User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User morphix
(newbie) Wed 04-Sep-13 02:37:48
Print Post

Talk Talk Phone Line - Opinions?

[link to this post]

I'm thinking of having a Talk Talk phone line... is there any reason why I shouldn't?

(not broadband, just a phone service to use with other LLU broadband services, I'm thinking Xilo)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Sep-13 02:48:40
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk Phone Line - Opinions?

[re: morphix] [link to this post]

Do they do phone w/out BB? Don't see it on their site. As far as I know they now only do Full LLU, BB+ phone, just like your hated Sky.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Sep-13 03:05:12
Print Post

I would certainly recommend Zen for line rental and uno for TTB SMPF (partial LLU) broadband where an exchange is TalkTalk LLU'd smile

Both are on a 30 day minimum term but obviously the costs are higher than TalkTalk MPF (full LLU)

The post office is another possibility for line rental, although I have no personal experience with their service...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Thu 05-Sep-13 08:58:24
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Do they do phone w/out BB? Don't see it on their site. As far as I know they now only do Full LLU, BB+ phone, just like your hated Sky.

TalkTalk still do a LLU telephone service without BB however you may need to call them to signup:
http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/phone/

To the OP,
I've been with TalkTalk (full LLU) for 3 years now and not had any problems with the voice side of things. AFAIK they don't block any 080x numbers or 18185 service. Their online billing is pretty good too.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 05-Sep-13 09:00:33)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Sep-13 10:13:42
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
I've been with TalkTalk (full LLU) for 3 years now and not had any problems with the voice side of things. AFAIK they don't block any 080x numbers or 18185 service.

Both MPF providers (Talktalk and Sky) block prefix providers like 18185. 18185 provide a freephone number alternative, but it's more expensive than dialling 18185 since they charge per minute to a card.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Thu 05-Sep-13 10:16:21)

Standard User timl
(member) Thu 05-Sep-13 10:38:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by morphix:
I'm thinking of having a Talk Talk phone line...
Talk about jumping out of the frying pan into the fire!

If you 100% disliked Sky then Talktalk is like Sky x 100. Mind you, some people like the way they're treated by Talktalk.

From my personal experience Sky and Talktalk are very much similar services. That's not to say they aren't good services - in fact one of the broadband lines I look after is with Talktalk... and I can't say a bad word about... ok... the latency is a bit naff at 50ms to BBC.

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Sep-13 11:15:41
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

And if the OP or anyone took a LLU based PSTN service they would not be able to have BB with another supplier due to the line not being with BT as if on LLU it wont be WLR3 Do you want him engaging in an other rant ?

To the OP don't do it, Avoid both TT and sky then you have choice, You probably are not going to find a like for like deal at the same price as what you had, And unless you want to be tied into a 12mth contract it's likely that you may end up paying to have your existing line transfered back to BT's WLR3 platform

You could pay line rental to BT with LRS reducing the line rental costs a little and the free calling plan, as you use 18185 for calls an inclusive calling plan wont matter,

As for Xilo ,I have heard some good reports and Matt seems a decent enough guy , just a shame they don't answer the phones , So that could become an issue should the op have bb issues and need to speak to CS for that or indeed any other reason
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Sep-13 12:29:01
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

If I am confused by that post then many others will be.

What do you mean by a LLU PSTN service?

There is no provider who puts people who order a telephone service directly onto a full LLU service. Only if they also order broadband from the same company does this happen

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Sep-13 12:39:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
There is no provider who puts people who order a telephone service directly onto a full LLU service. Only if they also order broadband from the same company does this happen

Let's say someone had BT line rental and broadband, and decided to move line rental to Sky and keep BT broadband.

Would Sky provision line rental via WLR3, even though they have their own equipment in the exchange?

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Sep-13 12:57:17
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

If Sky took an order for just voice line rental, then yes

Subsequently you would of course get the upsell to take their broadband service, and if you said yes they would move you to the full LLU platform away from the WLR3 platform.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to