User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User richi
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 14:53:10
Print Post

Beware: Stealth £4/month charge from February

[link to this post]

I got a deviously-worded letter in the post yesterday, thanking me "for being a valued TalkTalk TV customer." Wait, what?

To cut a long story short, and after speaking to and corresponding with three different departments, it seems like anyone who's paying for phone and broadband only and who happens to have certain YouView boxes at home, will from 4th February be charged £4/month for the privilege—even if they didn't sign up for a service called "TalkTalk TV" and even if their online Account pages currently say they don't have that service enabled.

Yet another incoming PR nightmare, in 3… 2… 1…

3 km line on THTG: 16/1 Mb/s with TalkTalk Retail.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Wed 16-Jan-19 16:18:35
Print Post

Re: Beware: Stealth £4/month charge from February

[re: richi] [link to this post]

Talktalk can't even detect if you have a YouView box connected when you don't have a tv package.

YouView boxes load the guide from YouView servers. They know to load the Talktalk channels simply because you are using a Talktalk IP.

It's also 100% irrelevant what box type you have.

You can sign up for ANY YouView package that comes with the small boxes that don't record and simply connect a better/bigger YouView box and it will record.
All boxes work across all ISP's.

I've no idea how this could possibly be implemented. It can't just be for certain boxes, they are universally interchangeable across any ISP/package.

More seriously though...
YouView boxes can be bought from retailers, and they work the exact same with the Multicast channels. They couldn't charge a penny for using these boxes.

I'm positive you must have picked something up wrong here, or you were a Talktalk TV customer and something has gone wrong at their end.

Can you provide any links within the letter or a picture of the letter, with any personal info removed.

Edited by j0hn83 (Wed 16-Jan-19 16:20:51)

Standard User richi
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 16:33:56
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

After corresponding with a few reps, a "Complaint" was opened in my name. I was told to expect a call from "the CEO office"—almost immediately my phone rang and I spoke to a knowledgeable chap who explained that, because I had an old TT-branded YV box, I was automatically signed up to TTTV.

I explained to him that he's going to be dealing with a tonne more complaints soon, assuming I'm not alone. He said he understood that and would escalate to the team responsible.

But he was clear to me that this is by design. The definite message I took away from our conversation was that TT intend to charge everyone who uses a TT-branded YouView box £4/month. He appeared to be a senior complaint-handling TT rep. He didn't appear to be making it up.

edit: letter below, without PII:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NW8gdz2rqk72AMPJA

Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business.

Edited by richi (Wed 16-Jan-19 16:38:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burble
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 17:09:10
Print Post

Haven't had any correspondence yet, but then I don't use the boxes (was sent two a few years back), here's a thread on TalkTalk about it.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/That...
Standard User richi
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 17:23:59
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

Thanks. I've seen a few threads already, but they all seemed to be from people who had already added TTTV to their account.

This thread and the official OCE responses makes it clear that this sneaky charge for something we didn't ask for is by design. They use the same "opt out" language as the OCE I corresponded with.

"Sharp practice" doesn't begin to describe what is plainly illegal under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 / Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977.

Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Wed 16-Jan-19 17:37:11
Print Post

This is from the TT question and answer page -

Can I keep my TV Boost if I don't pay the TV fee?

Unfortunately, you’ll lose access to any TV Boosts if you decide to leave TalkTalk TV.

If you do decide to leave TalkTalk TV your broadband service or any other Boosts or discounts won't be affected so you can continue enjoying your other services with us.
Standard User richi
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 17:43:44
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

I did not sign up for TalkTalk TV. I don't even know what it is. I certainly don't have any idea what a TV Boost would be.

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Wed 16-Jan-19 18:08:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by richi:
I did not sign up for TalkTalk TV. I don't even know what it is. I certainly don't have any idea what a TV Boost would be.

This is the exact same as taking out a mobile phone contract with 1 carrier and getting a flashy phone as part of the deal.
Then you switch to another mobile operator and they say "ah, but you have an xxx mobile handset so we're charging you more.

Using a Youview box is SFA to do with Talktalk. It's Freeview TV with catch up players.

As you say this would be a PR disaster if they were to charge for using a Youview box without subscribing to any extended features or paying for a lite tv package that simply gives you a free box with no additional channels.
However they cannot just randomly start charging customers who have a Youview box.

Pretty sure that's illegal,not just a PR disaster.

Could you please attach a copy of the letter you were sent.... removing any personal details.

I've just emailed their press contact for a statement.

edit:
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/4-ch...

Edited by j0hn83 (Wed 16-Jan-19 18:09:18)

Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Wed 16-Jan-19 18:09:06
Print Post

I do not have any boosts enabled so assume there will be no charge.

https://i.postimg.cc/qMJNc2mz/tttv.jpg
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Wed 16-Jan-19 18:23:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:
I do not have any boosts enabled so assume there will be no charge.

https://i.postimg.cc/qMJNc2mz/tttv.jpg

Seems you are assuming wrong.

They are indeed introducing a £4 "TV access fee" simply for having the ability to add boosts and internet channels, even if you don't subscribe to these.

You need to opt out.

Absolutely shocking!

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/bd-p...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to