User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-14 17:39:59
Print Post

Fibre line stats from TalkTalk router

[link to this post]

My brother has just had TT fibre installed. it's a long story, but his daughter had TT at another property and moved. As she was still in contract TT offered her a house move in lieu of paying the termination fee (engaging her into another 18 month contract in the meantime). My brother was on Sky ADSL and out of contract, so the deal was done.

It seems that there is not enough capacity on his cabinet (Tarragon Place, Bradley Stoke) to give decent speeds, but I cannot see what the line is synced at. He has the HG612 OR modem which I don't want/ know how to hack. I was hoping the TalkTalk router (black Huawei one) would show line stats of some sort, but it doesn't appear to. Instructions show how to show line stats for ADSL, but the green button is missing on fibre.

Is there a way at all of finding these out? I am wondering if he plugs his old Sky router into the OR modem, he should be able to access the interface and get figures from there? Our Sky router synced and worked on a TT enabled line when we moved in, or was that just a fluke?

Speedtests are reporting speeds ranging from 0.4mb- 36mb down, but only 1.96 up at all times of the day. He has been told the upload is the maximum available to him, that can't be right surely?

Thanks for any advice

http://www.holidayalmeria.co.uk - Holiday apartment website
http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Jan-14 18:15:45
Print Post

Re: Fibre line stats from TalkTalk router

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

The Sky router will only get the connection speed as part of the response from the Sky authentication server, so as its a TalkTalk line then nothing will be displayed.

If it is TalkTalk Medium then 1.96 Mbps up is to be expected, as they use the wholesale 40 down, 2 up product. So yes that is the maximum. There is a 40/10 product that TalkTalk don't sell.

On speedtests for download, speeds can vary and it may be the VDSL is fine and its the talktalk side that is varying. How do the graphs on the speedtest at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html look? If the tbbx1 is slow, but the httpx6 is fast then its contention usually, if both are slow it may simply be the distance from the cabinet.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 29-Jan-14 20:44:07
Print Post

Best way is to hack the modem, or buy a hacked modem or some other make that does display the sync speeds - BT Homehub 5 displays them.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-14 20:46:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Discus:
It seems that there is not enough capacity on his cabinet (Tarragon Place, Bradley Stoke) to give decent speeds, but I cannot see what the line is synced at.

You either get a FTTC connection or you dont.

Lack of capacity at the cabinet prevents you from being connected. As you are connected then capacity is not an issue for you.

If you want to see the line stats you can either hack the OR modem (dead simple) or get another modem or modem-router which gives this facility (not cheap).

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
  Print Thread

Jump to