User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Jun-13 20:05:20
Print Post

Traffic management / bandwidth shaping

[link to this post]

Everytime TalkTalk call me up trying to sell me their service, they always claim that they have zero traffic management on their network.

Is this true, or are they telling fibs?

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Jun-13 20:20:06
Print Post

Re: Traffic management / bandwidth shaping

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

It's true
TalkTalk Essentials and Plus products now Totally Unlimited
TalkTalk started to offer an unlimited downloads service on its Essentials package to replace its original 40GB monthly usage allowance a while ago, today shows another major change in that there will be no more usage of traffic management in peak hours on either the Essentials or Plus product range.

These changes mean the provider will be able to advertise its products as Totally Unlimited, as opposed to just unlimited, the key difference being that with a plain unlimited service reasonable levels of traffic management are allowed.

Previously the differentiation between Essentials and the Plus product was that Plus had less management, but now the Plus product is promoted as the Plus TV service, including a YouView box and unlimited calls to UK landlines.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Sat 22-Jun-13 20:22:30)

Standard User usesearch1
(newbie) Sat 22-Jun-13 20:20:56
Print Post

beaten to it but here's an addtional link to their policy http://www.talktalk.co.uk/legal/broadband-traffic-ma...

Edited by usesearch1 (Sat 22-Jun-13 20:24:31)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Jun-13 21:51:25
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

What about customer traffic going through their antivirus system? Is this still the case? I don't like the sound of that.

My neighbor has a TalkTalk connection and there is something just not quite right about it that I can't put my finger on exactly, the equipment/router is all good, as I set it up for him. That said, this was probably before the recent policy change.

Zen 8000 Pro
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Jun-13 21:59:20
Print Post

Explain the not quiet right?

A lot of people I think benefit by changing the DNS system used.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 22-Jun-13 22:19:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
A lot of people I think benefit by changing the DNS system used.

+1

Use OpenNIC DNS on TalkTalk and never had a problem.
http://www.opennicproject.org/

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Jun-13 23:11:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Laggy in places, does not perform as well as my Zen connection (despite the fact I am on 8Mbps and they are on 20Mbps).

Never thought of DNS, is there an issue with TalkTalk DNS? Seems bizarre an ISP would make their DNS servers a weak point.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 22-Jun-13 23:20:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Never thought of DNS, is there an issue with TalkTalk DNS? Seems bizarre an ISP would make their DNS servers a weak point.

I don't know why but from experience TalkTalk's DNS servers have never been the fastest. But its hardly a big deal, as the likes of OpenDNS, OpenNIC, google DNS etc work just fine.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Jun-13 23:48:50
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Would be happy to use the one in the OpenNIC, but wouldn't touch the others with a bargepole. As it happens, on Zen, using GRC DNS benchmark Zen's DNS servers are the best performing.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User asbokid
(member) Sun 23-Jun-13 01:02:38
Print Post

Two different DNS benchmarking tools report slightly different results:

GRC's DNS benchmarking tool was running in WINE. It reports that the Opal Telecom (TalkTalk) primary name server (62.24.139.9) provided by the peer during PPP session init, is overall fastest [1]

Whereas namebench [2] an open source alternative to the GRC tool, reports the benchmarking results in more detail:

According to namebench, the Opal nameserver (62.24.139.9) has the fastest individual response duration. [3]

However, on average, it is the ns8.bt.net nameserver (194.72.9.38) that is consistently fastest.
Hanging off that IP address, BT apparently runs Nomimum Vantio 5.2.0.1, the carrier-grade DNS caching engine [4]

Following close behind that BT name server is Google's Public DNS-2 server (8.8.4.4).

Although not really much to choose between any of the fastest servers!

cheers, a

EDIT:

namebench reported quite a number of failed responses or timeouts from the Opal primary nameserver, deciding eventually that it was "probably broken". So maybe the Opal server is actually pretty fast but only while its load isn't heavy, at which point it just ignores requests?

[1] http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/13387112/img/dns...
[2] http://code.google.com/p/namebench/
[3] http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/13387113/img/dns...
[4] http://www.nominum.com/products/core-engines/caching...

Edited by asbokid (Sun 23-Jun-13 02:25:52)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to