User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User joemardo1
(learned) Wed 31-Jul-13 18:12:30
Print Post

Is Talktalk fibre generally more reliable that ADSL?

[link to this post]

Hi there,

Got talktalk fibre medium yesterday 36mbps download almost 2 upload so happy enough with speed.

I was just wondering though (as I have been a talktalk adsl customer for a few years previous to this and the broadband was a bit choppy at times going down, sometimes thought it was at my end but always came back on after a while, as talktalk or the local loop enabled exchange got itself sorted out) if fibre is more stable in this regard, does it have to go though as much of Talktalks own network and equipment compared to its ordinary adsl?

In other words is Talktalk fibre just a resell of BT infinity?

Thanks
Joe
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 31-Jul-13 18:21:38
Print Post

Re: Is Talktalk fibre generally more reliable that ADSL?

[re: joemardo1] [link to this post]

Hi there,

Got talktalk fibre medium yesterday 36mbps download almost 2 upload so happy enough with speed.

What was your estimate. If uptake at your cab is quite low, you will likely eventually experience cross talk so the speeds likely to turn into a speed very close to the estimate overtime.

I was just wondering though (as I have been a talktalk adsl customer for a few years previous to this and the broadband was a bit choppy at times going down, sometimes thought it was at my end but always came back on after a while

If this was a one off, say once or twice a year I'd say that's ok. Anymore and I'd begin suspecting an underlying issue - unless TT are verifying a fault at their end each fault.

as talktalk or the local loop enabled exchange got itself sorted out) if fibre is more stable in this regard, does it have to go though as much of Talktalks own network and equipment compared to its ordinary adsl?

What happens is a fibre runs from the exchange to the local green cabinet. From here it goes to your address via copper. At the exchange it connects to TalkTalks network, not BTs. So it's essentially going down the same backhaul at the exchange as the ADSL was.

In other words is Talktalk fibre just a resell of BT infinity?

No, at the exchange BT infinity connects to BTs equipment, using BTs backhaul etc.
Simplistically, the only thing that's really changed is that from the exchange to the local green cab it's fibre now, not copper. If there was an underlying fault between the exchange and the cab, you wont see any drop outs again. If the issues were TT then the drop outs would occur on fibre or ADSL as far as I'm aware.
Standard User joemardo1
(learned) Wed 31-Jul-13 22:43:13
Print Post

Re: Is Talktalk fibre generally more reliable that ADSL?

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks a lot for that info. Hope it works out ok, speed is great at the moment.

Thanks again

joe

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to