User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bcatly
(newbie) Mon 09-Feb-15 17:25:09
Print Post

Talktalk plus package question

[link to this post]

Hello, I would just like to ask if it is usual standard for someone who is paying for the talktalk plus package to only be receiving 2-3mbps (bits) as from what I understand, the normal average is at least 8-10mbps minimum. We are currently paying around £40per month for the talktalk package. Thanks in advance for all your input!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Feb-15 09:49:04
Print Post

Re: Talktalk plus package question

[re: bcatly] [link to this post]

The speed you receive will not vary i.e. SimplyBroadband, Essentials TV and Plus TV all connect using the same technology so will receive the same connection speeds.

The key to the mystery is what are the router stats e.g. http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/stats/routers.html#hg532 you would expect the downstream attenuation to be 60dB or higher if only getting 2 to 3 Mbps.

PlusTV with fibre is £28.50 + £16.70 voice line rental, so curious to know exactly what price plan you are on, it may you are on an old legacy version and might want to reconsider moving to the newer versions.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bcatly
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 22:59:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Okay, thank you very much for the help! I forgot to mention that we are currently using ADSL as fibre is not supported within our area. Here is some of the stats from our router, if it is able to help.

System uptime:
0d:13h:59m:19s
Modem ADSL (Sync) uptime:
0d:13h:57m:52s
Interleaving:
On
ADSL mode:
G.DMT
ADSL setting:
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
ADSL line speed (kbps):
Up: 960
Down: 2784
Line attenuation (dB):
Up: 25.5
Down: 40.0
SN margin (dB):
Up: 7.0
Down: 11.0
Total errors seconds:

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Feb-15 23:07:51
Print Post

[re: bcatly] [link to this post]

Line is running slow, the 11db downstream noise margin is costing you speed.

Maybe some instability made talktalk dlm slow you down

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Feb-15 04:33:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

To me those stats could suggest a potential line fault, it would explain why their DLM has clobbered your connection a 12db snr is overkill i would be in contact with TT support, maybe going via their community forum is a better but not necessarily quicker way of doing this, but it may be less stressfull
You should be able to get 8mbps sync speed or near to that , at the moment your not even getting 3mbps
  Print Thread

Jump to