User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(member) Sun 10-Sep-17 15:38:42
Print Post

Faster Fibre.

[link to this post]

I was guaranteed a minimum speed of 35 Mbps and am getting 37 Mbps over Ethernet but like a lot of customer i am stuck at 22 Mbps over Wi-Fi (see long thread below) am i therefore entitled to request a move back to ADSL as i was getting 12 - 13 Mbps over Wi-Fi.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/favlinker.php?Entry...

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Sep-17 16:06:21
Print Post

Re: Faster Fibre.

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

No

Guarantees are generally around the connection speed, rather than throughput be that Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

It seems odd to be complaining of slow Wi-Fi speeds at 22 Mbps and asking if entitled to drop back to ADSL2+ which would be slower.

a) have you got the DLink router yet?
b) have you tested with all other Wi-Fi routers in range turned off, and other potential 2.4 GHz interfering devices?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Sun 10-Sep-17 16:28:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Guarantees are generally around the connection speed, rather than throughput be that Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
Thanks, i had a feeling no would be the answer.

It seems odd to be complaining of slow Wi-Fi speeds at 22 Mbps and asking if entitled to drop back to ADSL2+ which would be slower.
The reason i am asking about going back to ADSL is i haven't seen that much of a benefit other than on my PC (Ethernet) of moving to faster fibre and as we only have one PC but many wi-fi connected gadgets i would quite happily lose a bit of spped and save some money.

a) have you got the DLink router yet?
No but having read many posts about it i have a feeling its not going to give a higher speed. (i will be happy to be proved wrong)

b) have you tested with all other Wi-Fi routers in range turned off, and other potential 2.4 GHz interfering devices?
Yes i was the only person in the house the afternoon i was testing and i tried 2.4GHz and 5GHz and several other things listed below, the questions are from one of the community stars.

Have you tested different wireless channels?
YES.

Have you renamed both SSID's for 2.4 and 5 GHz -
YES.

Have you removed anything close to the phone that could interfere -
YES - my DECT phone.

What is the WiFi config set to on your HG633, are you using a short guard interval? If not you should be.
I tried both several times and it made no difference.

One other point how many devices do you have connected to each band & what WiFi mode do they support (e.g. 802.11b/g/n/ac). I'm sure it is not the case, but are any of these transmitting/receiving data (including the wired connections) whilst you carry out a wireless speed test?
When i have been testing the only thing using the wi-fi is my phone my PC which i mainly use is connected using Ethernett. (i was not using the PC when testing)

Does your mobile support 80MHz channels?
I don't know if my mobile supports 80MHz channels.

Do you have any other way of testing wifi performance with a different device ?
I have tested using several phones a laptop and two tablets the maximum test speed i have got was 24.66 (a one off) they are generally around 21 Mbps.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sun 10-Sep-17 16:31:04)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Sep-17 16:41:03
Print Post

Well if happy to lose upload and download speed then you can ask for a downgrade, whether it would be granted is another matter, I doubt it.

If an ISP is making a reasonable attempt to send out other hardware for testing, then it would be very unusual for them to do anything before you've given them a chance to try the different hardware

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Sun 10-Sep-17 16:57:40
Print Post

I am happy to give them the chance to sort this but having read many threads on the poor HG633 and D-LINK 3782 Wi-Fi speeds i am not holding my breath, do you think its a coincidence that so many members are saying the same in that they cannot get speeds above 22 Mbps even when their Ethernet tests are much higher.

Below are just a few quotes on the subject -

I've been having problems with the router since I first got it. Over ethernet there is no problem, but the WiFi is terrible.
Both my son's phone and mine will not work over WiFi, both are different makes so it's not a problem with the phone.
We are lucky to get 20mbps down over wifi when will easily get 40mbps over ethernet.
My father had the same router but replaced his with a Draytek unit and now miraculously he gets WiFi all over his house at twice the speed of the TalkTalk router.
When are TalkTalk going to acknowledge that there is a serious problem with the routers?

---------------

My HG633 seems incapable of a download throughput on WiFi of anything more that the high 20's

It has been like this since the day it was installed
-------------

I get around the 20 Mbps myself, and it's frustrating to even watch a 720p YouTube video, let alone a 480p one aha - WiFi is just terrible with this new "Super" Router.

-------------

I currently have a HG633 router with firmware versions V1.22t. My download speed varies from 8 to 20Mbps when connected wirelessly.

------------

I have had to turn my router off again this morning for 45 mins as the connection speed was very slow. On running a speed test using supportal-test.co.uk after turning back on the download speed was 5.46Mbps and upload was 3.69Mbps. The best that I ever get is arround 20Mbps on a line where i was informed that i could get about 35Mbps.
----------

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sun 10-Sep-17 16:59:24)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Sep-17 19:09:49
Print Post

ISP supplied routers don't always provide the best wifi coverage/speeds, in this case it might be worth spending some cash on a half decent router such as a Billion 8800NL, TPlink VR600 or VR900 etc. If you want the very best then go for a Billion 8900AX, TPlink VR2800 or Asus DSL-AC88U - obviously these aren't cheap but quality often costs.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel
(member) Sun 10-Sep-17 19:22:55
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks i would love to do that but don't want to spend a hundred pounds on a new router i want to show everyone that reads the TT forum there is a problem with the HG633 and not to be fobbed off with luck something might get done.

I am convinced they know there is a problem with the HG633 and are obviously not letting on as there would be an uproar if the truth came out.

They could save themselves a lot of grief if they said Faster Fibre guaranteed 35 Mbps but Wi-Fi speeds will vary depending on customers set up (or something similar)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Sep-17 20:26:04
Print Post

Is TalkTalk shipping the HG633 to customers now? If yes, then I'll repeat so evidence of widespread numbers of users having a speed cap

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Sep-17 21:06:27
Print Post

They could save themselves a lot of grief if they said Faster Fibre guaranteed 35 Mbps but Wi-Fi speeds will vary depending on customers set up (or something similar)
How EXACTLY does that differ from any other ISP? Wi-fi conditions are in most cases peculiar to the property where the device is installed and out of the control of any ISP. You've repeatedly posted links to a review of the router which show that it's capable of Wi-Fi speeds considerably in excess of any internet connection supplied by TalkTalk
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Sep-17 07:10:17
Print Post

Whilst you have stated that you have ensured that other WiFi devices were not operational in your house, have you considered other devices such as microwave cookers etc which operate in the same 2.4 GHz band, plus the possibilities of WiFi etc in neighbouring properties?
(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 11:15:50
Print Post

Is TalkTalk shipping the HG633 to customers now? If yes, then I'll repeat so evidence of widespread numbers of users having a speed cap

If you google HG633 wi-fi speed problem there are numerous thread about it, i assume there are less than you would expect is when they guarantee a minimum speed and say test using Ethernet when customers see they are getting the speed they are guaranteed they assume the wi-fi will be the same and don't bother to test it.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Mon 11-Sep-17 11:16:39)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Sep-17 11:30:52
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Just for testing purposes, popped out my HG633.

Wifi Signal: -47RSSI
Transmit Rate: 650Mbps
Channel: 36
Realworld transfer speed: 3.0Mb/s

Comparatively Sky Q Hub, Same location and environment. Same laptop used for testing. Same NAS drive for file transfer.

Wifi Signal: -50RSSI
Transmit Rate: 780Mbps
Channel: 36
Realworld transfer speed: 41Mb/s

Both are using Windows 10. Wireless AC only. Transfering from a HP NAS Networked via ethernet drive, to a windows 10 machine connected over WiFi situation 2m from router.

In the absence of users on this forum testing the HG633 I ask people to reserve judgement, certainly I have 3 routers (HG633), and have been between 2 properties, where it is the same in both environments. I note the performance is poor, but it does burst sometimes in speed.
(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 12:04:43
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
Wi-fi conditions are in most cases peculiar to the property where the device is installed and out of the control of any ISP. You've repeatedly posted links to a review of the router which show that it's capable of Wi-Fi speeds considerably in excess of any internet connection supplied by TalkTalk

I know i am repeating myself but I have tested several different devices on a clear channel (wi-fi analizer) on 2.4 and 5 GHz and like many other i cannot get above 22Mbps, the graph below from the review shows what a POS this router is compared to others, many members have posted the HG635 was a much better router and it gave much better Wi-Fi speeds.

wi-fi speed graphs -

https://s26.postimg.org/7u9eyrvo9/2222222222.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/h75ep5a1l/555555.jpg
(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 12:14:06
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Whilst you have stated that you have ensured that other WiFi devices were not operational in your house, have you considered other devices such as microwave cookers etc which operate in the same 2.4 GHz band, plus the possibilities of WiFi etc in neighbouring properties?

I have tested both 2.4 and 5 MHz and while the 2.4 channels are a little congested the 5 is not, all my tests were performed with everything turned off and i was the only one in the house, i even turned off the DECT phone on advice of the moderator on the TT forum.

Wi-Fi analizer results on the day of the test - (Rotary11)

5GHZ - https://eigde79682.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage...

2.4GHz - https://eigde79682.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage...

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Mon 11-Sep-17 12:15:46)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Sep-17 12:42:19
Print Post

While we suggest connect via Ethernet we see a large amount of people on mobile/tablets which must be Wi-Fi so if the HG633 was say used by 1 in 4 TalkTalk FTTC customers, we'd expect to be able to see the issue

Not saying you are not seeing what you are seeing at all, but that overall is does not appear to be a major issue unless you are affected and what no-one knows is how many people are using the HG633 anymore

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Sep-17 16:59:03
Print Post

Is your WiFi speed poor when standing next to the router?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 17:28:22
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Is your WiFi speed poor when standing next to the router?

I am sat close to the router when running the tests.
(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 17:37:16
Print Post

A couple of members over at the TT forum have maybe found the reason for what i thought was a cap and as i know nothing about this i will post it here to see what you think -

As you know I have tested the wi-fi using 3 phones, two tablets and a laptop, the phones and one of the tablets are using Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n i haven't checked the others but as they are older i assume they are the same, i have been told 22 Mbps is a decent speed for 802.11 a/b/g/n and i guess therefore there is no point in trying another router. (not that i have been offered one yet)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Sep-17 18:13:46
Print Post

Well yes if the devices are using are actually only b/g/n then the speed is reasonable 802.11a which can use 5 GHz should be better but if you have older devices with just b/g/n/a its possible their a was early standard and may not perform that well.

i.e. testing the devices on another known well performing connection is a good idea, or naming the models and others will say.

2.4GHz 802.11n should go faster, but again it varies from device to device.

(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 18:36:49
Print Post

I have found 5GHz gives the highest result on all devices that can see it (my wifes phone is old and cannot see it in available connections) i would still like to try the TT supplied D-link router i mentioned earlier but as yet my thread has not been answered by the OCE's.

I posted this a few minutes ago -

I am not sure what i changed but when i put it back to the orignal settings i started to get these speeds, (i think the low one was on 4G) this is in my kitchen with two walls between me and the router.

Test results - https://eigde79682.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Sep-17 19:06:27
Print Post

Put what back? Router or mobile device?

What model is the mobile?

(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 19:16:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Put what back? Router or mobile device?

What model is the mobile?

I changed a few settings in the router following instructions in the TT forum then switched them back to the default ones.

The phone is a Motorola moto G4 - http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g4-8103.php
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Sep-17 20:37:58
Print Post

Finding people saying they are getting slow speeds on G4 phones over Wi-Fi so might be two poor devices

Mid range phones are not renowned for best wi-fi speeds, the top performing devices tend to be the latest iPhones and high end Androids

(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 20:57:07
Print Post

Finding people saying they are getting slow speeds on G4 phones over Wi-Fi so might be two poor devices

Mid range phones are not renowned for best wi-fi speeds, the top performing devices tend to be the latest iPhones and high end Androids

With luck one of the OCE's will pick my thread up and send me a D-link for test purposes, it will probably make no difference but at least i will know for sure the problem is my my phones/tablets not the router.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Sep-17 23:42:08
Print Post

It isn't in my opinion.

I'm iPhone 7, MacBook Pro 2014 retina, Lenovo t460s, iPad Pro.

Same sorts of issue whenever I use that device. I don't have a live Talktalk connection to test with so basing it on internal network transfer rates / setting up the hg633 as an access point.

Edit: I actually am on a friends talktalk.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 11-Sep-17 23:53:16)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Sep-17 23:50:31
Print Post

Just realised I'm at a friends right now on their wifi which is a HG633

For fun ran a speedtest sitting next to the router

5Ghz:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15051700708...

Stats

Internet Connection

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
WAN IP Address:

Primary DNS Server:
Secondary DNS Server:
79.79.79.80Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Downstream interleave depth:
None
DSL up-time:
17 days 6 hours 0 minutes 53 seconds

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 11-Sep-17 23:59:37)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Sep-17 23:58:39
Print Post

2.4ghz speedtest

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2248969516

Thinkbroadband one didn't complete just got stuck. That's pretty dire for 2.4 given I'm next to the router.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 11-Sep-17 23:59:16)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Sep-17 01:22:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:
I have found 5GHz gives the highest result on all devices that can see it (my wifes phone is old and cannot see it in available connections) i would still like to try the TT supplied D-link router i mentioned earlier but as yet my thread has not been answered by the OCE's.

I posted this a few minutes ago -

I am not sure what i changed but when i put it back to the orignal settings i started to get these speeds, (i think the low one was on 4G) this is in my kitchen with two walls between me and the router.

Test results - https://eigde79682.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage...
I find it very interesting your speedtests are all around 24Mbps and mines came out almost the exact same...

For reference, 5ghz on a sky Q hub 40Meg line. All fine:
http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6616186577

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 12-Sep-17 01:25:27)

(member) Tue 12-Sep-17 09:52:19
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for your help, so your phone can use 802.11a/b/g/n/ac and yet you can only get 21Mbps, as you say very interesting.

I have been looking at several threads about slow wifi when using the HG633 and this is from a community star at the TT forum.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/...

Hi @andy555

Michelle has asked me to help you.

There has been quite a bit of criticism of the HG633 as far as wireless performance is concerned, this is generally made up of these issues:-

Wireless errors - this is simply a red herring. It is a bug in the router's firmware that affects the way these errors are recorded. Whilst due to the very nature of the way WiFi works, it will never be totally error free, people wrongly assume that this affects the speed.

Its WiFi performance is not as good as some routers, I would not try to deny that.

The vast majority of WiFi problems can be vastly improved though by optimising the router, to get the best performance out of it.

Some WiFi adapters in the WiFi connected devices, do not allow the best performance from the router to be utilised.
I can help with points 3 & 4 here.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Sep-17 10:17:54
Print Post

Admire your perseverance mate but in all honesty you're peeing in the wind getting TT to admit the HG633 isn't fit for purpose (wrt wifi perfomance). It might be far less stressful just to buy an el-cheapo HG635 on eBay for £20 which is supposed to be better than their HG633.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122660802422

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel
(member) Tue 12-Sep-17 10:20:37
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Admire your perseverance mate but in all honesty you're peeing in the wind getting TT to admit the HG633 isn't fit for purpose (wrt wifi perfomance). It might be far less stressful just to buy an el-cheapo HG635 on eBay for £20 which is supposed to be better than their HG633.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122660802422

That is something i have considered. wink

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Tue 12-Sep-17 16:14:14)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Sep-17 19:41:39
Print Post

All my devices support AC, and they all get network transfer speeds of around 400Mbps in my home using a variety of routers (Sky Q Hub), BT HomeHub 6, Netgear D6400.

Seriously what is £20 on a HG635?
(member) Tue 12-Sep-17 19:57:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
All my devices support AC, and they all get network transfer speeds of around 400Mbps in my home using a variety of routers (Sky Q Hub), BT HomeHub 6, Netgear D6400.

Non of my devices are AC but i have read many posts saying the HG633 was a poor replacement for the HG635 and wi-fi is much faster using the HG635, i will soon know for sure. wink

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Sep-17 21:42:16
Print Post

Non of my devices are AC but i have read many posts saying the HG633 was a poor replacement for the HG635 and wi-fi is much faster using the HG635, i will soon know for sure. wink

I can whole-heartedly say the HG635 is my favourite ISP supplied router to-date, for reference I have tried the following:
Sky DG934G, Sky Hub SR101, Sky Hub SR102, Sky Q Hub, BT Homehub 4, 5 and 6, Virgin Superhub 1, Superhub 2AC, Superhub 3, TalkTalk Huawei HG533, HG633, HG635

Outside of ISP routers:
DG834G, DG834GT, D6400, Nighthawk (exact model not sure), DGN2000, D6200,

TP-Link
A whole bunch

Belkin Routers
A whole bunch

Pros of HG635, never self-reboots or needs rebooting, has good QOS if you go via the advanced URL link, can support 30+ devices connected at once, has better range than all ISP supplied routers I have tried (yes even the fancy new BT Smart Hub where Ryan Reynolds gets on his helecopter in the ad lol), has great 5Ghz transfer rates (300Mbps+), it gets 1080P streams to my devices @2.4Ghz where my BT SmartHub struggles to get 480P. It really is a set it and forget it kinda router, it just works, and works flawlessly.
(member) Wed 13-Sep-17 16:21:44
Print Post

I can whole-heartedly say the HG635 is my favourite ISP supplied router to-date, for reference I have tried the following:
Sky DG934G, Sky Hub SR101, Sky Hub SR102, Sky Q Hub, BT Homehub 4, 5 and 6, Virgin Superhub 1, Superhub 2AC, Superhub 3, TalkTalk Huawei HG533, HG633, HG635

Outside of ISP routers:

TP-Link
A whole bunch

Belkin Routers
A whole bunch

Pros of HG635, never self-reboots or needs rebooting, has good QOS if you go via the advanced URL link, can support 30+ devices connected at once, has better range than all ISP supplied routers I have tried (yes even the fancy new BT Smart Hub where Ryan Reynolds gets on his helecopter in the ad lol), has great 5Ghz transfer rates (300Mbps+), it gets 1080P streams to my devices @2.4Ghz where my BT SmartHub struggles to get 480P. It really is a set it and forget it kinda router, it just works, and works flawlessly.

A glowing review and it makes me glad i decided to take the plunge.

It begs the question if the HG635 was such a great router (as i have read countless times) why was it replaced by the inferior HG633?

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 13-Sep-17 16:26:35
Print Post

Cost perhaps.
(member) Wed 13-Sep-17 16:33:25
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Cost perhaps.

With their reputation i would have though upsetting more customers was the last thing they would want, to say you get a guaranteed minimum connection speed then when you have signed up for an 18 month contract you find its only guaranteed when using Ethernet stinks as they know the majority of us use wi-fi for most devices i bet the majority of customers don't connect anything by Ethernet and the only time the cable comes out is when they need to run speed tests..
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Sep-17 16:50:07
Print Post

100% cost the 633 does not have gigabit ports for instance.

As soon as they brought out the 633 they gave it to all customers even those on ADSL. Previously only fibre customers got a 635 and others a 533.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Sep-17 18:06:26
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...

Outside of ISP routers:

TP-Link
A whole bunch

Belkin Routers
A whole bunch

A glowing review and it makes me glad i decided to take the plunge.

It begs the question if the HG635 was such a great router (as i have read countless times) why was it replaced by the inferior HG633?

I got one with my TTB connection, Can't fault it either.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Sep-17 18:19:23
Print Post

The new Sky fibre guarantee is only to the hub, does not even include tests over Ethernet

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Sep-17 01:15:38
Print Post

The new Sky fibre guarantee is only to the hub, does not even include tests over Ethernet
The Sky Q WiFi certainly cannot guarantee it, where each Sky Box is a booster...
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Sep-17 10:01:35
Print Post

They are on rather sticky ground with the whole claim don't you think?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Sep-17 12:07:01
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

As always if you stop and digest wording its fine, so all down to how ASA/CAP interpret things and that is highly variable

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Sep-17 13:53:07
Print Post

As always if you stop and digest wording its fine, so all down to how ASA/CAP interpret things and that is highly variable

Fair enough - but the average consumer won't want to/wont think to do that - they will just see Guarantee of 55mbps and go order it. When they can't get that, it'll be a battle with Sky.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Sep-17 14:08:25
Print Post

How far does this go? If my router is 3 rooms away through solid brick walls then who's to blame for not getting the guaranteed speed?

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Sep-17 14:22:56
Print Post

How far does this go? If my router is 3 rooms away through solid brick walls then who's to blame for not getting the guaranteed speed?

That's a very good question. If it's not even based on Ethernet speed then (to me) it seems pointless
(member) Thu 14-Sep-17 16:15:03
Print Post

I agree that distance and walls etc are going to be a factor in what wi-fi speed you get but getting just over half the guaranteed speed sat 3 feet away from the router is not acceptable, my argument is not so much about the speed i am getting its that many are saying it is the router that is limiting it, time will of course tell when i get the HG635.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Sep-17 17:17:53
Print Post

Based on connection speed and point is if thats below 55 Mbps you can opt to drop to a 55/10 product and pay a little less each month and get the setup fee refunded, or go elsewhere.

Alas what will encourage more onto a faster service is what Vodafone have done i.e. up to 76 Mbps that is cheaper now than many providers up to 38 Mbps

(member) Thu 14-Sep-17 18:54:16
Print Post

Here are the head to head results -

Both router stats for line quality were nearly identical at 39997 down and 9995 up and both test results over Ethernet were also very close.

HG633 - https://eigde79682.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage...

HG635 - https://eigde79682.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage...

A 6Mbps increase over the HG633 is not to be sniffed at and as i don't have any devices that will work on 802.11ac and don't intend to upgrade any time soon it'll do for me, i also prefer the design and smaller size.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Thu 14-Sep-17 18:58:23)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Sep-17 22:25:46
Print Post

What device do you have that's low for even 2.4ghz
(member) Fri 15-Sep-17 15:44:11
Print Post

What device do you have that's low for even 2.4ghz

This is Wi-fi on several devices that will not work on 802.11ac i get 37Mbps on Ethernet.
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Sep-17 16:10:17
Print Post

Can you elaborate as to one of the devices you are using?

(member) Fri 15-Sep-17 16:25:01
Print Post

Can you elaborate as to one of the devices you are using?

I am mainly using a Motorola Moto G4 but i have used a couple of tablets and other phones, all have given roughly the same speeds.

This is faster fibre - Unlimited, uncapped with speeds up to 38Mb my guaranteed minimum was 35Mbps using Ethernet.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Fri 15-Sep-17 16:27:42)

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Sep-17 10:46:29
Print Post

On your G4 try turning off Bluetooth and WIFI scanning and retest the WIFI speed.

(member) Sun 17-Sep-17 15:16:25
Print Post

On your G4 try turning off Bluetooth and WIFI scanning and retest the WIFI speed.

I never have Bluetooth on and i cannot seem to find a setting to turn WIFI scanning off.
(member) Fri 22-Sep-17 19:21:42
Print Post

I have been sent a D-link 3782 to test as the HG633 was giving me poor rersults using Wi-fi then later Ethernet, the Ethernet speeds are roughly the same as when i first moved to faster fibre at 37Mbps but the Wi-fi is much faster -

HG633 - https://eigde79682.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage...

D-link 3782 - https://eigde79682.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to