User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Sat 10-Aug-13 00:37:02
Print Post

How long till it is stable?

[link to this post]

Hi,

Went live at 14:00 , at midnight it's still as slow as hell (0.5mb), I got 17.8mb (22mb @ router) with Sky.
How long will it take to speed up or is this not normal? stats below.

System uptime:

0d:8h:49m:2s
Modem ADSL (Sync) uptime:

0d:7h:12m:15s
Interleaving: On
ADSL mode:ADSL2+
ADSL setting: VPI: 0 VCI: 38
ADSL line speed (kbps):
Up: 101
Down: 821

Line attenuation (dB):
Up: 8.2
Down: 23.4

SN margin (dB):
Up: 14.8
Down: 9.9

Total errors seconds: 1

Thanks, Rob

P~K

"Some mornings, it's just not worth
chewing through the leather straps."
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Aug-13 00:39:49
Print Post

Re: How long till it is stable?

[re: PunKrocker] [link to this post]

Stats indicate a fault or problem somewhere.

I would recommend conducting all standard checks.... filter, cable, test socket, router etc.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Sat 10-Aug-13 01:19:51
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Thanks, tried the Sky modem and it still connects :

Connection Speed 522 kbps 91 kbps
Line Attenuation 24.5 dB 8.5 dB
Noise Margin 14.8 dB 14.7 dB

Don't know what the "engineer" has done, will try the master socket in the morning!

Used to be with Sky, all in same location.
:
Connection Speed 19997 kbps 1153 kbps
Line Attenuation 23.5 dB 13.9 dB
Noise Margin 5.4 dB 9.4 dB

P~K

Edited by PunKrocker (Sat 10-Aug-13 01:24:22)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Aug-13 06:49:30
Print Post

Yeah the new stats are showing a massive problem.
Try in the master and test socket (important), failing that...
(Post stats in the test socket for us)
That's not going to speed up there's a fault somewhere. Probably something to do with the TT equipment but not entirely sure.

They will have moved you physically from sky's equipment in the exchange onto talktalks equipment so this is likely where it's gone wrong for whatever reason.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 10-Aug-13 06:53:06)

Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Sat 10-Aug-13 09:38:11
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thank you.

This morning it reads :
ADSL line speed (kbps):Up: 350 Down: 3854
Line attenuation (dB):Up: 8.2 Down: 22.5
SN margin (dB):Up: 5.3 Down: 2.9
Total errors seconds:3

I will try in the master socket now and see what we get

Rob

P~K

Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Sat 10-Aug-13 10:22:59
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Tested at master socket / test socket. all results are the same.

ADSL line speed (kbps): Up: 354 Down: 3854
Line attenuation (dB): Up: 8.2 Down: 23.4
SN margin (dB): Up: 5.1 Down: 6.3
Total errors seconds: 1

Rob

P~K

Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Sat 10-Aug-13 11:35:15
Print Post

What have I done? I am drained after trying to deal with TT CS, that is the worst experience of online GobleDeGook I have came across in my puff.

I take it there is no UK contact for TalkTalk?

cheers, Rob

P~K

Standard User professor973
(experienced) Sat 10-Aug-13 12:37:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by PunKrocker:
What have I done? I am drained after trying to deal with TT CS, that is the worst experience of online GobleDeGook I have came across in my puff.

I take it there is no UK contact for TalkTalk?

cheers, Rob

There is contact, but by all accounts it's quite useless, the forum being better, which is totally useless if your BB is down!
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/talktalk/2727419-ta...

Zen Home Talk Plus - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Sat 10-Aug-13 13:24:48
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Register on the new community forum.

http://community.talktalk.co.uk/

Usually a delay of 3-4 days before you will receive a reply from one of the "OCE's"
Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Sat 10-Aug-13 17:26:54
Print Post

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies folks.

They eventually told me that I had 5mb in reserve for the TV service and 3.8mb for BB and that's all I would get. Told them to shove it, they told it would cost me £278 to cancel wink

Back to Sky we go smile

Rob

P~K

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Aug-13 17:46:09
Print Post

If it aint broke don't fix it. The same applies to ISPs. I always find moving away from where I'm happy is never a positive experience so I stick with what I know now. If you can get it cheaper elsewhere, instead of switching providers try to haggle a discount with the current provider smile

Best of luck. If the fault does follow you hopefully it'll get resolved.
Standard User Futaura
(committed) Sun 11-Aug-13 00:58:16
Print Post

Don't be too quick to believe what you were told! Something still obviously isn't right even if 5Mbps had been knocked off your sync speed for Plus TV. As has already been said, post your issue on the TalkTalk support forums, including your stats previously whilst using Sky BB. It looks to me like BTOR stuffed something up when connecting you to TT's equipment. An OCE on the forums will be able to help you I'm sure.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Aug-13 17:59:17
Print Post

[re: Futaura] [link to this post]

While I would expect Plus TV to use perhaps 5 Mbps of bandwidth if actually streaming IPTV content, I have not heard of it doing any bandwidth reservation when nothing is playing.

Most content most people watch on the YouView boxes is really just DTT over the antenna on their roof.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Sun 11-Aug-13 19:20:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thats what I thought, I got the impression that after (many) hours on the phone they did not have a clue, the final call I was told 3.8mb is all I would get and I had to pay £50 for an engineer to visit. I cannot accept this service nor do I want to deal with the Philippines call center ever again, my wife has contacted Sky and is in process of returning to them (with my tail between my legs) wink

Again thanks for all for help folks, much appreciated

Rob

P~K

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sun 11-Aug-13 19:50:16
Print Post

Its normal for those on the TalkTalk Plus TV package to have a lower broadband speed , the extra bandwidth is reserved for the TV service. When the TV service was first launched, many existing TT customers (who signed up to TV) sync speeds dropped by at least 5 meg but the original speeds returned after putting a request on the TT forums.....so nothing to be alarmed about. You need to go on the TT forums and request to be put on a standard 6db fastpath or interleaved profile. Its pointless asking TT's phone support...you may as well talk to a brick wall.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Aug-13 20:07:27
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

No way was that ever going to get back to the 20Mbps speeds they saw before without an engineer.

Also why would it reserve 5Mbps for TV? Surely it would still sync with that extra 5Mbps? Or am I wrong here?
Doesn't the YouView TV just download via the router much like skys on demand services?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sun 11-Aug-13 20:39:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
No way was that ever going to get back to the 20Mbps speeds they saw before without an engineer.

Also why would it reserve 5Mbps for TV? Surely it would still sync with that extra 5Mbps? Or am I wrong here?
Doesn't the YouView TV just download via the router much like skys on demand services?

Yeah i know, its more than likely the OP will require an engineer visit. However as things stand he's not on TalkTalk's optimum profile aka 24FSNR6 or 24ISNR6. TT forums were deluged with complaints from nearly every existing customer once their plus tv service went live re: lower sync speeds. I don't know the ins and outs of how/why TalkTalk reserve bandwidth for the TV service but the fact is that taking out the tv will lower your sync speeds by default and the only way to reinstate the speeds appears to be by asking an OCE on the TT forums.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 11-Aug-13 20:44:47)

Standard User Myth
(committed) Sun 11-Aug-13 20:46:26
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

if TT want to reserve bandwidth, they will have to do it within the TT network (or via QoS)

Having a lower sync speed can only give a better TV service to OTHER customers, not the actual customer suffering the reduced sync.

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Aug-13 21:07:01
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

Unless it is a way of them trying to ensure less errors, i.e. reducing buffering.

Seems odd when router based QoS can reserve bandwidth at the time it is needed. Sounds more like the old HomeChoice service description and that changed to on demand reservation in time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Aug-13 23:02:34
Print Post

If the modem stats in the first post are to be believed it only has a ~ 10dB margin and on a 23dB attenuation line should still be giving way way faster sync than sub 1Mbps those stats are showing. If the stats are to be believed (and the Sky router is showing a variation of the same story) there must be a massive external noise source fouling things up. Could this be a faulty router PSU? Only if it was left on when the Sky router was tried otherwise the source is a bit of a mystery but the only change that would have been made going from Sky to TT apart from the router would be at the exchange end and my guess would be a problem there.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Aug-13 23:19:24
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

A bad switched mode PSU (not even the routers) could cause a major problem...

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Aug-13 10:16:09
Print Post

True but there was no problem until the swap to TT. IMO it's too much of a coincidence for a PSU in the house to go wrong just as a new PSU comes in the door - ie the TT router one. As I already said though the Sky router is now showing that there is a surplus of noise from somewhere so was the TT PSU left plugged in when testing with the Sky router? If not then the chances are there is either a bad connection to the TT eqipment at the exchange or it's to a faulty port. The inability of the TT reps to determine there is a big problem from the stats alone suggests they are pretty clueless.
Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Mon 12-Aug-13 16:31:31
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

The TT and Sky routers PSU are different gauges so both where used with the relevant modem

The family wanted to leave TT as the support was terrible and did not want to deal with them in the future or wait 4 days for a TT forum reply, we are back with Sky today wink

Had the CS been better we would have waited for a fix, the last one told me 3.8mb was going to be the best we would get and the forum takes 4 days to reply, not good enough!

Connection Speed 22302 kbps 1145 kbps
Line Attenuation 23.5 dB 13.9 dB
Noise Margin 2.9 dB 9.0 dB

Speedtest :
TT: 56ms / 3.24 down / 0.30mb/s up (09/10)
Sky: 42ms / 19.3 down / 1mb/s up (12/10)

P~K

Edited by PunKrocker (Mon 12-Aug-13 16:44:03)

Standard User Futaura
(committed) Mon 12-Aug-13 18:22:35
Print Post

Hang on... how come you switched from TT back to Sky so quickly? Normally it takes at least 2 weeks to switch, depending on BTOR availability. I'm impressed that it took less than 72 hours, considering most of that was the weekend.
Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Mon 12-Aug-13 19:02:56
Print Post

[re: Futaura] [link to this post]

It was due to Sky not going to cancel until the 13th, so managed to cancel the cancellation from them.

Rob

P~K

Edited by PunKrocker (Mon 12-Aug-13 20:46:55)

Standard User Abe01
(member) Tue 13-Aug-13 20:03:09
Print Post

It was due to Sky not going to cancel until the 13th, so managed to cancel the cancellation from them.

Rob

That doesn't add up. If you we're live with talktalk then your line would be connected to their hdf in the exchange, sky can't just take it back without placing an order and sending another engineer back to the frame to move it over to their equipment.

If sky hadn't cancelled your account then reconnected you so quickly then that indicates you never left them in the first place
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Aug-13 21:18:50
Print Post

[re: Abe01] [link to this post]

Another line maybe... which then adds another factor in to the mix that it could be a single line fault in stead of provider fault.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Wed 14-Aug-13 08:56:29
Print Post

[re: Abe01] [link to this post]

We had 2 lines but connected to TalkTalk, well done Columbo smile It was a new line from TalkTalk, they gave me a new number and the Sky router no longer worked, the old still rang out, now we have the old number back and the new number still rings! The engineer was unsure of the job from Sky but went back to the cabinet etc and reconnected us, I think we were very lucky to have it sorted out so quickly, I think the best thing was hearing local voices again when calling Sky wink

P~K

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Aug-13 09:12:41
Print Post

We had 2 lines but connected to TalkTalk, well done Columbo smile It was a new line from TalkTalk, they gave me a new number and the Sky router no longer worked, the old still rang out, now we have the old number back and the new number still rings! The engineer was unsure of the job from Sky but went back to the cabinet etc and reconnected us, I think we were very lucky to have it sorted out so quickly, I think the best thing was hearing local voices again when calling Sky wink
Glad it's all sorted now. People do moan about Sky Customer services but atleast they're Irish Scottish or English and once you get beyond Tier 1 support they're fairly good. Even Tier 1 are able to make basic line adjustments and can spot a mile off when a lines under performing. If it's not broke don't fix it... Also Sky are pretty cheap anyway. The savings at TT are probably not worth it.
Standard User PunKrocker
(committed) Wed 14-Aug-13 12:00:52
Print Post

g. If it's not broke don't fix it... Also Sky are pretty cheap anyway. The savings at TT are probably not worth it.

Spot on smile thanks

Rob

P~K

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to