User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sceptic
(experienced) Sat 18-Apr-15 18:28:26
Print Post

pppoa authentication.

[link to this post]

On switching to Talktalk recently I waited for my internet connection to drop on switch-over day so I could input the new details into my router, I was still waiting after midnight.
On checking the next day it was apparent that I had been switched over and my router was connected to the Internet via the talktalk network using my sky credentials.
I contacted support via the talktalk forum and they seem to be totally unconcerned pointing me to a how to connect a non talktalk router help article.
Are any other talktalk users able to connect with incorrect username /passwords ?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Apr-15 18:31:19
Print Post

Re: pppoa authentication.

[re: Sceptic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sceptic:
Are any other talktalk users able to connect with incorrect username /passwords ?

Yes, it's been like that for some time. PPPoA credentials are ignored, they can control user access by controlling the port at the exchange.

Oliver.
Standard User Mike_Williams
(committed) Mon 20-Apr-15 14:18:23
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
In reply to a post by Sceptic:

Yes, it's been like that for some time. PPPoA credentials are ignored, they can control user access by controlling the port at the exchange.
Interesting...
This implies that you should be able to use potentially better, but locked down routers from other ISPs

Regards
Mike Williams

Info :-
Line: Length 250 metres
Modem router: Buffalo wbmr-hp-g300h + LinkSys wg54g both running dd-wrt firmware
IP Profile = Down 19418 kbps Up 1019 kbps

2012: EE WBC 20Mbps Down: 22010 kbps Up: 1019 kbps
2003: Demon ADSLMax 8Mbps Down: 8128 kbps Up: 448 kbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Apr-15 15:30:43
Print Post

[re: Mike_Williams] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mike_Williams:
Interesting...
This implies that you should be able to use potentially better, but locked down routers from other ISPs

Yes, I have used an SR101 with locked PPPoA details on TalkTalk, it works fine. If TalkTalk TV is ordered along with the broadband though it probably won't work, since it requires a second virtual circuit to be configured.

Oliver.
  Print Thread

Jump to