User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thripston
(newbie) Wed 17-Apr-13 20:07:04
Print Post

Talk Talk Essentials deal worth it?

[link to this post]

I just accepted the doorstep offer for this and gave my sort code and account number (against my better judgement). The deal sounded like it was a better and cheaper service than what I currently have. The guy insisted I could cancel the arrangement within 15 days and if I did my current service would be unaffected, no money will be taken from my account etc.

I'm currently with Plusnet DSL and I pay £30 a month for line rental, anytime calls with 1471 and 1571, broadband with 60gb cap.

He reckons for £23 a month i can have unlimited calls, unlimited and uncapped broadband. Plus its ex directory, has caller ID, child proofing. Also has SSS and FOWR but can't remember what that stands for. Probably nothing Plusnet aren't giving me anyway.

Can someone shed a little light here, there has to be a catch somewhere. I've only taken the risk because as far as I am aware I havent comitted myself to anything and I can change my mind before it goes live. But maybe I actually have comitted myself and its all a clever con.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Apr-13 20:32:28
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk Essentials deal worth it?

[re: thripston] [link to this post]

Give Plusnet a call they may be able to offer you a better deal than the one quoted by TT. Plusnet offer from Market 2/3 exchanges (low cost area) 12 month unlimited broadband for £4.99 p.m. and line rental at £13.99 p.m. That would of course mean a new contract if you are out of contract at the moment with Plusnet.

TT would be full LLU whereas PN is possibly 21CN WBC from your exchange and both would give you similar downstream sync speeds both being ADSL2+.

What is your exchange so we can check it's LLU, 21CN WBC and Market status?
Standard User thripston
(newbie) Wed 17-Apr-13 20:48:29
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I'm still in contract with Plusnet, (I [censored] better be anyway) that £4.99 deal doesn't apply to existing customers.

Everything else you said was pretty much technobabble but I think I got the gist and I'm not expecting anything better or worse as far as connection is concerned.

I'm in Leigh on sea, no idea what my exchange is.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Apr-13 20:51:22
Print Post

Sounds like line rental plus essentials and the anytime add-on probably.

Line rental at £14.95, £3.25 for broadband and think its £5 for the anytime boost, very close to the £23.
Without a confirmation of the product names it is hard to know. I trust you checked their ID before handing over bank account details?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User thripston
(newbie) Wed 17-Apr-13 21:03:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The package i've just (potentialy) signed up to (unless I cancel within 15 days) is the Essentials one with an ANytime Calls boost.

For all I know the ID was fake, it all seemed genuine. Ive got an email from Talk Talk so I guess it was legit. They only got my sort code and account number anyway. As far as I know they'd need my pin or the 16 digit number to actually be able to do any damage. (or am I massively naive there?!)

Anyway, my main concern right now is the usage arrangement. A little digging tells me its only unlimited for 12 months. What happens after that? My current deal with Plusnet is its unlimited from midnight to 8 am and 60gb max outside of that. Is TT similar?

How tough are TT on policing downloads? Plusnet dont seem to give a dam what I do and that arrangement suits me just fine.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Apr-13 21:18:11
Print Post

The essentials unlimited, no one has moaned yet after the 12 months. Its more like outside the 12 months they will let you have unlimited if they like you.

Old limit was 40GB, but no peak or offpeak in that.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User HTTP404
(learned) Wed 17-Apr-13 21:22:09
Print Post

TalkTalk Essentials is unlimited downloads (there is an FUP in there somewhere but no one on the TT forums has ever seen it applied) - you would get a warning first anyway. P2P is about the only thing that is restricted (during peak hours). The unlimited is a permanent thing - not just the 12 months of your initial contract.

The 12 month bit in your agreement will be referring to the 12 months half price offer - that will go up to full price unless you phone their retentions department near the contract end date and negotiate yourself a new contract.

But all the information is on their web site - just check for the basic Essentials deal, then look at the "boosts" (those are the add on's, like anytime calls).

By giving your bank account details you will have provided sufficient information for them to set up a Direct Debit. And as Direct Debits are variable amount on variable dates you have given sufficient info for them to "withdraw" money from your account - so check your bank details and make sure it is TalkTalk that have set up a DD.

Edited by HTTP404 (Wed 17-Apr-13 21:28:39)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Apr-13 22:15:13
Print Post

[re: HTTP404] [link to this post]

They can also migrate you to the service even if in contract with another provider, as no need to supply a MAC.

Standard User HTTP404
(learned) Wed 17-Apr-13 22:22:59
Print Post

And if you're still in contract with PlusNet there may be cancellation charges.
Standard User thripston
(newbie) Wed 17-Apr-13 23:16:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
They can also migrate you to the service even if in contract with another provider, as no need to supply a MAC.

Obviously that's a good thing if Plusnet decide to be awkward. They won't actually do that anyway though I hope.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to