User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jidimite54
(newbie) Thu 21-Feb-13 13:48:21
Print Post

Cut off without warning

[link to this post]

I have been with Talk Talk about 10 months with very little problem.
However, when I got in from work last night both my phone line and broadband were down.
I thought it must just be a fault. Anyway, this morning I called their customer services to be told that my services had been disconnected as my 1 year contract is up.
(It is'nt ). I have always paid my bills on time and am at a loss as to why they did this.
I have had no warnings or anything about the end of service.
Anybody know what I can do about this?
I am dumb struck here... Surely a ISP can't just end your service without notice.

:0(
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Feb-13 14:55:54
Print Post

Re: Cut off without warning

[re: Jidimite54] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jidimite54:
I thought it must just be a fault. Anyway, this morning I called their customer services to be told that my services had been disconnected as my 1 year contract is up.

Ring them again. Contracts don't end unless specifically terminated by the customer, or by the ISP with appropriate notice.

Oliver.
Standard User Jidimite54
(newbie) Thu 21-Feb-13 15:07:48
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I have rung them again, I have told them I have contacted the Ombudsman but they just do not want to know. I asked to speak to someone in the UK but was told there was nobody.
I will just have to wait for the ombudsman to get back to me.
I am stunned that they can just cut someone's important services off without a by your leave.
The icing on the case is that they have sent me a email requesting I pay them £37.50 to finalise my bill.

You could not make it up this... :0((

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Feb-13 15:29:42
Print Post

BB contracts are open-ended with a Min. Term. They can be terminated by either party with suitable notice, but cannot be terminated by the ISP without some concrete reason that you have in some way breached the contract or acted unlawfully or that they cannot continue to provide the Services.
12.3 We can suspend or end the Services (or both) immediately and without notice:

12.3.1 if you break any term or condition of this contract or make a material mis-statement in any details supplied to us;

12.3.2 if you fail to pay the Charges due for the Services within 30 days after we have written to you to tell you that your payment is overdue or your chosen payment method seems not to be valid;

12.3.3 if for reasons outside our control, we cannot continue to provide the Services;

12.3.4 if you use abusive or threatening behaviour while using the Services (including when talking to our Customer Service agents);

12.3.5 in accordance with condition 4.9;

12.3.6 if you are involved in the unlawful copying of content of any of the TV Services;

12.3.7 if you are a TV Services customer and you cease to be a Broadband Services customer for any reason;

12.3.8 if you break our Acceptable Use Policy or Privacy Policy even if you are not aware that you have done so; or

12.3.9 our authorisations under the Communications Act 2003 are revoked.
You cannot resort to the Ombudsman Service w/out 1st lodging a formal complaint with the ISP.

EDIT: Write to them with a formal complaint & enquire under which clause of their T&Cs they are terminating.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 21-Feb-13 15:48:57)

Standard User Jidimite54
(newbie) Thu 21-Feb-13 17:29:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I hardly used the broadband, I just had the phone line for the broadband.
I have always paid my bills and not broken any rules.
I have called them back but I cannot get anyone who will tell me different than. 'Your one year contract is up and if you want your services back you will have to sign up again from scratch. '

I have emailed a official complaint but have heard nothing.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Feb-13 20:09:12
Print Post

You will need to give them some time to reply, if they don't reply, or reply with an unsatisfactory response, refer to the ombudsman. I would definitely think termination with zero notice is worth compensation.

Meanwhile you might as well sign up with someone else as I don't see TalkTalk reconnecting you any time soon without a new contract (which I, personally, would be reluctant to sign).

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Thu 21-Feb-13 20:09:53)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Feb-13 23:16:54
Print Post

Give 'em time!

They have 8 weeks to resolve it, I'm afraid, or reach deadlock before you can use the Ombudsman Service.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Stoatwblr
(newbie) Sat 23-Feb-13 04:52:35
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

The ombudsman path is entirely voluntary - there is absolutely nothing stopping you from taking it to small claims court.

As for staying with them - after that stunt, would you have any confidence they wouldn't do it again?

Do you want to stop spam, or do you just want to stop receiving it?
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Feb-13 07:03:07
Print Post

[re: Stoatwblr] [link to this post]

See it as a bullet dodged, go with a better isp.

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Attainable 94040D 34659U
Sync 79999D 20000U
Attenuation: 10.1 SNR: 16.2
Line Length 300meters
  Print Thread

Jump to