User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tantalus
(learned) Fri 31-Oct-14 11:15:58
Print Post

TalkTalk Prices to go up by £5 a month

[link to this post]

TalkTalk are increasing their prices to £5 a month as from 1 Dec, making my bill £21 a month.

The speed I get is just below 8Mps which is below the London average but is fast enough for what I want.

I have Unlimited usage.

I have been with Tiscali/TalkTalk for many years. The reasons for this is are threefold:
(a) their prices have stayed the same
(b) the connection is fairly reliable
(c) 100Mb webspace is provided

If I moved to a different ISP I would require 100Mb of Webspace.

I wonder what other Talktalk users think of the price increase ?

And if they are unhappy with the price increase which ISP(s) they are considering?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Oct-14 11:29:20
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Prices to go up by £5 a month

[re: Tantalus] [link to this post]

Which TalkTalk package are you on?

Regrading to a lower price may not be possible if you want to keep the 100 MB web allowance, given people like GoDaddy can be had at £2.50 a month (100GB) with much more storage price rise may be TalkTalk actually wanting you to move.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tantalus
(learned) Fri 31-Oct-14 12:23:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for replying.

The package is called "TalkTalk Broadband" with "Unlimited Downloads" ticked. The exact amount I currently pay per month is £15.31.

Edited by Tantalus (Fri 31-Oct-14 12:24:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Oct-14 12:40:18
Print Post

Okay sounds like one of the really old packages.

Current entry level unlimited ADSL2+ is £3.50 plus £15.95 voice line rental
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/talktalk/package/1...

If your price is inclusive of line rental then it is pretty much impossible to beat as for a good many providers the voice line rental alone is higher than what you pay. Using line rental saver and jumping providers every 12 to 18 months will get the price down due to jumping between offers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tantalus
(learned) Sat 01-Nov-14 06:15:37
Print Post

Thanks once again for your reply.

It is exclusive of line rental which I have with BT; the £15.31 (£20.31 after price rise) is ONLY for internet access.

I consider this very expensive.

Indeed, I had thought of switching to BT for internet access, but I believe they do not provide Web Space.

I only require a small amount of webspace of 50MB.

My domain is currently registered with 1 and 1, and they provide webspace for around £5 a month, which is one way forward. (I have had a look at GoDaddy) but this got a large number of negative comments:

http://www.hosting-review.com/uk-b.php?aff_sub=H-R-U...

HostPapa came out top and was cheapest at £1.95 per month.

Once I get the webspace problem sorted out I shall be free to move from TalkTalk.
Best wishes
Paul

Edited by Tantalus (Sat 01-Nov-14 06:18:54)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Nov-14 11:13:48
Print Post

Ok well talktalk are not going to do much unless you move the phone to them. Similar with most other providers.

At the low end of web host provision support is minimal due to price paid.

The rise of tumblr and wordpress blogging means most micro publishing can be done using them for free

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Nov-14 09:22:51
Print Post

My Sister/brother-in-law is still on the old Tiscali package, broadband with Talk Talk and line rental with BT. He did have line rental with Sky, but have canceled their sky TV, so went for BT line rental instead of Talk Talk.

i think he would have been better to go with Talk talk as he is looking at getting FTTC, but now he will have to go with either one of the providers that do fibre without line rental, like plusnet or go with Bt for everything.

I think he made a mistake by not changing their line rental to Talk talk and I am someone who do nto really like Talk Talk.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User Tantalus
(learned) Sat 22-Nov-14 18:30:41
Print Post

I have found a free web hosting package which I can use for my small website. It is called AwardSpace and comes highly recommended. Details can be found at: http://www.awardspace.com/

It provides a free domain (dx.am) and it is faster than TalkTalk. In the free version there are limitations on the file size.

FTP is relatively easy to use. You must remember to tick the passive FTP box and untick the directory protected box (otherwise you get permission denied).

This means I can switch ISPs without having to worry about Webspace.

Hope this information is useful to other people.

Since my line rental is with BT I thought I might switch to BT, this will also give me access to BT Sport.
Standard User Tantalus
(learned) Sun 23-Nov-14 07:40:21
Print Post

Update to my previous post....

My wife also has a small website. She has two movie files (.wmv). Unfortunately the free version of awardspace does not support this type of file or any of the following:

vi. The following file types are restricted from uploading on AWARDSPACE.COM free web hosting - .htacl, .htaclu, .avi, .mov, .mp2, .mp3, .mpeg, .ram, .asf, .quota, .vbs, .shs, .scr, .exe, .cmd, .torrent, .wmv, .wma, .rm, .zip, .rar, .gz, .tgz

The following is also in the T & C:

c. DISK SPACE. Each and every AWARDSPACE.COM Customer agrees not to allocate more than 10% of its hosting account space to image and multimedia (.gif, .png, .mpg, .jpg, .3gp) files.
Each and every AWARDSPACE.COM Customer agrees not to allocate more than 10% of its hosting account space to archive (.tar, .gzip, .iso, .nrg, .cue, .ccd, .img, .sub, .cue) files.
Each and every AWARDSPACE.COM Customer agrees not to allocate more than 10% of its hosting account space to DB dump backup (.sql, .pgsql, .mssql, .mysql) files.
Each and every AWARDSPACE.COM Customer agrees not to allocate more than 10% of its hosting account space to .pdf, .psd, .ppt files.
Each and every AWARDSPACE.COM Customer agrees not to allocate more than 10% of its hosting account space to any identical file type
Standard User Tantalus
(learned) Fri 19-Dec-14 08:53:32
Print Post

Finally sorted out my wife's web site. Had to pay for the basic package which costs £1 for the first year and then escalates for subsequent years.

So having resolved the problem of webspace I am now free to migrate to another ISP.

I had thought of BT as it provides BT sport. I don't really need the fast speeds offered (when I think back to dial up speeds...), so I could go for the standard package.

However, as far as BT sport goes I either have to stream it from one of the computers to the TV or buy one of the more expensive options. It is nice just to be able to click a button and get what you want.

I'll wait until the new year and see what offers BT put on the market.

Hope this helps other people who have similar problems with webspace

Best wishes
Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to