User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dizzydimble
(newbie) Mon 11-Aug-14 23:51:25
Print Post

Put off by speed estimate

[link to this post]

I'm thinking about leaving PlusNet and joining talkTalk on the simply broadband package. When putting my details into system I'm offered a speed estimate of 5.6 meg which is concerning. I currently receive a stable 16meg with PN. I actually live in an annexe of the house and the PN line is effectively a second line. The people that I share with are with talk talk and get 17meg.

I'm just wondering if this is a known issue with the estimator and in theory I should really get around what I receive now.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Aug-14 07:47:31
Print Post

Re: Put off by speed estimate

[re: dizzydimble] [link to this post]

You should get what you have now

IanD
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Aug-14 08:52:03
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

What does bt wholesale say the speed range is?

TalkTalk may be using the low end figure to avoid moans when estimate is not reached

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 12-Aug-14 10:01:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Range according to the BT wholesale checker is 9-13meg, I've always had around 15-16 with PN on a 6db profile and the other line apparently the same on TT with a 9db profile. So I would say it's possibly just an off estimate. My line attenuation etc would suggest the same no reason why it would not be achieved the only difference is obviously that TT is LLU.
Standard User Fenris
(experienced) Wed 13-Aug-14 12:49:51
Print Post

[re: dizzydimble] [link to this post]

You should get around 17Mb, the same as the ones you share with that have a TT line. The speed estimates for adsl2+ on talktalk are conservative I find. But the default profile is higher so speeds could be more like estimated at first. I changed to a 6db one to connect @ 14Mb. That's the best I can hope for unless I pay more for fibre.

Virgin>freeserve>BTBroadband>ndo>plusnet>IDNet>ZeN>NEWNET>entanet[ukfsn]>>>>>TalkTalk LLU

Edited by Fenris (Wed 13-Aug-14 12:51:34)

(newbie) Fri 15-Aug-14 21:44:02
Print Post

[re: Fenris] [link to this post]

Not too worried, I've signed up today, the package is £10 cheaper a month than I was paying with Plusnet for essentially the same services. I know what Talk Talk are like to deal with as I've had to contact them for my parents to sort a problem out. I used the forum and although I had to wait for a reply it did get sorted ok.
  Print Thread

Jump to