User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User garyparson
(learned) Tue 05-Mar-13 17:31:31
Print Post

LLU Speed question

[link to this post]

The first 8 months i was with Talk Talk i got 18 meg download speed consistantly on my LLU service. I used speedtest.net all the time to check it. Was pretty happy with this as I'm not that far away from the exchange. Then one day i noticed the speed had gone out the window and was about 2 meg lol. I rang them up and to cut a very very long story short including numerous calls to india, call outs from bt engineers etc etc, the most i can now get is about 14 meg. Have they capped LLU or something? Or am i being fobbed off? I'm practially on top of the exchange so the 'up to 24 meg' seems wide of the mark, i'd have to be sitting IN the exchange for that i assume.

I use a belkin router which has been the one to get 18 meg speeds and also tried the talk talk one (white box) which seemed worse.

Edited by garyparson (Tue 05-Mar-13 17:33:07)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Mar-13 18:13:23
Print Post

Re: LLU Speed question

[re: garyparson] [link to this post]

Post your router stats so we can tell what you should get.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User garyparson
(learned) Tue 05-Mar-13 22:59:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Type Interleave Path
Status SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
16187Kb 1004Kb

Noise Margin
12 12

Output power(dBm)
123 199

Attenuation(dB)
21 7

Like i say, i got 18 meg for nearly a year.

Edited by garyparson (Tue 05-Mar-13 22:59:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Mar-13 23:32:13
Print Post

And so you should! This is part of the problem:
In reply to a post by garyparson:
Noise Margin
12 12
Down NM too high; usually about 6dB. Could be losing you 2 Meg or more.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User garyparson
(learned) Tue 05-Mar-13 23:47:00
Print Post

so how do i change that?

ring india 'yet again' for n'th time and tell them to reset my settings? done that about five times.
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Mar-13 00:10:50
Print Post

Or you could just sign into the members forum , make a request for your line to be put back on a 6db profile and never speak to a Indian call center ever again ( which is how all savvy TalkTalk customer deal with the beast ).

the irony of the fact , that you should never actually use the phone to speak with a company called TalkTalk has not escaped me and neither should it you but heed my words and you will find dealing with TalkTalk becomes allot easier and less stressful .

Use the forum , not the phone . and be clear that you don't ask to be reset , you ask to be put on a 6db profile .

Edited by woweebert (Wed 06-Mar-13 00:18:33)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Mar-13 00:19:32
Print Post

Don't you have some sort of control panel at TT site where you give some short string specifying the Target NM and Interleaving/Fast Path?

Else you need to speak to them.

Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Mar-13 00:32:48
Print Post

I'm starting to ponder the point that Talktalk default profile is 12db , we have all seen this enough times to know this to be true .

So my point is , how are they getting away with advertising 16mb when there default uses a 12db SNR when other use 6db as a default and also advertise 16mb .

Would 10% of there customer base be able to get 16mb on a 12db profile ?
Standard User garyparson
(learned) Wed 06-Mar-13 02:00:24
Print Post

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

ok, gonna try this. have asked for my profile on the forum to be set up.

i'm sure they gave me some drivel about it being unstable if i used that profile but i know for a fact i've had a solid 18 meg for about 8 months prior to it being fubar'd.

will let you guys know what happens. crosses fingers...

Edited by garyparson (Wed 06-Mar-13 02:00:53)

Standard User Myth
(committed) Wed 06-Mar-13 05:05:20
Print Post

they may be right about instability causing the 12db profile to kick in, but as this has developed i'm sure you'd rather find and fix the fault , not adjust something else to hide it or make allowances for it.

If your mechanic restricted your car to 50mph because (there's a lethal wobble at 60mph" you'd probably wonder why he hasnt fixed the lethal wobble.

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to