User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ironman12345
(member) Thu 17-Jan-19 17:29:01
Print Post

Re: Beware: Stealth £4/month charge from February

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:
10 minutes on TT live chat and i have opted out, no request to send the box back and my box will work as it did before i opted out, this is not going to do their already tarnished reputation any favours.

https://i.postimg.cc/zD4h87pc/TTTTTTTT.jpg

TT must be really in trouble to resort to what sounds like blackmail to me.
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Thu 17-Jan-19 17:36:26
Print Post

[re: ironman12345] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ironman12345:
10 minutes on TT live chat and i have opted out, no request to send the box back and my box will work as it did before i opted out, this is not going to do their already tarnished reputation any favours.

TT must be really in trouble to resort to what sounds like blackmail to me.

They recently stopped their mobile phone service allowing customers to migrate to other providers with no penalty for remaining months on their contracts, it does seem they are struggling to stay one of the lowest price providers with zero usage limits.

I have read today the £4 fee will allow customers to get a free replacement box should theirs break which if they are using it to access TT services regularly may not seem a bad deal.
Standard User burble
(member) Thu 17-Jan-19 18:24:41
Print Post

They must have given up trying to persuade people to keep it, as I posted earlier, took me 42mins.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Thu 17-Jan-19 18:35:01
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burble:

They must have given up trying to persuade people to keep it, as I posted earlier, took me 42mins.

A massive own goal, i wonder if they will now have second thoughts and pull this stealth charge.

Standard User ironman12345
(member) Thu 17-Jan-19 18:52:32
Print Post

I agree it is fine that they are going to repair or replace the box free of charge , but if they stopped customers migrating for free then the £4 seems too high.?
Standard User richi
(member) Fri 18-Jan-19 11:11:08
Print Post

FAQ / summary

[re: richi] [link to this post]

Below is the best summary I can muster, based on a collection of responses from TT reps, both on- and off-the-record. The bits I've marked in bold are the aspects I feel are unreasonable behaviour by TalkTalk (and arguably illegal):

If you've connected a YouView box to your home network since November 2018, you've silently been deemed to be a "customer" of TalkTalk TV. This fact does not appear in the website Account pages—instead, it says you can "Add TV." This service used to be free, but will cost GBP4/month from February 2019.

If you don't want to be charged, you must opt out. You can do that via chat, the TT forum, and presumably traditional phone/letter.

If you opt out, then you retain access to:
- DVB-T/-T2 ("Freeview"). You can record, watch, pause and rewind live TV.
- Non-TalkTalk player apps on the YouView box, e.g., BBC iPlayer, All 4, Netflix.
- Renting or owning movies via the TalkTalk TV Store.

Opting out removes your access, post-February 4th, to:
- TalkTalk Player (i.e., watching On Demand content from a TV Boost channel in More TV).
- Watching existing TV Boost content.
- Adding TV Boosts

I'm not a TalkTalk spokesman. No warranty expressed nor implied; E&OE. Please let me know if you see any errors or omissions. I'll try to keep this list updated as new info comes to light.

3 km line on THTG: 16/1 Mb/s with TalkTalk Retail.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business.

Edited by richi (Fri 18-Jan-19 13:46:53)

Standard User richi
(member) Fri 18-Jan-19 11:14:11
Print Post

Re: FAQ / summary

Change log:
Jan 18 11:13 am - clarified what "TalkTalk Player" is
Jan 18 12:09 pm - note confusion about existing TV Boosts
Jan 18 01:23 pm - fixed error regarding TV Boosts

Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business.

Edited by richi (Fri 18-Jan-19 13:24:06)

Standard User iefbr14
(learned) Fri 18-Jan-19 11:54:12
Print Post

"If you opt out, then you retain access to:

- Existing TV Boosts (on the YouView box only)."

Are you sure about that ? The information on the TT forums seems to indicate that opting out loses access to TV boosts.

I don't recall that statement being made on the TT forums.
Standard User richi
(member) Fri 18-Jan-19 12:08:24
Print Post

[re: iefbr14] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iefbr14:
Are you sure about that ? The information on the TT forums seems to indicate that opting out loses access to TV boosts.
Great question; thanks. I have conflicting information, so I've asked for confirmation.

Standard User richi
(member) Fri 18-Jan-19 13:26:54
Print Post

[re: iefbr14] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iefbr14:
Karl has clarified. Thanks again for spotting that.

If I'd paid for TV Boost I'd be pretty cheesed off about now!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to