User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User athegn
(committed) Wed 19-Feb-14 22:15:26
Print Post

Talk Talk Router lights

[link to this post]

A friend is with Talk Talk but has no internet. He has this router:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=talk+talk+router&c...

The only lights on are Power, WLan and LAN1. ADSL flashes.

I am remote from him. He obviously cannot login to Talk Talk portal so will have to phone. But can I tell what lights should be illuminated when working properly?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Feb-14 23:36:24
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk Router lights

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

Probably no ADSL signal, the assumption is that it is all plugged in correctly?

Can they log into the web interface on the router, there is usually more information present

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User athegn
(committed) Thu 20-Feb-14 07:14:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I should have said I was now remote.

Last evening I went to his house to try to help with his smart phone; I had downloaded the 134 page pdf instruction manual for that onto a CD. I found he does not have a working pc so could not put the manual on that or connect the router to a pc. His phone would not accept an OTG cable so could not put the manual on that either; I have the manual on a memory stick.

From talking to him I found out that his Talk Talk contract is for the phone with broadband free? All his family are on Talk Talk phone so that they can speak for free.

He and his son-in-law recently had a long talk with Talk Talk support with the result that he was sent a new router. However this does not seem to work. I powered off and rebooted. I saw what lights illuminated. I did not look at the wiring to see how it was laid out. I was able to get my and his phone to talk to the router but useless as the router would not talk to Talk Talk.

I tried to used my phone as a tether but the 3G signal was almost non-existant so was unable to help him use the smart phone side of his phone e.g. create a gmail account.

I advised that he should get back to Talk Talk.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Feb-14 10:28:18
Print Post

TalkTalk don't do free broadband, they have SimplyBroaband at £2.50 so unless they've negotiated a discount they do not have broadband.

Time to log into the Account area of the TalkTalk portal and discuver exactly what the account says for services that they have.

TalkTalk routers have the wireless enabled with the security details on a sticker on them, so connecting using WiFi and phones web browser is perfectly possible..

Re-reading your post you talk about phone in a way that might mean they just have a mobile phone contract? Are they paying for a TalkTalk telephone line? Cost of around £10.50 to £15.40 per month?

A sneaky feeling that someone has a mobile phone with free data.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User athegn
(committed) Thu 20-Feb-14 10:59:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

They do pay Talk Talk for telephone line; maybe they think it is free broadband but in fact they are paying that on top the line rental?

Will hopefully meet with them at weekend to see if I can further help them. Will check exactly what contracts they have got.
Standard User athegn
(committed) Mon 24-Feb-14 08:49:59
Print Post

Yes has Simply Broadband; not free.

Also advised to try quiet line test from test socket and also plug router directly into that to see if any difference.
  Print Thread

Jump to