User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(member) Sun 10-Sep-17 15:38:42
Print Post

Faster Fibre.

[link to this post]

I was guaranteed a minimum speed of 35 Mbps and am getting 37 Mbps over Ethernet but like a lot of customer i am stuck at 22 Mbps over Wi-Fi (see long thread below) am i therefore entitled to request a move back to ADSL as i was getting 12 - 13 Mbps over Wi-Fi.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/favlinker.php?Entry...

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Sep-17 16:06:21
Print Post

Re: Faster Fibre.

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

No

Guarantees are generally around the connection speed, rather than throughput be that Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

It seems odd to be complaining of slow Wi-Fi speeds at 22 Mbps and asking if entitled to drop back to ADSL2+ which would be slower.

a) have you got the DLink router yet?
b) have you tested with all other Wi-Fi routers in range turned off, and other potential 2.4 GHz interfering devices?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Sun 10-Sep-17 16:28:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Guarantees are generally around the connection speed, rather than throughput be that Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
Thanks, i had a feeling no would be the answer.

It seems odd to be complaining of slow Wi-Fi speeds at 22 Mbps and asking if entitled to drop back to ADSL2+ which would be slower.
The reason i am asking about going back to ADSL is i haven't seen that much of a benefit other than on my PC (Ethernet) of moving to faster fibre and as we only have one PC but many wi-fi connected gadgets i would quite happily lose a bit of spped and save some money.

a) have you got the DLink router yet?
No but having read many posts about it i have a feeling its not going to give a higher speed. (i will be happy to be proved wrong)

b) have you tested with all other Wi-Fi routers in range turned off, and other potential 2.4 GHz interfering devices?
Yes i was the only person in the house the afternoon i was testing and i tried 2.4GHz and 5GHz and several other things listed below, the questions are from one of the community stars.

Have you tested different wireless channels?
YES.

Have you renamed both SSID's for 2.4 and 5 GHz -
YES.

Have you removed anything close to the phone that could interfere -
YES - my DECT phone.

What is the WiFi config set to on your HG633, are you using a short guard interval? If not you should be.
I tried both several times and it made no difference.

One other point how many devices do you have connected to each band & what WiFi mode do they support (e.g. 802.11b/g/n/ac). I'm sure it is not the case, but are any of these transmitting/receiving data (including the wired connections) whilst you carry out a wireless speed test?
When i have been testing the only thing using the wi-fi is my phone my PC which i mainly use is connected using Ethernett. (i was not using the PC when testing)

Does your mobile support 80MHz channels?
I don't know if my mobile supports 80MHz channels.

Do you have any other way of testing wifi performance with a different device ?
I have tested using several phones a laptop and two tablets the maximum test speed i have got was 24.66 (a one off) they are generally around 21 Mbps.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sun 10-Sep-17 16:31:04)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Sep-17 16:41:03
Print Post

Well if happy to lose upload and download speed then you can ask for a downgrade, whether it would be granted is another matter, I doubt it.

If an ISP is making a reasonable attempt to send out other hardware for testing, then it would be very unusual for them to do anything before you've given them a chance to try the different hardware

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Sun 10-Sep-17 16:57:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I am happy to give them the chance to sort this but having read many threads on the poor HG633 and D-LINK 3782 Wi-Fi speeds i am not holding my breath, do you think its a coincidence that so many members are saying the same in that they cannot get speeds above 22 Mbps even when their Ethernet tests are much higher.

Below are just a few quotes on the subject -

I've been having problems with the router since I first got it. Over ethernet there is no problem, but the WiFi is terrible.
Both my son's phone and mine will not work over WiFi, both are different makes so it's not a problem with the phone.
We are lucky to get 20mbps down over wifi when will easily get 40mbps over ethernet.
My father had the same router but replaced his with a Draytek unit and now miraculously he gets WiFi all over his house at twice the speed of the TalkTalk router.
When are TalkTalk going to acknowledge that there is a serious problem with the routers?

---------------

My HG633 seems incapable of a download throughput on WiFi of anything more that the high 20's

It has been like this since the day it was installed
-------------

I get around the 20 Mbps myself, and it's frustrating to even watch a 720p YouTube video, let alone a 480p one aha - WiFi is just terrible with this new "Super" Router.

-------------

I currently have a HG633 router with firmware versions V1.22t. My download speed varies from 8 to 20Mbps when connected wirelessly.

------------

I have had to turn my router off again this morning for 45 mins as the connection speed was very slow. On running a speed test using supportal-test.co.uk after turning back on the download speed was 5.46Mbps and upload was 3.69Mbps. The best that I ever get is arround 20Mbps on a line where i was informed that i could get about 35Mbps.
----------

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sun 10-Sep-17 16:59:24)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Sep-17 19:09:49
Print Post

ISP supplied routers don't always provide the best wifi coverage/speeds, in this case it might be worth spending some cash on a half decent router such as a Billion 8800NL, TPlink VR600 or VR900 etc. If you want the very best then go for a Billion 8900AX, TPlink VR2800 or Asus DSL-AC88U - obviously these aren't cheap but quality often costs.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel
(member) Sun 10-Sep-17 19:22:55
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks i would love to do that but don't want to spend a hundred pounds on a new router i want to show everyone that reads the TT forum there is a problem with the HG633 and not to be fobbed off with luck something might get done.

I am convinced they know there is a problem with the HG633 and are obviously not letting on as there would be an uproar if the truth came out.

They could save themselves a lot of grief if they said Faster Fibre guaranteed 35 Mbps but Wi-Fi speeds will vary depending on customers set up (or something similar)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Sep-17 20:26:04
Print Post

Is TalkTalk shipping the HG633 to customers now? If yes, then I'll repeat so evidence of widespread numbers of users having a speed cap

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Sep-17 21:06:27
Print Post

They could save themselves a lot of grief if they said Faster Fibre guaranteed 35 Mbps but Wi-Fi speeds will vary depending on customers set up (or something similar)
How EXACTLY does that differ from any other ISP? Wi-fi conditions are in most cases peculiar to the property where the device is installed and out of the control of any ISP. You've repeatedly posted links to a review of the router which show that it's capable of Wi-Fi speeds considerably in excess of any internet connection supplied by TalkTalk
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Sep-17 07:10:17
Print Post

Whilst you have stated that you have ensured that other WiFi devices were not operational in your house, have you considered other devices such as microwave cookers etc which operate in the same 2.4 GHz band, plus the possibilities of WiFi etc in neighbouring properties?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to