User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User barker04
(learned) Wed 04-Sep-13 17:48:48
Print Post

TalkTalk Essentials or Sky

[link to this post]

Thinking of getting either Talktalk essentials ADSL Broadband or the equivalent from Sky.

Does anyone here have Talktalk essentials? Wondered what contention etc was like, not that bothered about the support angle , am aware of the talktalk members forum.

Thanks
Standard User simon194
(committed) Sat 07-Sep-13 00:27:00
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Essentials or Sky

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

If you are talking about contention ratios, TT is 50:1 and Sky is 33:1.

My main issue with TT apart from appalling customer services was the fact my line synced at 12 Mbps and after a router reboot I got download speed of around 10 Mbps which dropped to a max speed of 6.8 Mbps (at any time of day or night) after about 2 hours. They said because the drop was less that 40% there wasn't a problem.

The last straw was when they terminated my service without warning or giving any reason why it was terminated.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Sep-13 00:51:33
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Defined contention ratios went out the window years ago.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User barker04
(learned) Sat 07-Sep-13 11:39:43
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thats what i thought, although concerned wanted to check that speeds were good and people wern't experiencing problems streaming iplayer etc at peak times?
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Sep-13 15:00:46
Print Post

On sky no issues on iplayer YouTube Netflix.
No slowdowns of torrents
Same speed all day at all houses I've had sky in.

No idea on talktalk but I know it feels slower than sky on a friends connection even though they sync higher... Probably due to the DNS used on TT.

Cashback at quidco, check that out!
Standard User santiagogarcia
(newbie) Fri 13-Sep-13 15:08:02
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Take anything but talk talk. Worst company I've had to deal with
Standard User Myth
(committed) Tue 17-Sep-13 14:11:02
Print Post

[re: santiagogarcia] [link to this post]

I think the TalkTalk experience depends entirely on your exchange and the general usage of the others connected there.

I feel they underprovision the backhaul, maybe in the same way F1 cars carry less fuel than they need for the race (at top power), but this means they can offer a cheaper service.

On LLU 3.5mbit, most things were fine, 1080P streaming wasn't, but 720p was normally ok. Torrents were mostly full speed off-peak, but could crawl between 5-11pm and Sundays.

Have been on fibre for a week now, torrents mostly at full speed (once i'd upped uTorrent cache) not really seen any issues.

Back in the day 1st line support were a pain, 3rd line seemed to be the only ppl able to help with actual fault issues. Not used the forum for faults as I've had none for the past 4 years.

Paying £20.25/month for medium fibre, anytime calls and very happy with current deal (£10.75 per month and £114 years line rental in advance.

For me, my local Fiat dealership, We Are Electricals and BT have been the worst companies I've dealt with.

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Standard User barker04
(regular) Tue 17-Sep-13 19:29:56
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

Has anyone else noticed these problems? I was under the impression that talktalk ran their network with no slow downs these days even at peak times?
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Sep-13 18:23:49
Print Post

I think you need to check on the talk talk actual forum boards direct. Most people on here do not use talk talk or have been bitten in the past a few years ago...

I have a few friends who use the talk talk adsl service and have no problem what so every. It just works.

If the price point fits then what do you have to loose. The same can be said for SKY, BT & the independents like vivaciti etc....

IanD
Standard User Futaura
(committed) Wed 18-Sep-13 18:43:45
Print Post

Speeds can depend on network/backhaul capacity constraints at the exchange in the area where you live. Even though TalkTalk are "totally unlimited", it is possible that speeds could slow at peak times because of this. However, this doesn't just apply to TalkTalk, but Sky and BT also. I remember reading not so long ago from some users who found Sky to be very slow at peak times, due to oversubscription. And we're on BT at work, with a good 8Mbps MaxADSL connection (syncs at max rate), but it is very clear that it gets nowhere near that in the evenings, where iPlayer stutters for example (no such problems on a TT LLU connection at the same exchange).

I'm not sure how good TalkTalk are at keeping up with demand these days, but the only time I've noticed slowdowns was around 3 years ago, but after a few weeks the speed went back up to normal after upgrades at my local exchange. I have a 10Mbps LLU connection and I'm very happy with it - never any problems with Lovefilm Instant, Netflix, iPlayer, etc and PS3 downloads nearly always transfer at the maximum speed my line is capable of.

The only real way to find out what the best option is speed-wise is to find out from others, on the same exchange as you, how good their connection is, etc?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to