User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User iefbr14
(newbie) Tue 03-Jul-18 18:32:10
Print Post

TalkTalk's Wifi Hub.

[link to this post]

Are there any TalkTalk users on the forum who have recently upgraded from HG635 or HG633 "super routers" to the new Sagemcon wifi hub ?

I have just gone from HG635 to wifi hub and my max downstream has dropped by nearly 30%. Throughput has had a similar decrease.

Anyone else seeing a performance hit (or otherwise).
Standard User vitrocmax
(learned) Tue 03-Jul-18 23:36:21
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk's Wifi Hub.

[re: iefbr14] [link to this post]

I saw your first question, and thought I could answer with a 'yes, I have' because I have a trail of TalkTalk routers from the HG533, 635 and 633 to the new FAST5364 (I missed out on the D-Link!).

Then I read your reason behind the question. I got mine because I swapped from ADSL to fibre so I've seen a big increase in speed. However, on ADSL there was a 5% increase in speed compared to the HG633 for the 3 days it was connected before the fibre went live, although none of the TalkTalk routers were as fast as my Billion 7800DXL with a SNR tweak.

However, I get 37Mbps on the Sagemcom so I don't think I'll see much change if I swap them - I can do that now my 10 day learning period is over.

One thing I don't like about the new hub is the firmware - have you tried reading the log? Mine's at 239 pages and it can't be saved or clear itself out like the Huawei (if it can I haven't found a way to do it).

I have a SamKnows box and if I look at my history the time the Billion was in use is noticeable.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jul-18 11:57:41
Print Post

[re: vitrocmax] [link to this post]

" I can do that now my 10 day learning period is over. "

Didn't think there was such a thing !

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iefbr14
(newbie) Wed 04-Jul-18 14:59:51
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

The 10 day training period is applicable to ADSL lines. VDSL tend to start as fast as it can, then move downwards if there are any stability issues, with DLM always lurking in the background.

I have been on TT fibre now for about 3 years.

With an HG635 my max. downstream was around 49 Mbps.

With an HG633 my max. download varied a bit. It was about 50 Mbps if it correctly recognised the availability of vectoring at my local cabinet, which it did with V1.21.1t firmware. For some reason V2.00t failed to recognise vectoring and my max. dropped to 43 Mbps.

With the new Sagemcom router I am getting 35 Mbps. A very significant drop from my old HG635 days.

Re-installing an old HG router recovers my performance levels.

So, IMO at least, something not quite right.

Edited by iefbr14 (Wed 04-Jul-18 22:18:46)

Standard User vitrocmax
(learned) Thu 05-Jul-18 21:50:53
Print Post

I was following the letter from TalkTalk, they said to connect it all up and leave it alone for at least 10 days for BT's (Openreach?) DLM to work..

I noticed the Hub restarted every day at about the same time as the first connection, and the speeds altered daily, increasing small amounts at a time (particularly upload, started at 6.8, rose to 8.4 then backed off to 7.2) and has stayed there since the daily reboots stopped after 9 days.

Hence my comment about 10 days. My download is 40.0 according to the router, connecting at 44556 with a noise margin of 0.0dB, actual throughput is 37.4Mbps

I'll swap it for the HG635 when I have time.

I also have HG633 with (I think) V1.15t as well as one with 2.00t - it'll take a while but could be worth a look just to see if speeds go up. I must say the Sagemcom firmware is not particularly good, in my opinion.
Standard User vitrocmax
(learned) Wed 11-Jul-18 00:06:05
Print Post

I swapped the WiFi Hub for my HG635 last Saturday (7th), and since then the connection/performance is almost exactly the same.

The max d/s is 47Mbps, it's connected at 40Mbps and I'm getting a steady 37.4Mbps according to the Whitebox.

Noise Margin is around 8.5. So in reality, my stats from both devices are near enough the same.

BTW, BT's Broadband Availability Checker still has a note below the speed chart - 'on all ADSL and WBC fibre to the cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage' - so even BT are perpetuating the 'training' myth. I have seen other posts on this forum in the last couple of days that also refer to the 10 days, so it's not just me that's got it wrong

I will try the HG633 (probably the one with V2.00t firmware) later in the week and see how it performs and what the interleaving is - the HG635 always reports it as off. At least the Huawei routers show interleaving - the new hub doesn't.
Standard User iefbr14
(newbie) Wed 11-Jul-18 10:56:07
Print Post

[re: vitrocmax] [link to this post]

I've just arranged to return my wifi hub to TT, and they have agreed a refund (with no arguments). On my line at least it doesn't perform anywhere near as well as my older HG633 and HG635 (and I tried 2 different wifi hubs).

Back to my HG633.

p.s. I agree there does seem to be much confusion regarding "training periods" particularly on fibre. I've seen quite a few lines go down in the first day or so. I have never seen any come back up. Could be just theory against practice.

But anyway - a heads up people - the new TT wifi hub may be suffering from excessive marketing department exuberance.
Standard User mbames
(member) Sat 14-Jul-18 18:59:21
Print Post

There is a thread about a similar throughput capping issue in the AAISP group - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/aaisp/f/4595383-new...

Vodafone Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Sun 15-Jul-18 12:19:14
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mbames:
There is a thread about a similar throughput capping issue in the AAISP group - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/aaisp/f/4595383-new...

Not Found
The requested URL /aaisp/f/4595383-new-tt-network-speed-fix.html. was not found on this server.
Standard User TheInstaller
(newbie) Sun 15-Jul-18 12:38:09
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:
In reply to a post by mbames:

Not Found
The requested URL /aaisp/f/4595383-new-tt-network-speed-fix.html. was not found on this server.

Remove the fullstop on the end of the link after html, works ok then
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to