User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Thu 21-Sep-17 11:29:54
Print Post

TALKTALK COMMUNITY LOGIN ERROR!

[link to this post]

Could a kindly existing active TalkTalk Community member please bring the following problem to the attention of the Online Community Executive over there.

I have been using the TalkTalk Community Login name ‘Richard Savage’ since 31 October 2013, and until now I have never had a problem with access. Feel free to check my user entry.

However, since around 20:45 - 19 September 2017 - I have been unable to login, and receive the following error:

[Login name] ’Contains one or more invalid characters. This field can
contain letters, numbers, and special characters, such as dashes or
underscores. Spaces are not permitted.’

I cannot do it myself, since because, as you may observe, my Login name, not unlike many others, contains a space! Tried Customer Services, but .......... total waste of time, aaaaaagggggrrrrr!

~R.

Edited by Rycharde (Thu 21-Sep-17 15:09:56)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 21-Sep-17 11:53:22
Print Post

Re: TALKTALK COMMUNITY LOGIN ERROR!

[re: Rycharde] [link to this post]

Can you sign up with a new name?
Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Fri 22-Sep-17 12:31:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for your input BatBoy, and although I would think it feasible to register as a new user, I am given to understand that particular course of action is regarded as unacceptable!

It is a sad reflection on the way in which TalkTalk Community is managed, that it is impossible to make contact regarding a problem with the logging in procedure, without first ……….. logging in!

I had a 2-1/2 hour ‘Online chat’ session with TalkTalk Customer Support regarding the matter, but pretty-much as expected, I simply got the runaround, and ended up right back where I started. Nowhere!

I am aware that the thinkbroadband website is visited by users of the TalkTalk Community forum, including the ‘Online Community Executive’, and ‘Community Star’ echelon; one in particular has even recently expounded the virtues of this very forum, but still no response!

~R.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Sep-17 12:50:47
Print Post

Your best bet is to get in touch with their Twitter team, create a temp twitter account if necessary. I believe their Twitter team is manned by the same Warrington based staff as their forums (OCEs).

twitter.com/talktalk

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Sat 23-Sep-17 08:02:05
Print Post

Richard_Savage Insightful One
Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Sat 23-Sep-17 12:53:22
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks baby_frogmella; I had some success with the twitter approach you advised, but matters are yet to reach a totally satisfactory outcome. That may be too much to expect however, even given MY low expectations!

~R.

Richard Savage ~ Wise Owl

Edited by Rycharde (Sat 23-Sep-17 12:53:54)

Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(member) Sat 23-Sep-17 14:02:28
Print Post

I have posted your problem in the TT forum with luck someone will contact you here - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/TA...

(member) Sat 23-Sep-17 14:59:43
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

eebdsirhc posted over at the TT forum -

All his posts seem to list him as :-

Richard_Savage

You could tell him to try that.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sat 23-Sep-17 15:00:24)

Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Mon 25-Sep-17 11:39:35
Print Post

Thanks for your assistance Chippy_Tea; it is much appreciated.

Having logged-in over a period of around 1,500 day’s, probably 10 times a day - a conservative estimate of 15,000 logins — and delivering in excess of 1,000 posts, as Richard Savage - facts which can be clearly viewed on my systems, stored by three different browsers, across four platforms, and in scores of thread pages, saved as .pdf’s - why would I suddenly need to introduce an underscore into my ‘Login name’?

But hey-ho, the vagaries of TalkTalk strike again eh? At the present time, the solution remains a mystery. I have been informed that the matter is in the hands of the technical support team, who will tweet me - whatever that means! - with their dissertations …….. sometime in the future!

~R.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 25-Sep-17 11:46:58
Print Post

Have you tried logging in with the underscore?
(member) Mon 25-Sep-17 14:22:48
Print Post

Is this you - 1186 posts - joined 31/10/15 - https://s26.postimg.org/et695dhnt/ggg.jpg

I have been using lastpass for a couple of years as was always forgetting passwords - https://www.lastpass.com/how-it-works

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Mon 25-Sep-17 14:30:04)

Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Tue 26-Sep-17 14:50:37
Print Post

No I haven’t BatBoy, however, I checked on Monday 25 September 2017 ~ 12:03, and apparently Richard_Savage was ‘Last online: 3 days ago’, I.E. Saturday 23 September 2017.

Have I tried logging in with the underscore, no I haven't BatBoy!

My last, and as it turned out abortive, attempt, was Tuesday 19 September 2017 ~ 20:45, 6 days previous, so somebody is playing silly beggars, and it is pointing right at forum management!

I have also received a e.mail, at 26 September 2017 07:49, from no-reply@community-notifications.talktalk.co.uk, to my alternative / verification / authentication e.mail address, following a request for a password reset, from RichardSavage111, who registered 12 November 2015, and was last on line ……… 1 Year ago!

Something ain’t right!

~R.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 26-Sep-17 14:52:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rycharde:
Have I tried logging in with the underscore, no I haven't BatBoy!
I suggest you try it.
Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Tue 26-Sep-17 14:57:06
Print Post

Yes, that could be me, or on the other hand, and no, I don’t have any problem recalling passwords, they are in the keychain. It’s a mystery!

~R.

Edited by Rycharde (Tue 26-Sep-17 21:29:07)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 26-Sep-17 15:00:41
Print Post

why would I suddenly need to introduce an underscore into my ‘Login name’?
Because that was their first suggestion in response to Chippy-Tea's post.
(member) Tue 26-Sep-17 15:10:35
Print Post

PS ~ Yes, that could be me, or on the other hand, and no, I don’t have any problem recalling passwords, they are in the keychain. It’s a mystery!

I may be missing something here, you are saying the person with the underscore (below) could be you then you are saying you didn't have an underscore in your username wouldn't it be a good idea to try logging in with the underscore.

Is this you - 1186 posts - joined 31/10/15 - https://s26.postimg.org/et695dhnt/ggg.jpg

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Tue 26-Sep-17 15:16:23)

Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Tue 26-Sep-17 16:29:58
Print Post

Yes Chippy_Tea_ I am indeed stating, categorically, that I have never, ever, entered Richard_Savage as a user name, and I can prove it!

However, as suggested, I have now attempted to log in using Richard_Savage and I get a nice little message which says .............

That login name and password combination do not match any valid user on this community

On the assumption that this is password error, on my part, I have requested a password reset. I'll get back to you.

~R.
Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Wed 27-Sep-17 13:47:37
Print Post

Good day Chippy_Tea_ / BatBoy.

At 26 September 2017, I requested a Login name Richard_Savage password reset, and the following statement was displayed:

‘Email sent. You should receive an email with a link to reset your password shortly.’

I waited for the e.mail to arrive, then I waited some more, and then some more, and then ………….. I went to bed.

An e.mail, timed at 26/09/2017 ~ 21:36, arrived in my inbox at 27/09/2017 ~ 06:03. It contains the following footnote:

For security reasons and to keep your community account super secure, this link is only valid for a few hours after which it will expire and you'll need to request a password reset again.

……. so I was clearly out of time!

Once again I requested a password reset, but with limited success, since at different points during the process, I was presented with one, or more, or other, of the following notes:

‘That login name and password combination do not match any valid user on this community.’

‘Correct highlighted areas and try again.’

’We are unable to reset your password because the token has expired’

‘You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.’

So, at this time, my TalkTalk Community access remains elusive!

~R.

PS ~ I am yet to receive any form of update from [twitter] TalkTalk technical support!

Edited by Rycharde (Wed 27-Sep-17 20:47:09)

(member) Wed 27-Sep-17 15:51:14
Print Post

Yes Chippy_Tea_ I am indeed stating, categorically, that I have never, ever, entered Richard_Savage as a user name, and I can prove it!

However, as suggested, I have now attempted to log in using Richard_Savage and I get a nice little message which says .............

That login name and password combination do not match any valid user on this community

On the assumption that this is password error, on my part, I have requested a password reset. I'll get back to you.

~R.

I will put it another way, if you read the 1000+ posts by Richard_Savage were they posted by you?

Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Wed 27-Sep-17 21:10:00
Print Post

All posts made by me, between 31 October 2013 and prior to, 19 September 2017, were made under the User name Richard Savage. There is no Richard_Savage!

In the ‘Need some help?’ dialogue - E.G. > Forum Index > Sign In to TalkTalk Community - if I key ‘Users’, from the drop-down menu, enter Richard_Savage, in ’Search the community’, and key search, the response I get is …….

’No search results found.’

There is no user with the Login name Richard_Savage; Community Star eebdsirhc appears to have conjured that one up!

If you follow the above search sequence Chippy_Tea_, what response do you get?

~R.
Standard User vitrocmax
(newbie) Wed 27-Sep-17 22:05:44
Print Post

I just did a search for Richard and nothing else, out of 718 options I sorted by post and there's a RichardSavage, no spaces or underscore, with 1186 posts since 31-10-15. Top poster with the name of Richard.

About me says '30 years a facilitator, 10 years a factotum!'

Last online 4 days ago.

Is that you?

edit to add 'about me' quote

Edited by vitrocmax (Wed 27-Sep-17 22:08:41)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 27-Sep-17 22:18:07
Print Post

[re: vitrocmax] [link to this post]

eebdsirhc Community Star
34 minutes ago
@Chippy_Tea_

Don't know if you want to post this on Thinkbroadband or not, but it looks like his community id has been changed.

It is now just RichardSavage, no space no underscore.
Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Thu 28-Sep-17 16:49:33
Print Post

Rycharde - a test message has been sent to the "RichardSavage" TalkTalk user id. Can you confirm if a notification is received.
Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Fri 29-Sep-17 08:34:55
Print Post

[re: vitrocmax] [link to this post]

Thanks for your interest vitrocmax, and yes, the posts certainly have the appearance of being mine - green, Comic Sans font, ~R. signature, blinking BBC owl avatar - but, my Log in name is Richard Savage, as in the 19-05-2017 08:23 AM Online Community Executive Ady post here -

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/di...

It is not Richard-Savage, Richard_Savage, RichardSavage, Richard.Savage, RichardSavage111, or any other combination of characters, and has been since 31 October 2013, up until things went tips-up sometime prior to 19 September 2017, the date of my last log in attempt, which makes my most recent log in over 8 days before the 27 September 2017, and NOT 4 days as stated!

‘Community Star’ eebdsirhc seems to know something about what is going on, but appears to have successfully diverted my original request for involvement on the matter away from the Online Community Executive, who may conceivably be in a position to throw some light on the situation!

~R.

PS ~ I am yet to receive any updates from twitter!
Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Fri 29-Sep-17 08:38:07
Print Post

[re: eebdsirhc] [link to this post]

No eebdsirhc, I cannot confirm the receipt of a test message notification! at this time!

~R.
Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Fri 29-Sep-17 10:04:22
Print Post

‘Community Star’ eebdsirhc seems to know something about what is going on, but appears to have successfully diverted my original request for involvement on the matter away from the Online Community Executive, who may conceivably be in a position to throw some light on the situation!

WHAT !!!!!!

It is reasonably clear that your logon user name has somehow been corrupted. I (and other people on this Thinkbroadband forum) have been making suggestions as to how you can try to identify the problem - by testing the easily identified name attached to all your post. You seem to ignore other people's sensible advise.

I responded to Chippy_Tea_'s request to help you by raising this problem on the TT forums. How is that "diverting your request".

I identified the corrupt names in the TT directories, and passed the information to help you. How is that "diverting your request".

I sent a test email to you to try and see if the user id was actively responding. How is that "diverting your request".

No one other than myself has raised this issue with the OCE's - how is that "diverting your request" ?

Look at some other facts ..................

3 people on these forums pointed out the Richard_Savage corruption - not just myself.

Your TT profile says you joined in 2015, not the 2013 you keep quoting. So inaccurate information.

The RichardSavage111 TalkTalk account was created just 12 or 13 days after the Richard Savage account back in 2015, what are the odds of that ?

You say you have contacted the TT twitter feed, then in a latter post you say you don't know what a tweet is.

TBB users point you to what are very obviously your posts and you don't confirm them because the user name is wrong !

Of all the people on the TT forums you appear to be the only person reporting this issue - so a reasonable question would be what did you do with your personal details just before this corruption occurred.

As a TT forum moderator I am bound by certain guidelines that occasionally prevent me from telling forum members what I really think about their posts. This is one of them.

It would appear to be appropriate that I no longer try to assist you with this issue.

Edited by eebdsirhc (Fri 29-Sep-17 12:22:51)

Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Fri 29-Sep-17 10:51:12
Print Post

One last addition.

I have just been informed via the OCEs that your user name has been changed to "RichardSavage" - (no underlines and no spaces) to rectify the problem.
(member) Fri 29-Sep-17 16:50:26
Print Post

Thanks for your interest vitrocmax, and yes, the posts certainly have the appearance of being mine - green, Comic Sans font, ~R. signature, blinking BBC owl avatar - but, my Log in name is Richard Savage, as in the 19-05-2017 08:23 AM Online Community Executive Ady post here -

Why do you say "the posts certainly have the appearance of being mine" they either are or are not, you appear to be playing some sort of silly game and have been throughout this thread why would anyone not test the username with the underscore as was suggested earlier in the thread, it looks like you finally got your problem sorted but to be honest i wish i had not bothered wasting my time trying to help as you did nothing to help yourself.

Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Tue 03-Oct-17 11:46:03
Print Post

FOR THE RECORD!

I acknowledge your concerns Chippy_Tea_, and I appreciate your forthright and honest response, but I can assure you, I am deadly serious regarding the disruption to my user identity, and the ‘problem’; remains far from being sorted out; but since I would not wish it to be the cause of any animosity between us, I must accept your reasons to disregard any further posting on my part.

The above notwithstanding, and with due regard to your statement, Quote: ‘ ……. why would anyone not test the username with the underscore as was suggested earlier in the thread …….. ‘, I did; and may I respectfully draw your attention to my Tue 26-Sep-17 16:29:58 and Wed 27-Sep-17 13:47:37 posts, where I made reference to my experience with that particular process.

A further request for a password reset made by me at 29/09/2017 20:49, was delivered at 30/09/2017 07:13:04 - Dated after the reply to a previous 29/09/2017 22:52 request incidentally! - and as a consequence, void, for the following reason!

Quote: ‘For security reasons and to keep your community account super secure, this link is only valid for a few hours after which it will expire and you'll need to request a password reset again.’

[The most recent password reset arrived at 30/9/2017, 15:20, and was dated 27/09/2017, 21:55, a 4 day delay, unbelievable!]

So why was my user name changed from Richard Savage, to Richard_Savage, in the first place? It was because the space character was removed from those that are now regarded as acceptable for inclusion in a user name! Unfortunately, nobody had the courtesy, or forethought, to inform the hundreds of users who have a space in there handle. There has been no corruption!

Why was another, existing, user name changed, from RichardSavage to RichardSavage111? This was so that Richard_Savage could then be changed to RichardSavage. Why?

I have had no personal experience of the Richard_Savage user name, but I do appreciate that is not possible for two users to have the same handle, or for any user to personally change their existing handle, so whatever shuffling-about took place was clearly NOT down to me, and the individual who was, is conspicuous by they’re lack of involvement in putting things right!

Returning to the most recent incarnation of ‘my’ user name, RichardSavage, the last time I checked, it remains inaccessible.

Try and put yourself in my position Chippy_Tea_. After hundreds of successful, effortless logging in to TalkTalk Community, using Richard Savage, you receive the messages:

‘Correct the highlighted errors and try again.’
[Login name]
‘Contains one or more invalid characters. This field can

What are your immediate thoughts? Has the account been violated, have I entered the correct information, is the automatic sign in data incorrect, either way, you reenter the required data; maybe several times, but you still get the error message, so it looks like you’ve got a problem.

Assume that the user name is Chippy Tea, and the entry parameters have been changed, so the way ahead has got to be, contact TalkTalk Community, so, sign in and post the problem that you have a sign in problem, except ……. you cannot sign in.

That was where I found myself, and it was at this point you offered your assistance; but the situation, far from improving, has worsened, and I presently find myself in exactly the same position now, that I was to begin with, I cannot sign in with RichardSavage, and I cannot reset the password.

Some very strange things have been going on, and I continue in my hope that an omission as to the real cause of this particular anomaly might be forthcoming, but all I appear to have succeeded in doing is to make myself unpopular with other posters!

I was rather hoping for an intervention from a member of the Online Community Executive before now, to sort out the problem, which was why I included the statement, Quote: ‘ please bring the following problem to the attention of the Online Community Executive ……. ‘.

However, I understand that some areas of the forum are apparently not monitored by the Online Community Executive, although I am not aware of any official demarcation. Perhaps your post might have been better placed Chippy_Tea_. Sorry, but you did question the location of the post yourself Chippy_Tea_!

My comment notwithstanding, why was the post not moved, to a more suitable location, where it might receive the requested attention, and why was it not escalated; not even once? Actually, on reflection, I think I know the reason for that!

As of the time of this post, after 15 day’s, 5 apparent changes of user identity, the assistance offered by 5 thinkbroadband.com forum members, no direct involvement from the [TalkTalk] Online Community Executive, from any source - despite my specific request for their assistance - not even an official acknowledgement of the fact that a problem even exists, interaction with the Community forum continues to elude me!

Customer services inform that they cannot help, and that I should contact technical support; technical support inform me that they cannot assist me, and that I should contact customer services.

A complaint has been logged, on my behalf, but the only means of contact to discuss it, is by telephone, and, as I have previously advised both contacts, audio contact is not an option. It is just as well I do not have a real problem!

I initially registered with the Community with little more than one thing in mind; getting technical help if I needed it, but ended-up providing more help than I am ever likely to receive.,

Although I still do not have access to the forum, I now notice that the [Blinking Owl] avatar has also mysteriously disappeared. Who is responsible for that? What next I wonder? How should a communication company communicate? I despair!

Apologies for the length of the post, but things needed to be said!

~R.

E&OE
(member) Tue 03-Oct-17 13:52:44
Print Post

I haven't a clue why they have changed your username but it cannot be to get rid of underscores as i have two in mine and it still works - Chippy_Tea_

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Tue 03-Oct-17 13:54:47)

Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Wed 04-Oct-17 00:33:26
Print Post

NOW WILL SOMEBODY BELIEVE ME!

As I stated previously, I know exactly why my sign in name has been changed, and other users are experiencing the same problem.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/...

ERROR [Login name] ’Contains one or more invalid characters. This field can

It is not a case of removing a underscore, but a case of adding a underscore, to replace any existing space[s], but nobody seems prepared to believe me!

Your sign in name Chippy_Tea_, meets the above requirement, but mine - Richard Savage, - and Radio Active Man does not!

~R.

PS ~ With respect to the opening statement in my Tue 03-Oct-17 ~11:46:03 post, I would very much appreciate it if someone would draw the attention of Community Star Gondola to my thread here, via the above hyperlink.

Edited by Rycharde (Wed 04-Oct-17 04:26:06)

Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Wed 04-Oct-17 09:42:41
Print Post

For information only.

As you have already been informed your problem was escalated to the forum management by myself and your log in name was corrected to a valid format, as it turns out by StephenF - the Community Manager. You cannot get a higher authority on the forums than that.

Anything beyond that is simply your conjecture and misunderstanding (including your supposed proof link).

RichardSavage - 1180 posts, 282 likes, 26 answers - clearly and easily accessible.

Edited by eebdsirhc (Wed 04-Oct-17 15:48:23)

(member) Wed 04-Oct-17 15:12:01
Print Post

Your sign in name Chippy_Tea_, meets the above requirement, but mine - Richard Savage, - and Radio Active Man does not!

DOH, i had a massive senior moment there. laugh

Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Fri 06-Oct-17 08:04:01
Print Post

Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Wed 04-Oct-17 09:42:41

[Incorrect data / comment!]

RichardSavage - 1180 posts, 282 likes, 26 answers - clearly and easily accessible.

Edited by eebdsirhc (Wed 04-Oct-17 15:48:23)

[Correct data / comment]

Null Avatar

RichardSavage 1,186 posts ~ 276 likes ~ 26 answers

. Last online 12 days ago

After 18 days, still unclear, still inaccessible, and still no Online Community Executive feed back!
Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Fri 06-Oct-17 14:07:10
Print Post

For the record .......................

TalkTalk forum management have today reported that Lithium are investigating the delays in email delivery - in particular forum notifications and password reset emails.

"and still no Online Community Executive feed back!"

The TT OCEs have nothing to do with the Thinkbroadband forums, I fail to understand why you expect them to respond to you here.

There has been OCE feedback on your issue, which I have fully reported on these forums, if you chose to ignore the contents of my posts that is your problem rather than mine or TalkTalk's. I have now just updated you with the latest information regarding password resets.

User - RichardSavage - 1186 posts, 282 likes, 26 solutions. According to my moderator's stats screen.

There for everyone to see and read every post (if they wanted to).

Edited by eebdsirhc (Fri 06-Oct-17 20:03:02)

Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Sat 07-Oct-17 08:06:49
Print Post

And another for the record ...................................

From some quick research I cannot find any other user on the whole of the TalkTalk forums who is raising issues concerning "disappearing" avatars (and smiley images).

I suspect you need to ask yourself what it is you are doing differently to (apparently) every other TT forum user.

Hint - if I were you I would start with the source or your little images, they do appear to be unique to yourself and are not from any TalkTalk library that I am aware of.

Edited by eebdsirhc (Sat 07-Oct-17 09:57:41)

Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Sat 07-Oct-17 14:05:49
Print Post

Re: TALKTALK COMMUNITY LOGIN ERROR! *DELETED*

Post deleted by eebdsirhc

Edited by eebdsirhc (Sat 07-Oct-17 14:10:35)

(member) Tue 10-Oct-17 16:24:13
Print Post

eebdsirhc if you are still following this could you look at this members thread as i have just answered it and obviously bumped it again, thanks - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/...
Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Tue 10-Oct-17 16:39:25
Print Post

Yes, I'm aware of that thread - I will post a response there.

The easier way to draw my attention would have been to @mention me there as I monitor the TalkTalk forums on a regular basis, but not these Thinkbroadband forums.
Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Tue 10-Oct-17 17:22:05
Print Post

In response to the Sat 07-Oct-17 08:06:49 post:

You do not specify the nature of the graphic you refer to eebdsirhc, but I will make the assumption that you are referring to the most recent avatar placement, which, is / was, the perfectly acceptable agif which I generated on Thursday 13 April 2017 ~ 00:30, shortly after I was branded a ’Wise Owl’.

Fred_Sheehan has been using the similarly generated graphic - fire_01.gif - since around March 2010, probably.

The version I uploaded on Sunday 16 April 2017 ~ 18:00, to the avatar location, was build #2. Unless it has been removed, you will find it in the Private album of my Photos, but why is it no longer linked to my registered user name?

Regarding my statistics, since Chippy_Tea_ quotes a figure of 1186 ~ Mon 25-Sep-17 14:22:48 & Tue 26-Sep-17 15:10:35, vitrocmax quotes a figure of 1186 ~ Wed 27-Sep-17 22:05:44, my banner presently displays: 1,186 posts / 276 likes / 26 answers, and my User statistics displays: 1186 posts / 276 likes / 26 answers / 1124 replies / 25 badges / 9 followers, then clearly, your moderator's stats screen, is in error!.

I no longer need to be concerned that e.mail responses to my requests for a password change are arriving after hours, or even after a day following my request, and are therefore as a consequence, timed-out, I am not getting e.mail responses from that particular source at all! Perhaps the e.mail you sent me - circa Fri 29-Sep-17 - has met with the same fate, because I am yet to receive that also!

Furthermore, I do not need to ask myself, Quote: ‘ what it is you are doing differently to (apparently) every other TT forum user, because, to date, I have now casually come across two other registered users, who have run into exactly the same problem!

There are scores of registered users with a space, or spaces, in their user name, who even now may well be looking for a way around the sign in error problem, but it is unlikely that they will surface, except on an occasional basis, because ………… how do you sign in to the TalkTalk Community, to get assistance, without firstly signing in to the TalkTalk Community, to complain that you cannot sign it to the TalkTalk Community?

The individuals in question have taken a different approach to the problem. One took the approach that you had previously denigrated, and which, under your advisement, I avoided, for what good it did me!

All you needed to do, to comply with my specific request, was to key the macro:

i have flagged this for the OCEs ..................

I would have be happy sit back to await their measured response, but you declared a corruption problem, which it isn't. If I were you eebdsirhc, I would be asking myself, why, after 21 day’s, and counting, has access to TalkTalk Community not been restored to this user, and why has the underlying reason for this charade not be dealt with at source.

~R

Edited by Rycharde (Tue 10-Oct-17 22:28:51)

(member) Tue 10-Oct-17 17:33:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by eebdsirhc:
Yes, I'm aware of that thread - I will post a response there.

The easier way to draw my attention would have been to @mention me there as I monitor the TalkTalk forums on a regular basis, but not these Thinkbroadband forums.

I will do that if i need to get your attention in the future.

Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Wed 11-Oct-17 12:40:05
Print Post

Further to your 'TinternJason - no internet access and unable to log-in to forum' post Chippy_Tea_:

Quote: 'There is a lengthy thread about another member having the same problem and the solution here - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/talktalk/f/4566226-...

What solution? For whatever reason, the sign-in sequence parameters were changed, rendering a space character unacceptable - a fact which as yet nobody has acknowledged - which has resulted in all users with one, or more, spaces in their registered user name being rejected at sign in.

Community management have attempted to firefight this, by offering to remove any existing space, or spaces, completely, or to replace the offending character with an acceptable one, which has resulted in at least one user having two user names. Although this arrangement has been denigrated by eebdsirhc as unacceptable, that fact has been ignored by community management.

There must scores of users, who are potentially effected by this problem alone, and who would as a consequence require a password reset.

The snow job may well have gone unnoticed, but the system objected on two fronts. Firstly by placing users in a continuous reset password e.mail loop, a hiding to nothing, and then by a delayed password reset e.mail delivery, and - in my case at least - no password reset e.mail delivery at all.

Solved, I think not, but allegedly, all my fault. However, I cannot work on a solution, because curiously, after 22 day's ………. I still cannot sign in!

~R.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 11-Oct-17 13:08:08
Print Post

So what’s stopping you now?
Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Wed 11-Oct-17 15:36:44
Print Post

Although this arrangement has been denigrated by eebdsirhc as unacceptable, that fact has been ignored by community management.~R.

Rycharde - would you like to reference the quote where I denigrated this solution. I thought you were the person in this thread who quoted this as being unacceptable.

You say your thread has never been escalated - how do you imagine StephenF found out about your issue and modified your user name ?

There is no evidence of "scores" of user being effected. The vast majority of registered users, join the site, have their issues resolved, and then leave and are never seen again. So your "scores" is pure imagination and conjecture, unsupported by facts.

But purely for reference, a permanent solution to this issue has now been implemented.

Edited by eebdsirhc (Wed 11-Oct-17 19:34:32)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 11-Oct-17 15:56:59
Print Post

But purely for reference, a permanent solution to this issue has now been implemented.
Which is...?
Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Wed 11-Oct-17 16:45:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Which is...?

Sorry, not sure I'm allowed to publicise the solution before it has been disclosed on the TalkTalk forums.

Edited by eebdsirhc (Wed 11-Oct-17 16:48:49)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 11-Oct-17 16:47:24
Print Post

What's the worst that could happen? smile
(member) Wed 11-Oct-17 16:48:52
Print Post

Further to your 'TinternJason - no internet access and unable to log-in to forum' post Chippy_Tea_:

Quote: 'There is a lengthy thread about another member having the same problem and the solution here - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/talktalk/f/4566226-...

What solution?

My mistake that should have been reason not solution.

It doesn't help the members with problems getting back in but at least they now know what is causing it (the Emails)

Edit to add - Looks like there is now a solution.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Wed 11-Oct-17 16:53:15)

Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Wed 11-Oct-17 16:51:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
What's the worst that could happen? smile

Well TalkTalk could change their minds about progressing that particular solution.

Wouldn't want to disseminate false information - so I'll wait until it becomes official.

Edited by eebdsirhc (Wed 11-Oct-17 16:55:22)

Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Thu 12-Oct-17 08:09:08
Print Post

Thanks for your continued interest in my difficulties BatBoy. At the time of posting, the situation remains pretty-much the same as I described previously.

Step 1: If I attempt to sign in with the [alleged] user name RichardSavage - as yet I have been unable to verify it - I receive the following user name / password combination error message:

‘That login name and password combination do not match any valid user on this community.’

Step 2: Based on an assurance that the user name is correct - despite the multiple changes that it has undergone - I must assume that it is the password which is incorrect, so I opt for a password reset.

Step 3: The most recent ‘Reset your password …. ‘ e.mails - the count is presently 14 - to arrive were yesterday, 11/10/2017, late afternoon. One is dated 09/10/2017, 13:40, and the other, which arrived shortly BEFORE it, is dated 10/10/2017, 14:03, all of which have timed-out.

Step 4: Return to step one, and imitate the action of the Ouzelum bird!

I am presently aware of 4 threads running on the theme of the existing user name unacceptable space, and the ineffective password reset e.mail arrangement - Including mine, which Chippy_Tea_ thoughtfully posted on my behalf, but which has been ineffective - which have stalled, and are awaiting a response from management, but I refute the underlying reason is in any way due to my personal inadequacies as suggested.

That said, there is also some good news……… sort of, Quote:

‘Unfortunately there is an issue with password link emails and similar being delayed at the moment. Once this is resolved there is no reason why you should not be able to resurrect your old username, spaces and all.’

ferguson [Community Star] ~ TalkTalk Community management ~ 11 October 2017 / Time unavailable

However, I am not aware of any evidence that, Quote: ‘ ……… a permanent solution to this issue has now been implemented.’

eebdsirhc
Wed 11-Oct-17 16:45:07

~R.

Edited by Rycharde (Thu 12-Oct-17 08:11:17)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 12-Oct-17 08:18:50
Print Post

Thanks for the update
Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Thu 12-Oct-17 11:45:11
Print Post

Rycharde-

In response to your latest post.

There is no "[alleged] RichardSavage" user name, the name is there and plainly visible for everyone to see. Your 1000+ post are all listed, as several people have pointed out. This name was personally created for you by the Community Manager, StephenF, in response to the "invalid name" issue being raised on the forums on your behalf.

The subsequent delayed email notifications appears to be an unfortunate coincidence.

I have never suggested any "personal inadequacies", that is your unfounded interpretation. I suggested you may be doing something different to other users - but that thought train was in relation to your disappearing avatars points, a potentially different issue. Mixing the issues doesn't really help. And note - I referenced the management of those avatars not the creation method.

If you have identified multiple people having problems with "disappearing" avatars could you please list their names so that the problem can be investigated.

There may be 4 threads running on the TT forums, but that is not 4 different users (as you must be aware), Radioactiveman has multiple threads. He appears to have resolved his issues - actually by doing the very thing that BatBoy suggested you try way back on page 1 of this thread.

As has already been pointed out, the issue with password reset emails is a known issue, and has been acknowledged by Lithium (temporary capacity issue on their email servers). Which they have obviously undertaken to resolve as soon as possible and hopefully that will be today (but just a guesstimate, not an official statement).

TalkTalk have not published their forward plans in the area of user id naming conventions, so no reason that you would know. But anyone trying to register a new user id would be able to discover the "new" user name rules quite easily.

You could even try the name "Richard Savage" if you wanted !

Try BatBoy's original suggestion, you could find it helpful !

Edited by eebdsirhc (Thu 12-Oct-17 11:49:52)

Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Fri 13-Oct-17 07:08:53
Print Post

Register as a new user, try Richard Savage; why on earth would I wish to do that, when since the 23 September 2017, I have been pressurised, without foundation, to use Richard_Savage, or RichardSavage, or RichardSavage111, or other variants ......... and on Friday the 13!

~R.
(member) Fri 13-Oct-17 15:45:38
Print Post

As has already been pointed out, the issue with password reset emails is a known issue, and has been acknowledged by Lithium (temporary capacity issue on their email servers). Which they have obviously undertaken to resolve as soon as possible and hopefully that will be today (but just a guesstimate, not an official statement).

OCE_Ady Community Team

2 hours ago

Re: NOT A NEW MEMBER! EX RADIO ACTIVE MAN NOW RADIOACTIVEMAN

Hi all, we're sorry for any and all problems this is causing. We're working with Lithium to get this sorted as soon as possible.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Fri 13-Oct-17 15:46:05)

Standard User Rycharde
(newbie) Sat 14-Oct-17 08:22:26
Print Post

TalkTalk have not published their forward plans in the area of user id naming conventions, so no reason that you would know. But anyone trying to register a new user id would be able to discover the "new" user name rules quite easily.

….. and here they are, at Saturday 14 October 2017 ~ 08:22:11

Registration

Login name * (i) This is the name you'll be known as in the community.

Your login name must be at least two characters long. You can use letters, numbers, dashes and underscores.

| Login name field _______________________ |

[Entry field Error!] Contains one or more invalid characters. This field can contain letters, numbers, and special characters, such as dashes or underscores. Spaces are not permitted.

There is no further information specifying what is, or is not, regarded as a special character, but quite clearly, spaces are not permitted!

~R.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/ > Join us > Registration

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/user/userloginpage > Register Now

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/user/userregistr... > Registration

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/forums/recentpos... > Register

> Google > ‘talktalk community register’ > Registration - TalkTalk Community > Registration

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/custom/page/page... > Register

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AudV8F185o6Aulo1x9FzXjsxW4GB

https://screenshots.firefox.com/kJa4mtrqG94lx408/com...

Edited by Rycharde (Sat 14-Oct-17 17:16:49)

Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Sat 14-Oct-17 09:53:35
Print Post

Well that is strange.

Not sure where you are trying to register, but user names have to be a minimum of 5 characters, and that rule has been in place since 2014. And I have just managed to register and create a profile as a new user :-

https://screenshots.firefox.com/LAn9lQLl81bdM1b1/com...

User Rycharde S - registered today, with a space in the name.

Made a test post :-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/General-Technolo...

and even got a first post badge.

EDIT - You may also be interested to know that "Tintern Jason" (mentioned higher up in this thread) has also regained access to the forums - with a space in his forum name.

Edited by eebdsirhc (Sat 14-Oct-17 14:07:12)

Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Sat 14-Oct-17 16:50:04
Print Post

And what happens if you actually try to register a new user with the name "Richard Savage" ?

Edited by eebdsirhc (Sat 14-Oct-17 17:43:33)

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Oct-17 10:00:09
Print Post

But if the rule is that " no spaces are allowed " then all very strange!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Sun 15-Oct-17 10:38:57
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:

No not really, if you read all the posts from the last few days.

The rule was quite recently changed to "no spaces", but that caused some unexpected errors which the TT development team had not predicted. On Thursday/Friday, as previously mentioned, that policy was reversed and the old (with spaces) policy implemented, as has already been highlighted on this thread.

This change of policy was obviously done as an emergency measure at very short notice, it would appear that someone failed to update the error message.

No one on this thread (since notice of the policy reversal was given) has suggested that a "normal" user name, with or without spaces has been rejected. In fact all the evidence published proves that spaces are now acceptable. Every other user on the TT forums who reported this issue has successfully re-joined the forums.

A TalkTalk customer forum moderator (myself) has pointed out this reversal of rule and suggested a very simple test if anyone is in doubt regarding this change of policy.

Spaces are again allowed, you only have to make a very minimal effort to test this.

Once anyone is successfully registered on the forums (with any valid name) they can then contact the forum OCEs directly and have their user ids changed to any acceptable user name they want (with or without spaces) and can also raise the issue of error messages being incorrect.

Just try ..................... you don't need to be a TT customer to join the TT forums.

Edited by eebdsirhc (Sun 15-Oct-17 10:59:18)

Standard User Myth
(committed) Sun 15-Oct-17 11:09:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadband66:

Just try ..................... you don't need to be a TT customer to join the TT forums.

"Hello Spacey McSpaceface, thanks for joining the community"

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Standard User eebdsirhc
(committed) Sun 15-Oct-17 11:38:38
Print Post

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

And there you go ................

Welcome to the TT forums Spacey McSpaceface.

Look forward to your (technical or otherwise) contributions to our forums.

Edited by eebdsirhc (Sun 15-Oct-17 11:39:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to