User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User barker04
(regular) Sat 18-Oct-14 21:43:04
Print Post

Using a sky supplied router with TalkTalk

[link to this post]

Hi

Does anyone know if its possible to use a Sky supplied SR101 router with talktalk?

Just asking as I am moving to TalkTalk and would prefer to keep the sky router as I believe the wifi coverage will be better than the TalkTalk supplied 523a Huawei essentials broadband router.

Has anyone done this?
Standard User Myth
(committed) Sun 19-Oct-14 12:36:41
Print Post

Re: Using a sky supplied router with TalkTalk

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

i've used a variety of home routers with talktalk adsl2+. Some sync'ed a bit lower, most were the same at about 3.5mbit.

Unless there is specific firmware stopping it happen I would say you'll be fine.

Your other option is to hardwire the sky router to the talktalk router and set it up as a wireless access point in another part of your home. Would need to set different IP address and turn off DHCP, and it should then function as a WAP

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Standard User barker04
(regular) Sun 19-Oct-14 12:38:57
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

I am mostly concerned about wifi range / speeds and its my understanding that the talktalk essentials routers are quite poor in this regards?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Myth
(committed) Sun 19-Oct-14 12:51:01
Print Post

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

I had talktalk from day one with USB modem, so I've never had an essentials router.

With the FTTC I now have the router is a Huawei HG533 which is single band and quite low range.

Luckily I just finished my uni project on WAPs and have some dual-band Ruckus 7363's and Meru 320i's to play with.

The Ruckus have great range due to adaptive antenna arrays, but are expensive (£100+) and the Meru can be densely packed and are cheap for the WAP, (£25) but need a controller £250).

I know that's no real help to you. The cheapest thing to do is use old routers as WAPs. Maybe you can put them in ad-hoc mode so they don't need to be hard-wired together but I've never needed to do that so can't help a lot there.

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 19-Oct-14 13:23:22
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

Router as wireless access point http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/wap/configuring-wap.html

Sticking to supplied device for terminating line makes it harder for support to blame your kit when/if there is an issue too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to