User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ncudmore
(newbie) Fri 03-Apr-15 23:58:49
Print Post

FTTC upgrade and hub/routers

[link to this post]

Yesterday saw the changeover from ADSL to VDSL/FTTC.

Now the BT guys turned up, did the required work in the cab round the corner then came and fitted the EchoLife HG612 VDSL router which was preconfigured in bridge mode.

Line was tested and off they went.

Now sitting on the side I had this brand new HG635 modem router which is also a VDSL modem, and arrived from TalkTalk a couple of days ago.

So, I'm wondering why do I want the HG635 and the HG612? In theory the only difference if the HG635 has WiFi, so fair dinkum, the BT Openreach guys didn't provide a device with the WiFi access point and TalkTalk assumed I wanted this, and sent out the HG635 and charged me for it.

Now, as it happens I've plugged the BT supplied HG612 into my firewall, and everything now works, I didn't need to make any changes on the firewall, or inside my network.

So, the question really is, if the HG635 has the VDSL modem built in why do I need both, as per the leaflet in side the box, showing connection via the Openreach modem? Simply put, why not just use the HG635 in place of the HG612 if I want WiFi?

Should I not of been given the option of not having the HG635, if I want to use existing WiFi APs, or don't want WiFi?
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Apr-15 01:30:13
Print Post

Re: FTTC upgrade and hub/routers

[re: ncudmore] [link to this post]

Up until recently, the only option for FTTC was engineer install with an Openreach supplied modem (either HG612 or the ECI modem). In fact, the HG612 is a router and the ECI modem may well be a router, too, but Openreach supply these devices with a locked-down bridge configuration.

In effect, Openreach provided an Ethernet port and it was up to the end user or their ISP to provide router / firewall / wireless access point functionality using Ethernet connected equipment.

More recently, Openreach has offered engineer install with ISP supplied VDSL2 equipment, or self install (where the engineer carries out the work at the cabinet but leaves the installation at the end user premises to the customer).

For whatever reason, your Openreach engineer thought he was supposed to supply an Openreach modem as part of your installation. I suspect this was an error and that the intention was he used the TalkTalk supplied HG635, though it doesn't matter. You've finished up with an HG612 that isn't necessary if you choose to use the HG635.

So far as the leaflet goes, this seemingly reflects the historic position where use of an Openreach supplied modem was mandatory, at least in theory. This is now out of date, as ISPs are allowed to supply their own VDSL2 equipment.

If you are happy with the configuration you now have, you can put the HG635 in a drawer or return it to TalkTalk. I'd be inclined to keep it, as it's often a good idea to have the standard equipment used by your ISP to hand for troubleshooting purposes if you don't normally use it.

If you wish, you can disconnect the HG612 and replace it with the HG635. Best practice is to turn off the power to the old VDSL2 device before disconnecting it from the line, then wait at least half an hour before powering up the new device. This helps prevent unnecessary intervention by Openreach's DLM.

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Apr-15 15:48:20
Print Post

[re: ncudmore] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ncudmore:
So, the question really is, if the HG635 has the VDSL modem built in why do I need both, as per the leaflet in side the box, showing connection via the Openreach modem? Simply put, why not just use the HG635 in place of the HG612 if I want WiFi?

If you have a problem with your line TalkTalk residential support will basically refuse to deal with you unless you are using TalkTalk equipment - at least that's my recent experience. Support are total script monkeys.

Edited by Spud2003 (Sun 05-Apr-15 15:49:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ncudmore
(newbie) Sun 19-Apr-15 23:24:50
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, on the subject of the 'locked down' BT device, I'm wondering is this causing the speed issue.

As far as I know TalkTalk Business is a 80/20 service, but my upload is half that.

10 days in and running some speed tests I get:-

site....................................Latency (ms)...........Down (Mbps)..........Up (Mbps)
BT wholesale.....................17...........................74.61......................7.77
speedtest.net......................7...........................62.22......................10.75
thinkbroadband.com...........18...........................74.1.........................5.8

Given the good download speeds I'd expect to be must nearer the 20Mbps upload speed than I'm getting now.
  Print Thread

Jump to