User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User richi
(regular) Fri 10-Nov-17 14:49:27
Print Post

Is TT Retail congested? (ADSL2+)

[link to this post]

A couple of years ago, I avoided switching to TT because I was told the ADSL2+ retail service was congested (i.e., slow at peak times). Now I'm looking to switch again, so...

How is the service these days? Peak-time slowdowns, or not?

Edit: I can't get FTTC.

3 km line on THTG: 18/1.2 Mb/s with Sky
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8

Edited by richi (Fri 10-Nov-17 20:16:06)

Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Fri 10-Nov-17 20:00:53
Print Post

Re: Is TT Retail congested? (ADSL2+)

[re: richi] [link to this post]

I Have been a talk talk ADSL customer for many years and have never noticed any slow down, i got a steady 12 Mbps but recently moved to faster fibre as my family do a lot of youtube and catch-up so at times it was a bit slow.

If you can get FTTC the extra is worth it.
Standard User richi
(regular) Fri 10-Nov-17 20:42:11
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

Yeah, but I can't get FTTC. Thanks, though. Do I understand you right that you didn't see peak-time slowdowns on ADSL2+?

3 km line on THTG: 18/1.2 Mb/s with Sky
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Fri 10-Nov-17 20:49:10
Print Post

I didn't monitor my speeds daily but did test maybe once twice a weekend i can honestly say when i did test the speeds were always the same around 12 Mbps.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Nov-17 20:54:45
Print Post

I had talktalk for a few years on fibre max (80 meg), and ADSL2+ before.

Never had a single slowdown or any downtime. Speeds always max even during holidays such as Christmas, no throttling of any traffic eg peer to peer (donít use anymore anyway).
Standard User Roger_W
(newbie) Fri 10-Nov-17 22:19:50
Print Post

I have been with TT for nearly 3 years after being thrown out by Virgin.net. Virgin on ADSL2 started around 15meg in the morning,faded after 4 and bimbled along about 3 till midnight. TT hardly varies. 15 meg down, 0.6 up, 24/7. Thought about fibre which is in the street but no capacity available! But with 3 pc's running and regular TV streaming, I have no problems and no complaints, and it's still cheaper than Virgin 3 years ago, with phone, TV and BB package. Ironically Virgin are installing cable past the door. I won't be joining.(Bath Area)

Roger W.
Standard User vitrocmax
(learned) Fri 10-Nov-17 22:52:52
Print Post

My SamKnows box shows a flat line at 13.2Mbps, save for the occasional blip but it's never any slower at peak times.

Not had any issues in the last 4 years with TT, only a slip up with the router trial when they sent me a new HG633 instead of the D-Link they should have sent.

The YouView box works well, I'm on a good long term offer and would not consider changing from them based on current experience.
Standard User tthom
(committed) Sat 11-Nov-17 09:11:21
Print Post

Varies massively on the exchange.. I had talktalk fiber and only got 3 meg during peak times but my mate who's on a different exchange has no issues.. So it's potluck

Broadband Providers Aoll/O2/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE/BT infinity/Talktalk/BT Infinity 60/11 Sync
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]
(committed) Sat 11-Nov-17 13:28:07
Print Post

[re: tthom] [link to this post]

This must be a first a TT thread where no one yet has said "Don't touch them with a barge-pole they are [censored]"
Standard User tthom
(committed) Sat 11-Nov-17 13:29:06
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

Well don't touch them with a poo covered stick lol

Broadband Providers Aoll/O2/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE/BT infinity/Talktalk/BT Infinity 60/11 Sync
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]
Standard User Mml
(regular) Sat 11-Nov-17 17:42:37
Print Post

I'd say TT performance varies exchange to exchange. In my old house I lived in the same street as exchange and had solid 20 MBps on ADSL, no slowdowns or anything. Whereas in my new house exchange is far, ADSL speed is 2.4 MBps max, and TalkTalk can't even reach that - there's a big discrepancy between attainable speed and actual sync speed, and their support assure this is how it should be (but wasn't on a BT line!). For that reason, I won't recommend TT.

Edited by Mml (Sat 11-Nov-17 17:43:01)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Nov-17 20:45:12
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

At 2.4mbps itís easy to lose a lot of speed by something minor happening elsewhere eg having a smart tv connected thatís downloading some app updates, or a windows machine thatís background windows updates
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 12-Nov-17 09:16:03
Print Post

Is the exchange unbundled by TT though? That makes a massive difference.

Iíve had 60/20 TT FTTC since September and get full line speed with stable pings 24/7. Canít fault TalkTalk at all, but when you dig down and research their core network, it all makes sense!

-

TalkTalk FTTC
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 12-Nov-17 09:27:53
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wolvesmad:
Is the exchange unbundled by TT though? That makes a massive difference.

Iíve had 60/20 TT FTTC since September and get full line speed with stable pings 24/7. Canít fault TalkTalk at all, but when you dig down and research their core network, it all makes sense!

+1

Was on both TT residential & TT Business from 2010 to June 2017 (on adsl2+ & vdsl2) and always got line speeds 24/7 with great pings. Never experienced slowdowns at peak times. Only left them d/t getting a FoD line installed.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 12-Nov-17 09:28:42)

Standard User Mml
(regular) Mon 13-Nov-17 08:47:50
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
itís easy to lose a lot of speed by something minor happening elsewhere eg having a smart tv connected thatís downloading

Just to clear up any misunderstanding. When I say "actual speed" I don't mean the speed I get on my end devices. I mean the sync speed that I can see in router statistics, along with "attainable speed" which I imagine is the max speed my line could achieve.
So in my case, attainable speed on TT line is around 1730. Sync speed is either 512 or 768 (suspiciously well rounded). TT support copypaste their standard message about speed depending on a number of factors, and insist 768 is what I should be getting, and can't explain what I should do to get the full 1700.
While on BT, the same line was capable of speeds between 2400 and 2600.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Nov-17 09:46:00
Print Post

What is your noise margin sitting at?
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Nov-17 19:57:19
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
At 2.4mbps itís easy to lose a lot of speed by something minor happening elsewhere eg having a smart tv connected thatís downloading some app updates, or a windows machine thatís background windows updates

I moved from BT Infinity to Plusnet and lost 6mbps of sync, god knows how. Can't wait to move back!
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Nov-17 21:10:51
Print Post

I would avoid TT at any exchange where they do not have an LLU operation. I had a Post Office service at Market A exchange. The service was useless in the evening because the PO use Talk Talk backhaul arrangements.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to