User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-16 12:43:12
Print Post

Speed increase.

[link to this post]

I have just signed up for Talk Talk fast broadband with a 18 month contract, the guy on the phone said the maximum is 17Mbps and i was getting a steady 10 to 11 Mbps, since signing up my speeds have jumped to 14Mbps, is this a coincidence?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5697742526.png

Standard User 23Prince
(member) Sat 08-Oct-16 13:15:53
Print Post

Re: Speed increase.

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

Were you on an ADSL 2+ based service before? It's sometimes normal to get a bit faster on TalkTalk's network which will probably be LLU.Years ago when I was with BeThere I could only get 8 on BT but I got 12mbps on their LLU network
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-16 14:31:13
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Thanks, I am on the same package (as far as i know) that i was before (see below) i haven't a clue if it is/was ADSL 2+ all i know is the speed seems to have jumped since signing up for the extra 12 months.

See here - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/talktalk/t/4506813-...

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sat 08-Oct-16 14:32:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Oct-16 15:34:28
Print Post

Need to see the ADSL2+ line stats, connection speed attenuation and noise margin.

It may be TalkTalk has adopted a 6dB default noise margin compared to the 9dB or sometimes 12dB that people saw previously. The lower noise margin allows for a little more download speed, with the slightly increased risk of resyncs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-16 19:47:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrS, i am happy with the increase so wont bore you all with the stats (even if i could find them) i will keep an eye on it and see if it drops back in the future.

Standard User 23Prince
(member) Sat 08-Oct-16 21:02:52
Print Post

If you are on LLU that also a bonus as TT can control the line with near instant results for the above (unless there are plenty of commands being sent, which in 2016 would be unlikely as more people are on FTTC.

Edited by 23Prince (Sat 08-Oct-16 21:03:08)

(newbie) Sun 09-Oct-16 11:08:06
Print Post

Thanks 23Prince, i was thinking of going for fibre but i have been told page loading times would not change significantly so i may just stay put and save the connection fee, i imagine eventually they will put all customers on fibre free of charge as they have nothing else to tempt customers away from other suppliers.

(newbie) Sun 09-Oct-16 11:21:25
Print Post

TBB Speed Test Result showing faster speed than the Ookla version.

Exchange info - https://s22.postimg.org/d8al0f5w1/ssssssssssssss.jpg

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sun 09-Oct-16 11:24:16)

Standard User 23Prince
(member) Sun 09-Oct-16 13:03:18
Print Post

No probs fella smile

Yes you are more than likely on Talk Talk LLU which, in my experience anyway has always given me more speed than ADSL Wholesale connections (LLU in general, not Talk Talk's)

I am on Talk Talk Business fibre and apart from the connection fee (£50 for a migration or a new line) I use more in a month with phone calls and Data usage than the £31.95 commands from me.

So it's a win win.

There are many people who will connect you for free now and offer a price the same as if not better than LLU.

But if you don't need the faster speed why worry? There are some places like Sky who will also use LLU and will do the broadband for free (as long as you pay line rental) , so the way I see it - as an ADSL customer on LLU or otherwise you are in a good position to get repeated good/free deals.

Edited by 23Prince (Sun 09-Oct-16 13:03:47)

(newbie) Sun 09-Oct-16 13:39:04
Print Post

Thanks again, i have recently signed an 18 month contract with TT so cannot move, having said that i have been with them donkeys years and apart from a few screw ups with direct debit payments have had no problems whatsoever, i do not think i would move unless the offer to migrate was too good to turn down.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to