User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Thu 14-Feb-13 10:14:15
Print Post

TalkTalk Business router settings

[link to this post]

Recently upgraded from TTB ADSL to their LLU service, thus no longer have a BT line rental bill. Was only provided with a new username and password to enter into my own router. Updating the router with ONLY these new credentials and broadband is up and running.

However I would have thought that other router settings would need tweaking as well to gain the best experience from the new service but am I mistaken on that issue?

Also no changes have been made to Microsoft Outlook's configuration pages. Despite continuing to use the original POP3 and SMTP information, dating back to Nildram days, everything continues to work. Again have I been shortchanged in the information needed to ensure the service keeps running?

Would appreciate observations and comments on the issues raised above.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Feb-13 14:07:01
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Business router settings

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Most ISPs (except O2/Be) use same router paras, PPPoA, VC MUX, 0/38, other than userID/pwd, on ADSL.

Presumably TT doesn't block port 25 SMTP OR you are not using port 25 SMTP, so email settings continue to work as is. POP3 is never affected by change of ISP.

No reason that you have been shortchanged.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Thu 14-Feb-13 14:18:40
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Most ISPs (except O2/Be) use same router paras, PPPoA, VC MUX, 0/38, other than userID/pwd, on ADSL.

Presumably TT doesn't block port 25 SMTP OR you are not using port 25 SMTP, so email settings continue to work as is. POP3 is never affected by change of ISP.

No reason that you have been shortchanged.

Since the original posting, the SMTP facilities have died. I was downloading emails from another source and sending them out using Nildrams SMTP with authentication. Tried my new user credentials but still no joy. So any suggestions for TalkTalk Businness SMTP server please? Port 25 was used.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Feb-13 14:27:24
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Business router settings - EDITED

Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing SSL Yes
Outgoing Authentication Yes
EDIT: Or for TT business:
Servername: smtp.talktalkbusiness.net
Connection Type: SMTP
Port: 25
SSL: Disabled
Authentication: Disabled

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 14-Feb-13 14:31:35)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Feb-13 14:40:30
Print Post

According to this page TT do not block port 25 SMTP, so existing settings should still work:
Are any services, content, applications or protocols always blocked on this product?**
If so what? NO

Standard User trolleybus
(member) Thu 14-Feb-13 14:49:57
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Right then, with your help we are getting there and will be using:

Servername: smtp.talktalkbusiness.net
Connection Type: SMTP
Port: 25
SSL: Disabled
Authentication: Disabled

But writing this from work I will have to wait until I get home to try it out. However a possible complication is pulling emails down for my domain name. I would have thought authentication would be required but the only credentials supplied were to connect to the Internet. Looks as though experimentation is going to be required on this one.

Surely someone else has gone down this route and has the answers, but maybe not.

As ever, responses gratefully received.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Feb-13 14:57:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
However a possible complication is pulling emails down for my domain name. I would have thought authentication would be required
It is, if you are talking about "pulling down" as in POP3, but it's your authentication for your domain/hosting service, not your authentication for TTB.

Standard User ntm1275
(learned) Fri 15-Feb-13 00:35:15
Print Post

So currently you are on TTB LLU and you moved from TTB ADSL

As you mention Nildram, were you on Nildram package before TT took over Pipex

The reason I'm asking is I was originally with Freedom to Surf which was taken over several times before it became Pipex, then Opal and now TTB

They gave me a new Username and Password when I moved to LLU, but I still use my old F2S email settings for inbound and outbound mail

If you look on TTB's web site they have a FAQ about email and they show the settings for F2S, Nildram, Pipex and TTB

Perhaps the settings mentioned there may help you

http://www.talktalkbusiness.co.uk/support/faq/

Click on 'Email, Domain and Webhosting' and it should give you some settings to try

Which email address do you have?
If using @nildram.co.uk or @gotadsl.co.uk, then you will need the Nildram settings of smtp.gotadsl.co.uk
or
If using @talktalkbusiness.net, then you will need smtp.talktalkbusiness.net

Talk Talk Business up to 24meg LLU
Sync Speed 23717 1020
Line Attenuation 17db 6.5db
Noise Margin 0.6db 14.9db

Edited by ntm1275 (Fri 15-Feb-13 00:43:12)

Standard User trolleybus
(member) Fri 15-Feb-13 17:22:04
Print Post

[re: ntm1275] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ntm1275:
So currently you are on TTB LLU and you moved from TTB ADSL

As you mention Nildram, were you on Nildram package before TT took over Pipex

The reason I'm asking is I was originally with Freedom to Surf which was taken over several times before it became Pipex, then Opal and now TTB

They gave me a new Username and Password when I moved to LLU, but I still use my old F2S email settings for inbound and outbound mail

If you look on TTB's web site they have a FAQ about email and they show the settings for F2S, Nildram, Pipex and TTB

Perhaps the settings mentioned there may help you

http://www.talktalkbusiness.co.uk/support/faq/

Click on 'Email, Domain and Webhosting' and it should give you some settings to try

Which email address do you have?
If using @nildram.co.uk or @gotadsl.co.uk, then you will need the Nildram settings of smtp.gotadsl.co.uk
or
If using @talktalkbusiness.net, then you will need smtp.talktalkbusiness.net

Joined Nildram in 2003 and found myself eventually with TalkTalk. Before moving over to the new package my previous bills were made up of broadband at £23.12 + fixed IP at £2.98. I also had to pay BT for my line rental and any calls made.

The TalkTalk Business LLU service includes broadband [with fixed IP] and line rental to which I have added Anytime calls and CLI.fixed monthly charges. Fixed costs are lower and if able to use just 01/02/03 numbers, there will be nothing more to pay.

The former contract did have an gotadsl.co.uk email address but I use my own domain name and use the associated POP3 server. Emails were sent out using the non standard SMTP server of smtp-auth.gotadsl.co.uk authenticated with my gotadsl.co.uk email address.

Following the go live date for the LLU service, the new logon credentials were added to the router and we had a broadband service. Next I used webmail to establish if the old gotadsl.co.uk address was still available. It was. I therefore reasoned that emails going out via smtp-auth.gotadsl.co.uk should still be OK. They were.

My concern is how long will it be before the old email credentials are killed off since I would rather configure my email client with settings true for the foreseeable future.

The reason for using smtp-auth.gotadsl.co.uk with authentication is that I can be connected to any ISPs service and still able to dispatched emails. I could use the SMTP hosting facilities provided by my hosting provider but that server has a low reputation and therefore emails to many users in my address book don't get through.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 17-Feb-13 16:12:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Following the go live date for the LLU service, the new logon credentials were added to the router and we had a broadband service. Next I used webmail to establish if the old gotadsl.co.uk address was still available. It was. I therefore reasoned that emails going out via smtp-auth.gotadsl.co.uk should still be OK. They were.

My concern is how long will it be before the old email credentials are killed off since I would rather configure my email client with settings true for the foreseeable future.
That server is owned by http://www.verygoodemail.com/ so you could ask them wink

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to