User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bossworld
(regular) Wed 15-May-13 17:45:37
Print Post

Moving to TalkTalk (Fibre) and a bit confused

[link to this post]

I'm currently with O2 for home phone and broadband, 12 month contract expires 11th June and I want out before they transition to Sky.

I'm on a new build estate that appears to be using spare wires or something else; basically my download speed on LLU O2 is only 7Mb, so I wanted fibre where they've quoted up to 55mb.

I spoke to O2 who gave me a MAC code, and I asked them to cancel the service after the final bill. They advised me to transfer to a new provider no earlier than the 21st May and that no provider would do it that soon anyway (fair enough).

I then signed up on TalkTalk's website late last night, choosing the fibre option. Paid the year's line rental up front and chose the £10 p/m Fibre medium option (38mb).

After much to-ing and fro-ing between the two today, I've established the following.

1) O2's MAC code isn't a cancellation request if the MAC isn't used.
2) TalkTalk say they don't need the MAC because they're taking over the line as well, and that they've scheduled to take it over May 30th, and keep my phone number.
3) TalkTalk say that my order will put me onto 'Essentials' but I'll then need to ring back to order Fibre? Is this the normal route, surely I've ordered Fibre and as soon as my ADSL goes live they should contact Openreach? They've now mentioned it could be up to 2 months before the fibre gets put in.
4) Also, can the Openreach engineer make my lounge socket the 'master' socket without having to tack a wire to the skirting board through the house? The house was built in 2009 so we've got an external BT box on the outside of the house. The nearest socket to the outside is in the hallway and no where close to any mains sockets.

Many thanks for any help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-May-13 18:19:59
Print Post

Re: Moving to TalkTalk (Fibre) and a bit confused

[re: Bossworld] [link to this post]

1. Correct
2. Correct
3. Did the TalkTalk website actually say you can have Fibre now if you used their checker, if yes and the phone people say no, then get any promise to move you to fibre in writing. Moving to ADSL2+ on their network may be simipler, but should only be a week or so after that for the fibre order. Sounds like TalkTalk may not be ready for fibre in your area, how long has it been showing on the checker.
4. All depends on the wiring already present, and how long it will take.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bossworld
(regular) Wed 15-May-13 18:46:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, on a side topic are you the same chap who used to frequent the Pipex boards back in the mid 2000s? smile

If all else fails, I could probably blank off the socket nearest the hall and connect the wires to the lounge one (in effect it would then just be transferring it down). Will see what they say as/when Openreach come out. I think I'd read elsewhere that they can swap sockets around (presumably by swapping the wires around). Don't care if we lose the socket in the hallway but don't want 20 metres of cabling tacking to a skirting board.

The TalkTalk checker said yes:

Great news,
Superpowered Fibre Broadband is available now

Superpowered Fibre Broadband is available with TalkTalk Essentials

Your Essentials unlimited Broadband and your phone will go live in no more than 2 weeks
You will then be sent a date for your FREE Superpowered Fibre installation
You can change your date easily if it's not convenient
You will keep your existing landline number
There will be no break in your broadband service

BT says:

Exchange BENTON is served by Cabinet 27
Available Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC FTTC Up to 55 Up to 18 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 6 -- 4 to 8 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 6 Up to 1 4 to 8 Available
ADSL Max Up to 5 -- 3.5 to 7.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

I'm still none the wiser from O2 as to if/when I need to contact O2 to cancel anything else but probably going to wait until the 30th to make sure we don't lose anything or have much downtime.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-May-13 19:55:22
Print Post

[re: Bossworld] [link to this post]

If TalkTalk drag heals, then looks like no reason as showing as available now.

Some people (but those leaving Sky/TalkTalk) have reported migration problems between two fibre providers, so maybe TalkTalk is playing things say.

The fibre with TalkTalk is seen as a boost on top of the Essentials product, rather than a product of its own.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to