User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User IceFreak2000
(newbie) Sat 10-Oct-15 15:34:30
Print Post

TalkTalk Business Packet Loss

[link to this post]

I have been a customer of TalkTalk Business for several years, having originally set up my account with Nildram before purchases and takeovers turned me into a TalkTalk Business customer. Up until the end of July I had enthused about the support and service I've had with TTB, but no longer.

I raised a support ticket with TTB on the 29th July 2015 (TCK6120070) and at the time of writing (10th October 2015) this ticket is still open and unresolved. In fact, the issues I've been experiencing have got steadily worse as time has gone on.

On top of that, calls are not returned when promised, support staff are rude or completely disinterested in the issue at hand.

My case sounds fairly similar to this review: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/talktalkbusiness.co... - my broadband connection is fine during the day, but in the evening starting at around 18:00 and continuing right up until around 23:00 the connection becomes almost unusable. Packet loss reaches 100% most evenings at around 21:00 which in effect means that there is no data connection at all.

The graph here - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/f210c05a4f6... - shows the issue clearly (measurements from Friday 9th October)
Standard User richi
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 09:34:13
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Business Packet Loss

[re: IceFreak2000] [link to this post]

I've been with a TTB reseller since August. I continue to monitor my line closely, but I've experienced nothing like this.

Worrying that first-line support should dismiss your issue on any class of service, let alone "business". If you're not in contract, you might consider migrating to a TTB reseller that does do support well, and knows how to navigate the sometimes-antediluvian support channels of TTB and BT Openreach.

I have nothing but good things to say about Pulse8 (just a happy customer!)
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Oct-15 13:07:03
Print Post

[re: richi] [link to this post]

If it starts and ends at the same time every day it points to traffic management where pings are given low priority do get dropped

But i didnt think TTB do traffic management

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User richi
(newbie) Mon 12-Oct-15 09:10:34
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

The way I read the OP, the complaint is about an unusable connection (i.e., the ICMP packet loss is given as a symptom).

Giving ICMP a lower priority is common behaviour -- it doesn't necessarily demonstrate traffic management. So if there's a pattern of severe ICMP packet loss at peak times, it implies congestion. And... my, the PO's graph looks severe.

If it were my connection, I'd be asking TTB to check that it's been provisioned with the correct "Business" priority (i.e., so that peak-time domestic traffic doesn't get in the way).
Standard User IceFreak2000
(newbie) Mon 12-Oct-15 09:49:57
Print Post

[re: richi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by richi:
The way I read the OP, the complaint is about an unusable connection (i.e., the ICMP packet loss is given as a symptom).

Yep, that's exactly it.

In reply to a post by richi:
Giving ICMP a lower priority is common behaviour -- it doesn't necessarily demonstrate traffic management. So if there's a pattern of severe ICMP packet loss at peak times, it implies congestion. And... my, the PO's graph looks severe.

If it were my connection, I'd be asking TTB to check that it's been provisioned with the correct "Business" priority (i.e., so that peak-time domestic traffic doesn't get in the way).

My major issue with this saga (currently day 74 and counting) is the complete lack of interest from TTB in resolving the problem. I've had their Network Operations team swear blind that my router was at fault (which it wasn't) and on more than one occasion I've had support staff express their total incredulity that I would expect a working connection in the evening. Only now are they (apparently) getting the contention issue addressed.

Then again, the issue was supposed to be resolved last week.

I won't hold my breath.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Oct-15 10:56:43
Print Post

[re: IceFreak2000] [link to this post]

The fact that your TBB pings show yellow spikes continuously 24/7 suggests line or equipment fault. I take it you've tried another router? and also tried plugging your router into the test socket to rule out any issues with extension wiring? I'm surprised TTB phone support haven't helped you get to the bottom of this, believe it or not many of their support staff are ex-Zen. I suggest you email their 2nd tier network team at:

techconnect@talktalkbusiness.co.uk

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79999/20000 kbps