User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User paul_liverpoolfc
(regular) Thu 21-Jun-18 20:56:30
Print Post

Speed has dropped dramatically in last week

[link to this post]

In the last week, my speed has dropped in steps from the constant 5 Meg it was at for about 2 years to half of that. My router used to sync at 5000-5500kbps constantly.

Talk Talk told me that 'our automatic line management system (DLM) changed your profile, looks to be because the error count was high. It has now moved you back to a faster profile but not to the 5Mbps profile that you were on previously'.

They then said that "DLM is reducing your connection speed due to high error count on faster profiles".

What do they mean by a high error count?

Is it because my Billion 7800N router is over 5 years old now and wearing out or have Talk Talk made a mistake their end?

My modem stats:

DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode ADSL2+
Upstream 1019
Downstream 2043
SNR Margin(Upstream) 6.3
SNR Margin(Downstream) 7.3
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 26.8
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 49.0

Thanks

Paul

GPRS > 3G > HSDPA > ADSL > ADSL Max > ADSL2+ > FTTC in next few weeks > FTTP next decade?

Edited by paul_liverpoolfc (Thu 21-Jun-18 20:59:14)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Jun-18 21:00:23
Print Post

Re: Speed has dropped dramatically in last week

[re: paul_liverpoolfc] [link to this post]

Router unless baked in the sun all day everyday should be fine

Do you happen to have any idea of what all the stats were when you had a 5 Meg download sync speed

If the 7800 is not showing you error counters then you have to trust TalkTalk, they do have a tendency to favour stability over maximum speed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User paul_liverpoolfc
(regular) Thu 21-Jun-18 21:09:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The SNR margin used to be 6-6.5 and the line attenuation 49-49.5. The upload speed hasn't changed.

The WAN status page for my Billion 7800N isn't showing any errors for 'received' or 'transmitted'.

Regarding the stability, I remember my modem staying up for something like 200 days in a row earlier in the year - the reliability has been excellent up to now.

GPRS > 3G > HSDPA > ADSL > ADSL Max > ADSL2+ > FTTC in next few weeks > FTTP next decade?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Jun-18 21:43:36
Print Post

[re: paul_liverpoolfc] [link to this post]

So has modem been dropping out more recently? If yes then that would be the errors - maybe a different ADSL2+ modem might help but to see benefit will probably need the dlm reset

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to