User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Computerman142
(regular) Fri 09-May-14 18:34:39
Print Post

Just received a "free" TalkTalk YouView box.

[link to this post]

Hi

Today I got a parcel, I had no idea what it is and wasn't expecting anything. Opened it up and it was a TalkTalk YouView box and I was thinking to my self I haven't ordered this.

The letter that came with it said it was free and no contract commitment but I would like to clarify is it actually free and are there any catches? It says not but you know what these companies are like.

Will I have to sing up for the TV service, or will my bill randomly start shooting up 12 months down the line?

Please could someone give me some clarification if this actually a "free gift" or are they going to lock me into a contract and put my bill up when or if I turn it on?

I've looked on the TalkTalk site with the link they put but not sure whether to believe what it is they say.
Thanks

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2859828308
My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC - Currently getting 25Mbps on an interleaved FTTC line, was 26.5Mbps.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-May-14 18:52:31
Print Post

Re: Just received a "free" TalkTalk YouView box.

[re: Computerman142] [link to this post]

there is no such think as a free lunch. You are either paying for this now and do not know it or.... if you activate, you will pay something extra per month

IanD
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Fri 09-May-14 19:36:41
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

I guess they are hoping that you will use 'movies/sport/music..." on demand paid content

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-May-14 19:48:07
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Or perhaps Talktalk want to launch a fancy new Youview box, and they have a ton of old ones they want to get rid of.

Oliver.
Standard User rego
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-May-14 22:25:29
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In a way you are right. what was the talktalk broadband essentials now comes with a free you view box. There was a price increase to this package last month. If you do not want the you view box you can downgrade your package to what talktalk call basic, however you loose the free evening and weekend calls which also come as part of the essentials package.

Edited by rego (Fri 09-May-14 22:27:33)

Standard User youviewupdate
(newbie) Sat 10-May-14 02:11:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Computerman142:
I've looked on the TalkTalk site with the link they put but not sure whether to believe what it is they say.

It really is no strings attached.
It's a very good bit of PR for them - it will get lots of publicity, win them brownie points, and generate free advertising.
And they will also hope that you will subscribe to the extra channels (some of which are really very good) or buy movies from the various sources.

What it offers you is:

7-day catch up on TV
pause and rewind live TV
Sky channels, Sports and Movies
Sky Store
NOW TV
TalkTalk Box Office
Japanese (JSTV), South African (kykNET) and Arabic TV Boosts
Star TV
Eros Now
PictureBox
Concert TV

What's not to like?

Edited by youviewupdate (Sat 10-May-14 02:13:38)

Standard User Computerman142
(regular) Sat 10-May-14 08:47:02
Print Post

[re: youviewupdate] [link to this post]

Thank you,

I'm still not sure, surely there has to be some sort catch even if it small like iand said "there is no such think as a free lunch". I have emailed TalkTalk about it because when I logged into my account it said "You can keep all the best value benefits of your current package with the great low price of just £8.50 a month plus your standard line rental and get £5.00 off for 12 months on your existing SuperFast Fibre." There is also a button saying Add my free TV service on the splash page before I enter my account. Am I right in thinking that I am going to be charged an extra £8.50 on top of my package which costs the same as essentials TV?

Thanks

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2859828308
My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC - Currently getting 25Mbps on an interleaved FTTC line, was 26.5Mbps.
Standard User youviewupdate
(newbie) Sat 10-May-14 09:03:28
Print Post

surely there has to be some sort of catch

No - there is absolutely no charge for the box and there will be no increase in your monthly payment.
If you want to use the extra channels (like Sky Movies for example) then there is a monthly charge - actually TalkTalk are quite good about this because you can opt in and opt out without long term committments.
Similarly if you want to watch a new release film you have to pay (and this is more expensive as you pay per film.)

But if you just use the box for watching the main on demand programmes there's nothing to pay.

I use a YouView box all the time as my main source of TV and strangely one of the things I love about it is the simple facility of pausing and rewinding live TV. Having got used to this I wouldn't want to be without it!
Standard User rego
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-May-14 09:30:37
Print Post

The price increase has already been notified and will take effect from 18th May, however if like myself as a partially sighted person who does not use TV and therefore the youview box is useless, you can downgrade your package to the simply broadband package and add a call package to your phone which is still one of the best deals around.
Standard User Sylcol
(member) Sat 10-May-14 12:24:01
Print Post

"I use a YouView box all the time as my main source of TV and strangely one of the things I love about it is the simple facility of pausing and rewinding live TV. Having got used to this I wouldn't want to be without it!"

Sorry to jump in here but the TT forum is full of people who say their box is a load of rubbish and because of that I have not taken the offer of a free box.
Yours is the first good report that I have read, do you have any problem with the box? i.e. slow to load and freezing etc.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to