User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Xplosion
(member) Sat 11-May-13 17:40:39
Print Post

Ordered Plus TV

[link to this post]

Rang Sky earlier to cancel, they said "sir you've been a loyal customer for 13+ years" but the best advice they could offer to save money with them would be to cancel my HD pack. No thanks! Expected a good retentions deal but no :cry:.

So I went through TopCashBack and signed up with TalkTalk, I'm getting a free YouView box, router, unlimited broadband and anytime calls for just £10 a month (1st 6 months) and line rental is only costing me £114 a year.

The only thing that worries me is the amount of references to a 'New line' and their requirement for me to select an engineer slot for the telephone and broadband, despite me providing them with my current, working Sky landline number during the availability check.

I've had my number for over 10 years now, everyone I know knows it so they'd better migrate it. Some reassurance was given from Sky whilst on the phone to them earlier, when I asked whether I could take my Sky number with me to TalkTalk and the bloke on the phone told me TalkTalk should get into contact with Sky to arrange this.

Once I receive the welcome pack which contains my account number I'll be able to check this with the Members Forum OCEs. If they can't give me any solid advice/assistance I'm in the hope they'll either realize there's no need for an engineer by cross checking my address and finding a working telephone line or the engineer arrives and sees the existing setup then take care of it.

Anyway, any advice about the number situation would be greatly appreciated (oh, forgot to confirm that I'm on the SVBN which is Sky's LLU network). I'll keep you all updated on my order and how it progresses.

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Standard User Xplosion
(member) Sat 11-May-13 18:46:20
Print Post

Re: Ordered Plus TV

[re: Xplosion] [link to this post]

Okay situation update. My MyAccount is listing a brand new phone number which I'm not impressed about. I contacted Live Chat support who were unhelpful. Here's the transcript...

Mario R: Hi, thank you for contacting TalkTalk today, how can I help you?
You: I signed up to TalkTalk today and MyAccount is showing a new number but I would like to keep my existing number
Mario R: Hello, good evening. Where have you place the order if I may ask? Was it online or by calling to our Sales team?
You: Online
Mario R: I see, which provider were you with before if I may ask?
You: Sky
Mario R: I see, I am sorry, customers from Sky are not able to keep their existing number in the mean time.
Mario R: And you are provided with a new number for our services.
You: Will I keep the same physical line just a new number?
Mario R: I believe so, you can keep the existing line inside your premises.
You: Okay also I phoned Sky earlier who said TalkTalk can place an order with them to bring the number so is this possible?
Mario R: You mean vice versa? From Talk Talk to Sky, I am not really sure about that. I apologise .
You: No I mean that Sky said TalkTalk can request the Sky number
Mario R: I see, I believe it was possible before, however right now, Sky customers were not able to keep their number if you transferred to us. I believe Virgin Media customers can in the mean time.
You: Okay, I am disappointed because I will need to tell everyone of my change of number I'd really like to be able to keep it
Mario R: I am sorry to know that, you can try ringing our sales team about this on this number: 0800 049 9999.
Mario R: And opening hours: Monday-Thursday: 08:0022:00 Friday: 08:0021:00 Saturday: 08:0020:00 Sunday: 09:0020:00 Bank Holidays: 09:0020:00

So I'll ring sales later and see what, if anything they can do. I would try the Members Forum but my account is probably too new as it isn't registering.

Any other advice?

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-May-13 19:14:00
Print Post

Look up OFCOM on Number Portability.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Xplosion
(member) Sat 11-May-13 19:20:39
Print Post

Just called the number the Live Chat guy gave. Spoke to a nice bloke in sales who confirmed there is no porting agreement between Sky and TalkTalk so my number cannot be kept.

I guess I'll have to grin and bare it with the new number, on the bright side I won't get so many bullcrap telemarketing calls.

Anyhoo here's the current status of my order: http://oi42.tinypic.com/2rxxovp.jpg

Sky Broadband Unlimited

Edited by Xplosion (Sat 11-May-13 19:23:59)

Standard User Xplosion
(member) Sat 11-May-13 19:21:24
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Look up OFCOM on Number Portability.
Indeed, it's Sky's responsibility to allow portability but TalkTalk is not required to accept the number.

Sky Broadband Unlimited

Edited by Xplosion (Sat 11-May-13 19:23:33)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-May-13 19:23:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Xplosion:
Indeed, it's Sky's responsibility to allow portability but TalkTalk's are not required to accept the number.

Backwards step, I know people in the past who have ported a number from Sky to Talktalk so it looks like something changed.

Oliver.
Standard User Xplosion
(member) Sat 11-May-13 19:25:35
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Indeed, it's Sky's responsibility to allow portability but TalkTalk's are not required to accept the number.

Backwards step, I know people in the past who have ported a number from Sky to Talktalk so it looks like something changed.
It was possible before
Mario R: I see, I believe it was possible before, however right now, Sky customers were not able to keep their number if you transferred to us. I believe Virgin Media customers can in the mean time.

But not now

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-May-13 19:32:02
Print Post

Ofcom should be asking why, since if it worked before they can't claim it's technically impossible.

Oliver.
Standard User Xplosion
(member) Sat 11-May-13 19:36:26
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Ofcom should be asking why, since if it worked before they can't claim it's technically impossible.
Agreed, just sounds like they cannot be bothered to contact Sky to be honest. They should be required to accept the number in the same way Sky are required to make it portable, numbers are very important to some people (especially those who own a business). The whole idea of LLU migrations seriously needs a reform.

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-May-13 19:44:29
Print Post

Agreed, just sounds like they cannot be bothered to contact Sky to be honest.

Either that or Sky have decided not to play ball. If Talktalk used to bother in the past, I don't see why they would stop. Of course on the other hand one can see why it's in Sky's interests not to release the number (which is probably why Ofcom mandate that they do).

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to