User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hmsq
(committed) Tue 14-Jan-14 11:54:34
Print Post

Is this normal for TalkTalk Engineer?

[link to this post]

Guys,

Just asking for your opinion.

I've recently signed up for fibre with talktalk moving away from o2, today was engineer visit for installation of fibre broadband.

Early in the morning my internet was cutoff so no internet at present, engineer rang the bell to my door at about 11ish am telling me that he just double parked and quickly told me he had no access to the cabin as there is construction there(This is true), and to speak to takltalk and arrange another visit for 3 weeks, and he left.

However no chance to explaining to him that he should have access to cabinet as have all the Openreach engineers have done for the past 2 months, spoke to the site manager who said that they have other engineers use the cabinet and that they give the code to the lock when they are not onsite.

Now i'm stuck with no internet and phone, and the indian call centre keeps hanging up my calls.

So is it reasonable for an engineer to just do that? Should they not be aware about access to cabinet?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:31:25
Print Post

Re: Is this normal for TalkTalk Engineer?

[re: hmsq] [link to this post]

Presume you are referring to the Openreach engineer booked by TalkTalk, and if not a local engineer he may not have been aware of the arrangement with the construction office, depends on how formal that arrangement was.

A good chance that this engineer was not the one who disconnected you at the exchange side either.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hmsq
(committed) Tue 14-Jan-14 12:59:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

When he came to my door, he had no logos or a badge, he just said talk talk.

Funny as I left to work the Openreach van was parked next to the site and the Openreach engineer was working on the cabinet, this was not the same person that came to my door.

So how does this work? Is there 2 engineers doing the work or just one?

Edited by hmsq (Tue 14-Jan-14 13:00:03)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Jan-14 13:16:09
Print Post

Normally just one Openreach engineer will do the change at the cabinet and then goto the home.

TalkTalk does home visits e.g. setting up the YouView for people but they have no access to the street cabinet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hmsq
(committed) Tue 14-Jan-14 13:33:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OK then this is strange, so they(Openreach) sub contract also?

TalkTalk wasn't the friendliest on the phone, openreach report says metal plate blocking cabinet, I wonder what the other engineer that is currently working on it will say.

Now I'm looking at potentially February for activation, meanwhile no options given for no internet or phone.

I should've gone with my initial instinct and gone with another provider. frown
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Jan-14 14:08:32
Print Post

Openreach also subcontract - Kellys is a common name, and the sub contractors tend to know less and only do exactly what is on the job form, rather than a local Openreach one who may know various bits of local knowledge. There is a tendency to see more moans from the subcontractors.

As its full LLU in theory TalkTalk should be able to get the voice side up and running, and if no work was done at the cabinet also give you ADSL2+ in the meantime.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Tue 14-Jan-14 14:29:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by hmsq:
OK then this is strange, so they(Openreach) sub contract also?

TalkTalk wasn't the friendliest on the phone, openreach report says metal plate blocking cabinet, I wonder what the other engineer that is currently working on it will say.

Now I'm looking at potentially February for activation, meanwhile no options given for no internet or phone.

I should've gone with my initial instinct and gone with another provider. frown

Since you have alternative means of internet access, i suggest you post on the TT forums to get you reconnected to ADSL2+ ASAP. Ok fair enough, it'll take a day or two for them to respond but at least you won't need to waste your time talking to their hopeless call centres and chances are they will also compensate you for loss of broadband service...i would ask for at least 1 months free service.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 5S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User hmsq
(committed) Tue 14-Jan-14 15:07:28
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks didn't know they had a forum also, will also try and ask for internet at least adsl while waiting.
Standard User Myth
(committed) Wed 15-Jan-14 12:58:27
Print Post

also, for a switch to fibre they will access two cabinets. I presume only one is blocked so the OR engineer you saw could be at the other

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Jan-14 18:38:37
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

For FTTC they should actually only need to access one cabinet i.e. connect the telephone to one of the pairs that head off to and are already wired up in the FTTC cabinet.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to