User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jamesgooner
(experienced) Sun 02-Sep-18 18:01:01
Print Post

Faster Fibre with Speed Boost £22.45 with Uswitch

[link to this post]

Evening All.
Quick question is above deal any good, as for the price i like idea of a bit more speed, but want reliability as well, i know Talk Talk were bad years ago have they improved. i'm with Now TV Fab Fibre at the moment with TV paying £29.99, on a monthly contract, i want extra speed as think it will be better for online gaming, Netflix, & general browsing.

Edited by jamesgooner (Sun 02-Sep-18 18:02:40)

Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Sun 02-Sep-18 18:13:44
Print Post

Re: Faster Fibre with Speed Boost £22.45 with Uswitch

[re: jamesgooner] [link to this post]

I am on the faster fibre (capped at 38 Mbps) package and am more than happy with it, i use the internet a lot the wife often uses catch up TV and my Son lives on youtube and it works perfectly, i would say go for it.

Edit to add - i am not sure wheat the "Speed Boost" in your title is and as far as i know i do not have it.

View my TBB speed test - https://s33.postimg.cc/55a0q9evz/ffffffff.jpg

Compare your speeds using the same test (you do not need to imput your post code if you do not want to double click "run Test") - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sun 02-Sep-18 18:18:03)

(committed) Sun 02-Sep-18 18:24:02
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

Edit to add - i am not sure wheat the "Speed Boost" in your title is and as far as i know i do not have it.

I had a quick search and i now know i do not have it so if i am getting 35 Mbps on my 38 max package i would imagine you should expect this at the very least on your boosted package, let us know how you get on.

I called TalkTalk quite a few times yesterday regarding renewing my contract and adding the fibre speed boost to my package so that i can increase my speed form 38mbps to 76mbps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Sun 02-Sep-18 19:28:29
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

Hello, Thanks for your reply, the speed boost i'm talking about is Talk Talks up to 76mbps package.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Sep-18 21:50:16
Print Post

The boost package is only worth bothering with if your modem is already connecting on the slower VDSL2 package at 39999 Kbps (40 Mbps), i.e. the boost is just removing an artificial cap on the speeds.

NOTE: For web browsing not likely to make a difference, for video unless you are into live 4K streaming no difference either, unless you need to support a number of streams at the same time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(experienced) Sun 02-Sep-18 22:00:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, i will only stream Netflix in 4K, plus use speed foe Now Tv, Tv & online gaming, so do you think i should stick with what i have, only reason was thinking of moving to TT was that the package i mention is a lot faster than what i have plus a little cheaper.
Standard User iefbr14
(newbie) Mon 03-Sep-18 09:17:42
Print Post

Have you checked that your line will support the extra speed - fibre performance is limited by the distance from your street cabinet ?

If you are only getting 35 Mbps now it could be that that is the fastest your line is capable of, depending where you measured that 35 Mbps, with a speed test or the sync speed from your router (or were those Chippy_Tea_'s figures ?).

Also, I don't think TalkTalk support 4K - you need to ask them that question for qualification.

Edited by iefbr14 (Mon 03-Sep-18 09:20:33)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Sep-18 12:54:40
Print Post

[re: iefbr14] [link to this post]

"Also, I don't think TalkTalk support 4K"

Not sure what you mean?

Supporting 4K is not something an ISP would need to do, whether 4K works of not for Netflix apps is down to the speed of the connection.

If referring to the TalkTalk TV settop boxes, then you are probably correct since their set top box is not 4K capable I believe, but if someone has their own 4K capable streaming device so long as the download speeds tick the box it should work.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(experienced) Mon 03-Sep-18 19:47:14
Print Post

[re: iefbr14] [link to this post]

Evening placed my order this morning,here is we had TT said I should get.

Your order
Your estimated broadband speeds
Minimum Guaranteed speed

52Mb

Download speed

58Mb to 80Mb

Upload speed

19Mb

Contract length

18 months

Your Estimated Go Live Date
Faster Fibre

17th Sep 2018
(committed) Mon 03-Sep-18 20:14:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by jamesgooner:
Evening placed my order this morning,here is we had TT said I should get.

Your order
Your estimated broadband speeds
Minimum Guaranteed speed

52Mb

Download speed

58Mb to 80Mb

Upload speed

19Mb

Contract length

18 months

Your Estimated Go Live Date
Faster Fibre