User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mgzt1
(newbie) Mon 29-Apr-13 18:14:18
Print Post

are Talk talk as bad as they used to be ?

[link to this post]

I am considering swapping from BT to talk talk or plusnet, or the PO. Cost of talk talk is much lower than the others, next plusnet, next PO, and of course BT are the most expensive. Spoke to Bt who reminded me of talk talks reputation for 'throttling' is it, at peak times and their terrible tech service on both line and broadband. Plusnet looks favourite but I am in a rural exchange but as they are part of BT seems worth the risk. But, then, talk talk are a further £10 per month cheaper.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Mon 29-Apr-13 18:27:13
Print Post

Re: are Talk talk as bad as they used to be ?

[re: mgzt1] [link to this post]

Unfortunately many people only visit forums such as TBB to complain about ISP issues, it's less common to see users praising an ISP. I've been with TT for 18 months now and been very happy with the service. Any issues have been satisfactorily dealt with via the forums. They do throttle p2p at peak times but very easy to bypass using a cheap VPN service. You'll be fine on TT mate don't listen to the doom mongerssmile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 29-Apr-13 18:27:42)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Apr-13 18:32:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by mgzt1:
Plusnet looks favourite but I am in a rural exchange but as they are part of BT seems worth the risk. But, then, talk talk are a further £10 per month cheaper.

Are you not in a Plusnet "low cost area", i.e. Market 2/3 exchange? Also if TalkTalk don't have a LLU presence at your exchange then their broadband and phone deals can be relatively expensive...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User HTTP404
(learned) Mon 29-Apr-13 19:49:24
Print Post

Check out your local exchange (using SamKnows), if it has LLU presence then TT becomes a reasonable option (BT are unlikely to give TalkTalk any recommendations).

The PO recently did a deal to outsource their broadband, can't remember who won the contract but I think the deal was that TalkTalk would run/manage the broadband side.

So if your exchange is LLU, TalkTalk and the PO could be a very similar services although I think the Customer Service side for the PO is handled outside TalkTalk (but still at offshore centres).

If there is no LLU at your exchange you are probably best sticking with BT.

Edited by HTTP404 (Mon 29-Apr-13 19:52:06)

Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Sat 04-May-13 06:58:10
Print Post

Been with TalkTalk for almost 4 years now with no problems. I'm on a rural exchange with full LLU giving me a very stable 19Mbps download speed. Never used their telephone support and occasionally browse the members forum to see what is going on.
Standard User watchdog60
(newbie) Wed 15-May-13 21:28:45
Print Post

TT are good as long as you do not end up having any problems. I have been with TT for more than 6 years. I have had issues when ever I changed contracts/ when 18 month contracts ended. The help desk based in India is awful. You keep repeating yourselves a hundred times. They probably read a scrip/trouble shooting process from the screen like idiots.

I called them yesterday as my fibre optics that was working well at 38mbs has suddenly dropped down to 28mbs. Luckily the guy on tech help desk was hundreds of miles away in India. I was hopping mad. He just spoke like an uneducated stupid man. He wasted 45 minutes of my time and finally he said that my line is not on Fibre. I tried my best to tell the dumb idiot that I have been on it since January 2012! and I'm being charged for Fibre too. He just didn't listen. He then transferred me to the billing department. Unbelievable. I got frustrated and told the billing guy that I rather speak to someone in UK who could understand the issue (I know that never happens!).

I hope to cancel TalkTalk when my contract ends in July. Not because of quality of Broadband or the phone but because the help desk based in India is diabolical, useless and rubbish. They never resolve an issue.

I hope to join Virgin. I was with them prior to joining Talk Talk. It is costly but my next door is very happy with his broadband and phone.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Thu 16-May-13 08:14:16
Print Post

[re: watchdog60] [link to this post]

Just curious why you didn't ask on the TT forums as every man & his dog knows that's the best channel for decent support. Perhaps your 28 meg connection wasn't fast enough to access the TT forums?

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Thu 16-May-13 08:51:16
Print Post

Phone them up, select the option to say you want to leave and this will put you through to someone in the UK - often they will help with technical enquiries.

Edited by huwwatkins (Thu 16-May-13 08:52:36)

Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-May-13 10:19:27
Print Post

After being with talktalk for 6 years you would of thought , you might of worked out , using the phone is the worst possible way of dealing with talktalk .
Standard User TPCR
(newbie) Fri 31-May-13 13:16:31
Print Post

They have got their own forums that are very good on the whole

In reply to a post by watchdog60:
TT are good as long as you do not end up having any problems. I have been with TT for more than 6 years. I have had issues when ever I changed contracts/ when 18 month contracts ended. The help desk based in India is awful. You keep repeating yourselves a hundred times. They probably read a scrip/trouble shooting process from the screen like idiots.

I called them yesterday as my fibre optics that was working well at 38mbs has suddenly dropped down to 28mbs. Luckily the guy on tech help desk was hundreds of miles away in India. I was hopping mad. He just spoke like an uneducated stupid man. He wasted 45 minutes of my time and finally he said that my line is not on Fibre. I tried my best to tell the dumb idiot that I have been on it since January 2012! and I'm being charged for Fibre too. He just didn't listen. He then transferred me to the billing department. Unbelievable. I got frustrated and told the billing guy that I rather speak to someone in UK who could understand the issue (I know that never happens!).

I hope to cancel TalkTalk when my contract ends in July. Not because of quality of Broadband or the phone but because the help desk based in India is diabolical, useless and rubbish. They never resolve an issue.

I hope to join Virgin. I was with them prior to joining Talk Talk. It is costly but my next door is very happy with his broadband and phone.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to