User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ashmo
(newbie) Wed 29-May-13 18:11:33
Print Post

Own fibre router settings?

[link to this post]

Going to be using my own router (WR841N) what settings would I need to input for it to work, do I need to change the default getaway IP as I've read of some conflict between the router and open reach modem?

Edited by ashmo (Wed 29-May-13 18:11:52)

Standard User Myth
(committed) Thu 30-May-13 14:05:08
Print Post

Re: Own fibre router settings?

[re: ashmo] [link to this post]

if it is just a modem then the router will get DHCP information from the ISP, and this should include the correct default gateway,

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Standard User ashmo
(newbie) Thu 30-May-13 17:40:59
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

Its a router not a modem, no need to replace the open reach modem just the [censored] talktalk router.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 30-May-13 18:29:28
Print Post

It should just work.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User Myth
(committed) Thu 30-May-13 22:04:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by ashmo:
Its a router not a modem, no need to replace the open reach modem just the [censored] talktalk router.

i was talking about the thing you describe as "the modem", ie the thing you are keeping.

If this is JUST a modem and doesn't do any routing/NAT/etc then it should be router-agnostic, and should just pass the DHCP requests from your new (non-TT) router to the ISP

Standard User lewisskinner
(newbie) Sat 01-Jun-13 09:33:30
Print Post

I can't speak definitively for TT, but there's no reason is theory why you cannot use a different router - you should simply need to enter your username and password in the WAN authentication settings page.

I use a different router from that supplied for my FTTC connection.

Incidentally, I would suggest keeping the TT supplied router, in case you have a problem, since the help desk may not be able to support a third-party router

I am a Plusnet Employee, but my opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent the views of Plusnet Technologies.

Plusnet FTTC Ping
Virgin Media 100Mbps Ping
Standard User technojeff
(newbie) Thu 06-Jun-13 01:23:13
Print Post

I am also attempting this but with a Billion 7800N router. I seem to come unstuck as I am getting authentication failures, not matter what I put in for username and password. When looking in the TTRouter, I see that theuser name and password are not required, but even removing them doesn't get me connected through to the internet.

If anyone has suggestions for settings, please let me know so that my wireless connectivity can return to some semblance of normality.
Standard User Myth
(committed) Thu 06-Jun-13 04:21:56
Print Post

[re: technojeff] [link to this post]

4am thoughts:

PPPoE or PPPoA

PAP, CHAP

vcmux or the other one

VC and the other things (0,38) (0,35) etc

Your router is still choosing the layer 2 protocols for the wire, so this needs to match what is happening at the ISP

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Jun-13 10:06:03
Print Post

[re: technojeff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by technojeff:
I am also attempting this but with a Billion 7800N router.

Isn't that an ADSL modem/router. You'll need a cable type router to work with the Openreach modem. Check your documentation to see if there is any way to use it without the ADSL modem but I doubt there will be - the only device I've actually seen that can be used for either is the BT HomeHub 3.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Jun-13 10:28:35
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/71-bi...

While it has an ADSL2+ modem it also has an Ethernet WAN port, though with the port only handling 95 Mbps when tested LAN to WAN, not sure it will be that great when a PPPoE session is in place too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to