User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stevenfrenchy
(member) Fri 24-Jun-16 16:55:24
Print Post

how does that work? HELP please

[link to this post]

hi
i was on regular broadband but now getting an upgrade on fibre optic , the guy said he'll send me a router then i'll just plug it in and i am good to go , does fibre work the same way as regular broadband ? don't i need some optic cable like virgin media does ???
does that mean fibre talktalk will run through cooper wire ??
any explanation will be much appreciated

also another question related to my current broadband
i get 12 Mbps connection ,do i really need to turn on 5ghz on the router for that kind of speed ? N 2.4 ghz is enough for that right ?

Edited by stevenfrenchy (Fri 24-Jun-16 20:04:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Jun-16 00:09:03
Print Post

Re: how does that work? HELP please

[re: stevenfrenchy] [link to this post]

Virgin Media is still coax for most of its million of customers, pure fibre (i.e. a piece of glass into the home has only just started to be used by them).

For TalKTalk their fibre service is fibre to the cabinet (unless in one corner of York where they have a pure fibre option)

So in short most likely moving from ADSL2+ to VDSL2 so the amount of copper involved becomes less and VDSL2 can run faster over shorter runs of copper, and the TalkTalk site should have given you a personal estimate when ordering upgrade.

802.11n is enough to handle 12 Mbps and if things are working well even more, but 2.4 GHz band can be congested so running both 2.4 and 5GHz is generally best these days.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User stevenfrenchy
(member) Sat 25-Jun-16 00:11:17
Print Post

Re: how does that work? HELP please

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks for that

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to