User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 11:15:50
Print Post

Re: Faster Fibre.

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Is TalkTalk shipping the HG633 to customers now? If yes, then I'll repeat so evidence of widespread numbers of users having a speed cap

If you google HG633 wi-fi speed problem there are numerous thread about it, i assume there are less than you would expect is when they guarantee a minimum speed and say test using Ethernet when customers see they are getting the speed they are guaranteed they assume the wi-fi will be the same and don't bother to test it.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Mon 11-Sep-17 11:16:39)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Sep-17 11:30:52
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Just for testing purposes, popped out my HG633.

Wifi Signal: -47RSSI
Transmit Rate: 650Mbps
Channel: 36
Realworld transfer speed: 3.0Mb/s

Comparatively Sky Q Hub, Same location and environment. Same laptop used for testing. Same NAS drive for file transfer.

Wifi Signal: -50RSSI
Transmit Rate: 780Mbps
Channel: 36
Realworld transfer speed: 41Mb/s

Both are using Windows 10. Wireless AC only. Transfering from a HP NAS Networked via ethernet drive, to a windows 10 machine connected over WiFi situation 2m from router.

In the absence of users on this forum testing the HG633 I ask people to reserve judgement, certainly I have 3 routers (HG633), and have been between 2 properties, where it is the same in both environments. I note the performance is poor, but it does burst sometimes in speed.
(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 12:04:43
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
Wi-fi conditions are in most cases peculiar to the property where the device is installed and out of the control of any ISP. You've repeatedly posted links to a review of the router which show that it's capable of Wi-Fi speeds considerably in excess of any internet connection supplied by TalkTalk

I know i am repeating myself but I have tested several different devices on a clear channel (wi-fi analizer) on 2.4 and 5 GHz and like many other i cannot get above 22Mbps, the graph below from the review shows what a POS this router is compared to others, many members have posted the HG635 was a much better router and it gave much better Wi-Fi speeds.

wi-fi speed graphs -

https://s26.postimg.org/7u9eyrvo9/2222222222.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/h75ep5a1l/555555.jpg

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 12:14:06
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Whilst you have stated that you have ensured that other WiFi devices were not operational in your house, have you considered other devices such as microwave cookers etc which operate in the same 2.4 GHz band, plus the possibilities of WiFi etc in neighbouring properties?

I have tested both 2.4 and 5 MHz and while the 2.4 channels are a little congested the 5 is not, all my tests were performed with everything turned off and i was the only one in the house, i even turned off the DECT phone on advice of the moderator on the TT forum.

Wi-Fi analizer results on the day of the test - (Rotary11)

5GHZ - https://eigde79682.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage...

2.4GHz - https://eigde79682.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage...

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Mon 11-Sep-17 12:15:46)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Sep-17 12:42:19
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

While we suggest connect via Ethernet we see a large amount of people on mobile/tablets which must be Wi-Fi so if the HG633 was say used by 1 in 4 TalkTalk FTTC customers, we'd expect to be able to see the issue

Not saying you are not seeing what you are seeing at all, but that overall is does not appear to be a major issue unless you are affected and what no-one knows is how many people are using the HG633 anymore

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Sep-17 16:59:03
Print Post

Is your WiFi speed poor when standing next to the router?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 17:28:22
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Is your WiFi speed poor when standing next to the router?

I am sat close to the router when running the tests.
(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 17:37:16
Print Post

A couple of members over at the TT forum have maybe found the reason for what i thought was a cap and as i know nothing about this i will post it here to see what you think -

As you know I have tested the wi-fi using 3 phones, two tablets and a laptop, the phones and one of the tablets are using Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n i haven't checked the others but as they are older i assume they are the same, i have been told 22 Mbps is a decent speed for 802.11 a/b/g/n and i guess therefore there is no point in trying another router. (not that i have been offered one yet)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Sep-17 18:13:46
Print Post

Well yes if the devices are using are actually only b/g/n then the speed is reasonable 802.11a which can use 5 GHz should be better but if you have older devices with just b/g/n/a its possible their a was early standard and may not perform that well.

i.e. testing the devices on another known well performing connection is a good idea, or naming the models and others will say.

2.4GHz 802.11n should go faster, but again it varies from device to device.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 18:36:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have found 5GHz gives the highest result on all devices that can see it (my wifes phone is old and cannot see it in available connections) i would still like to try the TT supplied D-link router i mentioned earlier but as yet my thread has not been answered by the OCE's.

I posted this a few minutes ago -

I am not sure what i changed but when i put it back to the orignal settings i started to get these speeds, (i think the low one was on 4G) this is in my kitchen with two walls between me and the router.

Test results - https://eigde79682.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage...
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to