User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OkeeOkee
(newbie) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:11:32
Print Post

Connection jitter/stutter issue while gaming.

[link to this post]

Gaming is unbearable especially for competitive tournaments. There is noticeable jitter/stutter in games (on PCs or console). Lack of hit registration and even "warping" are present, whereby the server shifts the players position erratically at times. This happens when connecting to ANY server in fps games, on different devices which are always connected through wire (Ethernet), not Wireless. RTS games have weird delays. Very noticeable.

A BQM test was performed and it shows inconsistency in latency. Graph below is for this connection.
This TalkTalk fibre BQM

And graph below is a fibre connection from a Plusnet user. For example as a stable connection.
A random stable fibre Plusnet user

Ping tests were performed while the connection was unused.
All devices were unplugged and WiFi was disabled. Similar results on 2 routers (TalkTalk HG533 Router + Trendnet TEW818DR) So this is not a router or hardware issue on this end. Filter and wiring are all in good condition. BT Engineer stated line was top notch in terms of quality during install and green cabinet is very close.

Tracerouting to these servers doesn't reveal any lagy nodes or unusual pings en route. This clearly seems as a service/connection issue.

If anybody can assist with this issue and answer some questions.
1) Is this something TalkTalk will be able to fix, is it in their power? Or it's most likely Openreach? Is this a sign of cabinet congestion or overhaul?
2) Will changing provider to Zen for example help remove this issue?

Any assistance is gladly appreciated.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:18:02
Print Post

Re: Connection jitter/stutter issue while gaming.

[re: OkeeOkee] [link to this post]

Are you planning to cross-post this anywhere else?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User OkeeOkee
(newbie) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:24:15
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

No just these 2 relevant threads where there might likely be someone with some assistance. Are you going to assist ? smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Jan-15 14:37:37
Print Post

[re: OkeeOkee] [link to this post]

Funny you should mention this, my TalkTalk fibre BQM graph is very similar -

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-large/8978b...

User baby_frogmella, who is on TalkTalk Business, does not suffer from this issue - his graph looks normal.

In fact I brought up this issue, showing comparative BQM graphs on the TalkTalk community forums, after asking them whether it was down to congestion about three times they eventually replied -

For fibre we dont have access to that kind of information, its held by Open Reach and not accessible to us.

I had assumed TalkTalk used their own network for fibre, from the exchange, and would know how much capacity was being used?

They also seemed to ignore the graphs and asked me to do a ping and traceroute to Google, which are not going to show anything useful unless there is a significant problem. The basic impression I got from TalkTalk OCEs is that they are only interested in dealing with significant connection faults rather than poor quality connections.

I'm glad somebody else has noticed this, perhaps we can work together to find a resolution. smile

EDIT: If you're not used to the TalkTalk Community forums it takes about three days from the last thread post timestamp to get an OCE reply. Every time you get a reply to your thread it moves to the back of the queue of the OCE's to-do list.

Edited by Spud2003 (Sun 04-Jan-15 14:45:05)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-Jan-15 16:04:13
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Talktalk use their llu network for backhaul but have no control over the mile or so of openreach fibre

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Jan-15 17:29:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well that's what I thought but their staff are telling me they can't comment on congestion because it's all under the control of Openreach. Unfortunately if you want to discuss exactly what a OCE means it'll will take them 3 days to reply and they will often not reply fully meaning another 3 days ... and so on and so forth until you die of old age. tongue
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sun 04-Jan-15 17:53:22
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
User baby_frogmella, who is on TalkTalk Business, does not suffer from this issue - his graph looks normal.

You may have spoken too soon frown My TTB fibre connection has started to look very dodgy over the last few evenings:

My Broadband Ping
My Broadband Ping
My Broadband Ping

However this may due to a new floor lamp & plug-in dimmer which i started using at the same time and may be creating a lot of noise. Also my fibre ECI modem hasn't been rebooted in 3-4 months, so i did a reboot of that this morning to get on a different TT gateway. When i spoke to TTB last night, they said they weren't aware of any congestion issues at my exchange (Inverness Culloden/Macdhui) but if the slow speeds persist (drop to ~40meg in evenings instead of 75 meg) i should email their network team. I suggest you do as well and they should advise you of the exchange status w.r.t. congestion:

techconnect@talktalkbusiness.co.uk

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps