User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Nov-18 22:02:32
Print Post

TalkTalk Congestion?

[link to this post]

Is anyone using, or in a position to talk about, congestion on TalkTalk Business? On a 37Mb TalkTalk residential connection I'm seeing around a 5Mb drop in the evening - and maybe I'm not that surprised as TalkTalk residential is pile 'em high sell 'em cheap. If I moved the connection to TalkTalk Business am I moving to a less congested network that will run at maximum speed? Thanks in advance.
Standard User iefbr14
(learned) Tue 13-Nov-18 22:26:54
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk Congestion?

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

37 Mbps obviously implies a fibre service. All fibre infrastructure and performance is managed by BT Open Reach and their automated DLM system. TT have very little say in this (they can select a global default policy, but that is about it).

Moving from TT Residential to TT Business would therefore not strictly constitute a change of physical supplier.

If the congestion is a local issue then it could effect all service providers via your exchange or local cabinet. Are any of your neighbours experiencing the same problem ?

If your downstream speed is below the expected range as documented in your fibre contract then TT should investigate, and escalate to BTOR if necessary.

However if you are within the predicted range then TT will not take any action and will not escalate to BTOR.

Iefbr14
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Nov-18 22:34:11
Print Post

[re: iefbr14] [link to this post]

Of course if the issue is poor throughput due to backhaul network congestion referring to Openreach will achieve nothing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Nov-18 22:55:05
Print Post

TalkTalk has its own backhaul and TT business and TT residential are not the same thing - TT business is resold by many suppliers.
Standard User iefbr14
(learned) Tue 13-Nov-18 23:18:45
Print Post

Are you sure that old ADSL backhaul arrangement equally applies to fibre installations ?

TT Residential and TT Business are still two parts of the same group of companies - despite TalkTalk's abortive attempts to selling off the Business unit. That is not effected by any reseller arrangements which is highly unlikely to effect any physical infrastructure and therefore end user performance.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Nov-18 02:19:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
TalkTalk has its own backhaul and TT business and TT residential are not the same thing - TT business is resold by many suppliers.

AAFAIK TTB lines (direct with TTB, no idea about resellers) get priority over TTR traffic at the exchange at busy times so you may see an improvement if you went over to TTB. Was on TTB (adsl & vdsl) as a direct customer for a few years and never saw any peak time slow downs.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Nov-18 09:33:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by iefbr14:
Are you sure that old ADSL backhaul arrangement equally applies to fibre installations ?

TT use their own backhaul for FTTC. They purchase a ports in the Openreach headend and connect them directly to their own infrastructure much as BT Wholesale, Vodafone, et al, do. The only difference between this and the TalkTalk ADSL product is that TT ADSL has backhaul from every exchange, FTTC headends live in fewer exchanges.

----
Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User iefbr14
(learned) Wed 14-Nov-18 09:46:33
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

OK cheers Ignitionnet - live and learn.

Moving to TTB would (unless things have changed recently) at least get you an HG635 router, still the best one TT (Residential) has used in many a year (IMO).

I've tried all their super routers over the last year or so (including the new wi-fi hub) and nothing has come anywhere near the HG635 (mine unfortunately died of old age).
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Nov-18 11:09:01
Print Post

So Andrews and Arnold use TTB and report on any congestion their telemetry indicates. Should be better than TTR.

----
Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Nov-18 16:04:26
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Im with Pulse8 who are a TT reseller. I get propriety over TTR, not sure if it applies to all resellers though
  Print Thread

Jump to