User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Naveen
(newbie) Wed 21-Feb-18 11:07:11
Print Post

Should I join TalkTalk fibre?

[link to this post]

Hi

I'm currently with Origin ADSL and though it was cheap and support is very good service levels have been poor, only improving with a complaint and still hit and miss. I am looking to move to cheap Fibre and according to
https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com
TalkTalk is the cheapest at just over £19 a month for 12 months including a current £75 cashback offer, which ends tomorrow.
I need a change. Any reasons not to choose this? Other than my mum being on their ADSL product and it generally being shockingly slow that is!
I was also considering:
PlusNet - BT now, great service, should be good speeds, little pricey for me
Vodaphone - cheap as chips too, some issues apparently with supplied router and single thread downloads as of the evenings. Apparently shocking CS.
EE - Bit expensive now offers over (?) but I wouldn't mind the extra 5gb mobile a month (but likely would hardly use it)
Sky / Now TV - Bit expensive, 18 month contract.

So - should I choose TalkTalk for their Fibre product? I understand the router is useless but I don't mind getting a 3rd party one (the 835 is it?). I am worried about - peak contention - traffic shaping - blocking ports - single thread download speed - ping - anything you would be worried about smile

Thanks for the advice folks I have to make up my mind soon.
PS what's the £75 offer sent as? Coupon? Amazon? errr.
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Wed 21-Feb-18 16:48:26
Print Post

Re: Should I join TalkTalk fibre?

[re: Naveen] [link to this post]

This is a post i made in another thread a few days ago and would be happy to recommend TalkTalk, the HG633 is a bit poor but the newer D-Link (the one i have) is fine i assume all new customer will now get a D-Link router but if you get a HG633 and its not up to the job they are usually happy to give you a D-Link to test if you request one in the TT community forum.

So - should I choose TalkTalk for their Fibre product?

If you are happy to pay the extra go for it as it says below my speeds are fine and rock solid.
I understand the router is useless but I don't mind getting a 3rd party one (the 835 is it?).

Answered above.
I am worried about - peak contention - traffic shaping - blocking ports - single thread download speed - ping - anything you would be worried about

I do a speed test every night and can honestly say other than when i had the master socket problem below i have had no noticeable speed reductions or any other issue.

I have the TalkTalk FTTC capped package (i think its capped at 38 Mbps) and have the TT D-Link router mentioned earlier in the thread, my speeds are rock solid and the only problem i have had since my switch was a very old and corroded master socket slowing my speeds which was changed for the newer type shortly after an online chat with TT customer service, i find on line chat the best method as you can take screen shots of the conversation.

I have been a TT customer many years and would recommend them even though phone support has a bad reputation (the reason i use online chat if i need to contact them)

Edit to add - To be fair i recently cancelled my TT Mobile contract and moved to O2 as TT are no longer providing a mobile service i did this by phone and the people i dealt with on a couple of separate calls were very helpful so not all call centre staff are a waste of space as some customers would have you believe.

Speed test taken a few minutes ago - https://s14.postimg.org/ew228x0u9/ggggggggg.jpg

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Wed 21-Feb-18 16:56:33)

Standard User Sir_Jasper
(regular) Wed 21-Feb-18 19:08:21
Print Post

Re: Should I join TalkTalk fibre? *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron

Edited by Sir_Jasper (Wed 21-Feb-18 21:20:07)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User roscoe7942
(newbie) Wed 21-Feb-18 20:47:44
Print Post

I upgraded to FTTC about 12 months ago and my speed has actually increased from 26mbps over time and the speed tester now shows 34mbps so I am quite happy with TT
Standard User tthom
(committed) Wed 21-Feb-18 20:52:25
Print Post

Talktalk are hit and miss.. A friend of mine has 0 issues but I only lasted a month with them fiber upto 60 went down to 3meg most evenings

Broadband Providers Aoll/O2/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE/BT infinity/Talktalk/BT Infinity 60/11 Sync
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]
Standard User Naveen
(newbie) Wed 21-Feb-18 23:12:18
Print Post

[re: Sir_Jasper] [link to this post]

Thanks that's certainly on the face of it a better deal! I may well go for it but the same questions apply to BT (and I'm not likely to post in their forum now - tbh)

Speed? Contention? One thread speed? Latency? Support? Throttling? Port blocking?

If anyone could comment as to this for this particular BT product I would be VERY grateful. Yes I should probably find their forum but as this offer expires in 25 hours - meh!
Standard User Sir_Jasper
(regular) Thu 22-Feb-18 13:43:59
Print Post

Post deleted by MrSaffron

Edited by Sir_Jasper (Thu 22-Feb-18 13:59:21)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Feb-18 14:21:31
Print Post

[re: Sir_Jasper] [link to this post]

When people appear out of the blue posting affiliate links it gets called spam

Also impolite posting affiliate links from another site, when the site you are on has its own and this helps us keep providing all the free coverage and speed information we do.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/jump?type=5&url=https...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to