User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User billd
(newbie) Sun 03-Jan-16 08:23:58
Print Post

Worst ISP ever

[link to this post]

Hi folks, Long time no post>

On black Friday last year I took up a special offer from TTalk for their simply broadband package. Having had nearly 4 years on BT and Sky with a constant speed of 5-5.5mbps I didn't fall for their estimation off 15.9 max, 11.3 ave, and 6.9 min sync speeds. Been around to long for that, but at the price settled myself I would only get the 5mb I've had for so long.
My go live date was confirmed as the 15th December but was the put back to the 18th (thus giving 2 days of the 20 days from order to cancel).
Now 15 days of the new broadband and I,ve ended up paying for the worst service I,ve ever had. No email working since day 1, constant broadband outages in the early days (solved by bumping SNR up to 12 and reducing the speed to 3mb or less). 4 days to be able to access my account and get calling features to work.(call centre couldn't manage it)
Live chat system appears to hold nobody responsible for things not being done and on the phone you get promises of things being looked at within 24-48hrs (even get text confirmation) but it never happens.
My advice is to stay the hell away from them. I'm for citizens advice tomorrow (4th jan)
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 03-Jan-16 08:27:24
Print Post

Re: Worst ISP ever

[re: billd] [link to this post]

You appear to think it's an ISP problem, but it sounds like a line fault or poor extension wiring.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Jan-16 11:03:50
Print Post

Haven't you posted this on another forum on TBB?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Jan-16 12:01:36
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

probably then noticed theres sections for individual ISP's...

I know I did that when I was a newbie!
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jan-16 18:34:29
Print Post

Shame that this has happened.

When you ordered you get 7 working days to decide if this service meets your needs or not. The key to this is working days, so from the 18th Dec 2015 (day 0) I make that to the 31st Dec 2015. You could have registered an intent to cancel under the distance selling regulations and then worked out the "issues" under this cancellation period and moved or not.

But that boat has passed.

It is frustrating (you know it is) that this has happened. You have a few choices. a) cut your losses and move away back to what you know has worked in the past with the hassle of working with TT to close your account & agree a closure amount. The assumption is you will regain the level of service you previously had, but sometimes its lower.... b) use the advice from the other posts and look at your internal wiring. I did that and went from 2.5 ish to around 5.5 ish. I think you should look at that anyway. Most of the effort was removing the ring wire and fixing any messy extensions etc.. if you have them.

IanD
Standard User microtan
(newbie) Thu 07-Jan-16 21:39:43
Print Post

Your S/N ratio should be around 6 and having to double it to 12 for a stable connection sounds to me like you have a bad line connection or interference from other electrical equipment e.g. satellite box or cordless phone placed too close to your modem/router.

The other possibility is a bad microfilter that separates the telephone and broadband. Newer master sockets have an inbuilt filter and there are 2 sockets, one for the telephone and the other for the broadband so microfilters are becoming obsolete.

You need to identify which type of faceplate is installed and BT has a guide here to help connect your TalkTalk modem. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40812...

As you will have disconnected your modem you need to allow time for the DSLAM line training to kick in. This can take a few hours/ days so do an initial speed test and then see if things improve over the next few days but do keep the cable in the test socket and the modem powered up otherwise the line training will fail. You should never power off your modem at night for this reason.

If there is an improvement using the test socket connection then your faceplate needs replacing and these can be bought on-line but make sure you upgrade to the latest BT faceplate and not a cheap clone! Browser search “Genuine BT Openreach MK3 VDSL/ADSL Faceplate/Filter NTE5a Master Socket Back box” with the quotes and see what is available.

If there is no improvement then the fault is outside of the house and you will need to book an engineer visit. There should be no charge for this as anything beyond the master socket to the exchange is TalkTalk’s responsibility. They will probably send a BT Openreach engineer to repair the line.

Last week my telephone line went dead and I called TalkTalk on 02034415550 and after pressing numbers for all the options I eventually got through to a help desk. The following morning an Openreach engineer arrived and repaired the external line fault. Worst IP ever? I think maybe not.

I am 100% recycled material of which 90% are microbes. I am therefore never alone.

Edited by microtan (Thu 07-Jan-16 22:44:40)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jan-16 22:29:05
Print Post

[re: microtan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by microtan:
Last week my telephone line went dead and I called TalkTalk on 0748030xxxx

That's not TalkTalk's telephone number.

Edit: number obscured.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Thu 07-Jan-16 23:44:22)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 07-Jan-16 22:41:02
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Last week my telephone line went dead and I called TalkTalk on 07480xxxxxx

That's not TalkTalk's telephone number.
07480 Numbers
Mobile phone numbers

07480 numbers are for mobile phones in the United Kingdom.

All UK 07 numbers are for mobiles, pagers and personal numbering.
Which network is 07480?

07480 numbers are allocated to Three.
Suspicious frown

Edited by BatBoy (Thu 07-Jan-16 23:02:37)

Standard User microtan
(newbie) Thu 07-Jan-16 22:54:51
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I put my own number by mistake so thanks BatBoy for your message. I never dial it so did not recognise it. have corrected my original post and apologise for my error!

I am 100% recycled material of which 90% are microbes. I am therefore never alone.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 07-Jan-16 23:03:44
Print Post

[re: microtan] [link to this post]

I put my own number by mistake so thanks BatBoy for your message. I never dial it so did not recognise it. have corrected my original post and apologise for my error!
You didn't recognise your own number? Yeah right.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to