User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bernado
(regular) Sun 05-Apr-15 19:27:57
Print Post

Business Fibre, anyone got it?

[link to this post]

I've currently got a nice stable Xilo TTB ADSL2 connection but there are times when it struggles with a growing family's web based activity. Can anyone tell me their experience of TTB's fibre service?
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Tue 07-Apr-15 00:38:07
Print Post

Re: Business Fibre, anyone got it?

[re: bernado] [link to this post]

Good so far

had problem getting my static ip working

phoned support and it was quickly resolved.

Talktalk Business - 80/20

TTB speedtest
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Apr-15 05:56:51
Print Post

Yes, i moved to TTB fibre from their residential offering and its excellent. Its almost on a par with AAISP but without the eye watering prices. For £48 pm i get:

1) A truly unlimited 80/20 FTTC connection with line speeds at all times

2) 4 static IP addresses

3) Top class UK based phone support 8am-8pm 7 days a week

4) Unlimited calls to 01/02/0845/0870 & mobiles from my landline

5) Unlimited calls to 01/02/0845/0870 & mobiles from my mobile using the TTB app

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps
Powered by Asus RT-AC87R

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bernado
(regular) Tue 07-Apr-15 08:31:38
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
Good so far

had problem getting my static ip working

phoned support and it was quickly resolved.

Excellent, good to hear
Standard User bernado
(regular) Tue 07-Apr-15 08:49:05
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Yes, i moved to TTB fibre from their residential offering and its excellent. Its almost on a par with AAISP but without the eye watering prices. For £48 pm i get:

1) A truly unlimited 80/20 FTTC connection with line speeds at all times

2) 4 static IP addresses

3) Top class UK based phone support 8am-8pm 7 days a week

4) Unlimited calls to 01/02/0845/0870 & mobiles from my landline

5) Unlimited calls to 01/02/0845/0870 & mobiles from my mobile using the TTB app

The package I'm looking at is the same but without free calls (which is fine as more than enough credit on my mobile contract) and one static IP for £33.50. So with a small saving on my current line rental with BT, this works out the same as my existing TTB LLU ADSL2 connection (with Xilo).

It does sound like a bit of a no brainer as they say though I would be contracted to Talk Talk for two years rather than my free agent status now, which is a bit of a worry. Moving my line rental over to Talk Talk is a bit of a concern should I wish to change the arrangement end of contract, though I don't know why other than paranoia.

What is the actual instalation procedure, is a self instal option offered?
A bit of a daft question perhaps but it would be residential use, is there a requirement in the sign up procedure to provide business credintials?

Thanks

Edited by bernado (Tue 07-Apr-15 08:51:55)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Apr-15 09:41:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by bernado:
The package I'm looking at is the same but without free calls (which is fine as more than enough credit on my mobile contract) and one static IP for £33.50. So with a small saving on my current line rental with BT, this works out the same as my existing TTB LLU ADSL2 connection (with Xilo).

It does sound like a bit of a no brainer as they say though I would be contracted to Talk Talk for two years rather than my free agent status now, which is a bit of a worry. Moving my line rental over to Talk Talk is a bit of a concern should I wish to change the arrangement end of contract, though I don't know why other than paranoia.

What is the actual instalation procedure, is a self instal option offered?
A bit of a daft question perhaps but it would be residential use, is there a requirement in the sign up procedure to provide business credintials?

Thanks

Yes, i know its not ideal being tied into a 2 year contract but TTB allow you 2 free house moves in that period so not a big deal unless you lead a gypsy lifestyle or move abroad.TT LLU covers 96% of the population.

When i had my 80/20 FTTC service installed ~ 12 months ago, an engineer visit was required but not sure if this is still the case - give them a call to find out. Personally i still prefer an engineer visit as he can move the master socket req'd (if necessary) and above all, whilst he is still there you can run speed tests to make sure you are getting the right speeds based on your line length, ie any line issues can be attempted to be resolved there & then.

Sent you a PM as well smile

TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps
Powered by Asus RT-AC87R

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 07-Apr-15 09:42:16)

Standard User bernado
(regular) Tue 07-Apr-15 09:46:01
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, most helpful. I'll look out for your PM.
Re use - thinking about it I do work remotely from home via a virtual network during the week, so I would consider that a business requirement anyway

Edited by bernado (Tue 07-Apr-15 09:54:31)

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Tue 07-Apr-15 10:55:22
Print Post

I've currently got a nice stable Xilo TTB ADSL2 connection but there are times when it struggles with a growing family's web based activity. Can anyone tell me their experience of TTB's fibre service?

I have a number of teleworkers on TTB fibre project. The positives of the service has been eluded to for the £48 service which I would recommended but not as my first choice. Having mobile numbers as part of the calling package is particularly useful if your home has a poor mobile signal. Extensive usage of this facility can save a small fortune. Another positive is that TTB CS speak the kind of English I can understand.

The negatives, wholly from my own experiences, are:
1) If the FTTC engineer installation is not "to the book" then it can take days, if not forever, to get it resolved. This especially applies to 'Kelly' install errors.
2) When you have no broadband service contact with CS is only through a 0800 number. It costs a fortune to call them from a mobile although I believe that mobile calls to 0800 numbers will be free at some point in the future.
3) A very abrasive verification process of who the caller is, with no alternative credentials accepted against the questions being asked. It is imperative that other callers speaking on behalf of the account holder are registered with TTB immediately the account/service is established.
4) CS ranges for being appalling to absolutely brilliant. Sometimes the 'script kiddy' always needs to seek advice on every question/issue raised but trying to escalate your problems to a more informed person is impossible.
5) CSs assumption is that the caller has no technical ability to identify a problem and won't help if you don't do initial procedures which could adversely upset your installation requirements.
6) The customer portal section of the TTB web site is not very comprehensive for ALL the information that would be useful.
7) You may need the TTB supplied router to be available to resolve an issue even if it's not related to the router itself.
8) You are lead to believe that only Direct Debit payments are acceptable. Alternative payment methods are however available.
8) Minimum contract periods in excess of 12 months are unpalatable. However this is tempered with "free house moves".

Of course you may never need to contact CS and your service proves to be absolutely perfect so none of the above would apply to you! Would you get a better CS experience from another ISP. Yes if you are prepared to pay a much higher monthly subscription than £48.
Standard User bernado
(regular) Tue 07-Apr-15 12:30:24
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
8) Minimum contract periods in excess of 12 months are unpalatable.....

Yes this is of course the worry when I would be leaving a perfectly decent connection for no other reason than my needs have begun to outgrow it. From that less than glowing account based on your experience it could be a regreattable move, though others clearly have had a more positive time of things.
More food for thought at least so thank you for your input
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Tue 07-Apr-15 13:39:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
8) Minimum contract periods in excess of 12 months are unpalatable.....

Yes this is of course the worry when I would be leaving a perfectly decent connection for no other reason than my needs have begun to outgrow it. From that less than glowing account based on your experience it could be a regreattable move, though others clearly have had a more positive time of things.
More food for thought at least so thank you for your input

Don't get me wrong; I have quite a few teleworkers using TTB connecting to the office and I can remotely connect to them successfully as well. Currently all connections using TTB are working to the high standard I need and expect, it is just that if an initial installation has a poor element to it, I found it an uphill struggle to get it resolved/fixed quickly, if at all. Likewise if the service drops, then the automatic assumption by TTB is that the fault is at the customer site and to be told in one instance to reset the teleworker's router to factory defaults would involve a considerable amount of effort to restore the router's customisation.

One very confusing issue with TTB is that there is only one tariff for FTTC which is 80/20. You can't save a few bucks by opting for a 40/10 service, as you can with other ISPs. But like I said, I find the £48 tariff to be very competitive for what you get. Don't let my comments get in the way of choosing TTB, I only wanted to make you aware of what my experiences have been.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to