User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jovin
(member) Mon 11-Aug-14 09:27:51
Print Post

speed

[link to this post]

Hi All
Can anyone tell me if the "Plus Broadband and Phone" package is in anyway speed limited? I believe this is a package thats been around for a while and I cant find any info on it.

Thanks

John
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Aug-14 11:25:38
Print Post

Re: speed

[re: Jovin] [link to this post]

The old Plus was an ADSL2+ based product, now superceded by the Plus TV that is still ADSL2+.

So limited by the capabilities of the technology and how the DLM system operates but that is it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jovin
(member) Mon 11-Aug-14 11:50:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The old Plus was an ADSL2+ based product, now superceded by the Plus TV that is still ADSL2+.

So limited by the capabilities of the technology and how the DLM system operates but that is it.

Thanks for the info, connection here seems a little slow with lag @ 2Mb however Sam knows suggests 5Mb or more should be possible. Of course there are lots of reasons why this may not be possible but still considering giving Talktalk a ring.

John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Aug-14 12:30:41
Print Post

What are the router stats? Those are best and first step to figuring out speed issues.

No point ringing until you have done a little checking yourself.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jovin
(member) Thu 14-Aug-14 12:59:18
Print Post

It's a very old Belkin router model no. F5D7632-4 V1. Latest f/w has been loaded but no stats in the GUI however a lot of info available by Telnet.
Not sure which is relevant, the figures for local or remote.

Localsnrmargin 6.0dB
Locallineattn 44.5dB
Rawattn 44.5dB
LocalTxPower 12.5dB

Remotesnrmargin 6.0dB
Remotelineattn 30dB

Txbitrate 864000
Rxbitrate 2880000

I suspect the main problem is just that it's very old and possibly not even adsl2+.

Thanks for any advice.

John
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Aug-14 13:34:51
Print Post

Connection speed 2880 Kbps
Download Attenuation 44.5dB
Noise margin 6dB

Upload speed 864 Kbps
Upload Attenuation 30dB
Upload Margin 6dB

Gives http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php?param=RG... a below expected speeds answer.

Should be around 4 Meg for ADSL and pushing 6 to 8 Meg on ADSL2+. Might be the router holding you back, or could be wiring, e.g. extensions and presence of a ring wire take a peek at
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.htm...

Standard User Jovin
(member) Thu 14-Aug-14 14:32:19
Print Post

thanks for the info, it's not my setup so don't know about any extensions or ring wire. The router is plugged into the master socket however which is only around a year old having been replaced by BT after a previous problem with the phone line.
I will try a different router at some point in the near future and if that is better then an upgrade to a newer model should prove to be the answer.

John
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Aug-14 09:52:53
Print Post

From what I can find, That router only supports ADSL1 and not ADSL2/2+ So may well be a limiting factor if the line is ADSL2/2+

TalkTalk 80Mb
Current Line Stats
Attainable Rate: DL: 97332 UL: 33693
Connection Speed: DL: 79987 Kbps UL: 19999 Kbps
SNR: DL: 11.1 UL: 15.2
Attenuation: DL: 15.1 UL: 0
Standard User Myth
(committed) Thu 16-Oct-14 12:26:20
Print Post

is 2880 kbps indicative of some kind of fixed rate product?

or am i getting mixed up with 288 upload in some old adsl product?

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Oct-14 13:20:15
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

You confusing it with the old IPStream Home 500,1000, 2000 products that had a 288 Kbps upload.

Print Thread

Jump to