User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User richi
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 14:53:10
Print Post

Beware: Stealth £4/month charge from February

[link to this post]

I got a deviously-worded letter in the post yesterday, thanking me "for being a valued TalkTalk TV customer." Wait, what?

To cut a long story short, and after speaking to and corresponding with three different departments, it seems like anyone who's paying for phone and broadband only and who happens to have certain YouView boxes at home, will from 4th February be charged £4/month for the privilege—even if they didn't sign up for a service called "TalkTalk TV" and even if their online Account pages currently say they don't have that service enabled.

Yet another incoming PR nightmare, in 3… 2… 1…

3 km line on THTG: 16/1 Mb/s with TalkTalk Retail.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Wed 16-Jan-19 16:18:35
Print Post

Re: Beware: Stealth £4/month charge from February

[re: richi] [link to this post]

Talktalk can't even detect if you have a YouView box connected when you don't have a tv package.

YouView boxes load the guide from YouView servers. They know to load the Talktalk channels simply because you are using a Talktalk IP.

It's also 100% irrelevant what box type you have.

You can sign up for ANY YouView package that comes with the small boxes that don't record and simply connect a better/bigger YouView box and it will record.
All boxes work across all ISP's.

I've no idea how this could possibly be implemented. It can't just be for certain boxes, they are universally interchangeable across any ISP/package.

More seriously though...
YouView boxes can be bought from retailers, and they work the exact same with the Multicast channels. They couldn't charge a penny for using these boxes.

I'm positive you must have picked something up wrong here, or you were a Talktalk TV customer and something has gone wrong at their end.

Can you provide any links within the letter or a picture of the letter, with any personal info removed.

Edited by j0hn83 (Wed 16-Jan-19 16:20:51)

Standard User richi
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 16:33:56
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

After corresponding with a few reps, a "Complaint" was opened in my name. I was told to expect a call from "the CEO office"—almost immediately my phone rang and I spoke to a knowledgeable chap who explained that, because I had an old TT-branded YV box, I was automatically signed up to TTTV.

I explained to him that he's going to be dealing with a tonne more complaints soon, assuming I'm not alone. He said he understood that and would escalate to the team responsible.

But he was clear to me that this is by design. The definite message I took away from our conversation was that TT intend to charge everyone who uses a TT-branded YouView box £4/month. He appeared to be a senior complaint-handling TT rep. He didn't appear to be making it up.

edit: letter below, without PII:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NW8gdz2rqk72AMPJA

Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business.

Edited by richi (Wed 16-Jan-19 16:38:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burble
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 17:09:10
Print Post

Haven't had any correspondence yet, but then I don't use the boxes (was sent two a few years back), here's a thread on TalkTalk about it.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/That...
Standard User richi
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 17:23:59
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

Thanks. I've seen a few threads already, but they all seemed to be from people who had already added TTTV to their account.

This thread and the official OCE responses makes it clear that this sneaky charge for something we didn't ask for is by design. They use the same "opt out" language as the OCE I corresponded with.

"Sharp practice" doesn't begin to describe what is plainly illegal under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 / Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977.

Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Wed 16-Jan-19 17:37:11
Print Post

This is from the TT question and answer page -

Can I keep my TV Boost if I don't pay the TV fee?

Unfortunately, you’ll lose access to any TV Boosts if you decide to leave TalkTalk TV.

If you do decide to leave TalkTalk TV your broadband service or any other Boosts or discounts won't be affected so you can continue enjoying your other services with us.
Standard User richi
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 17:43:44
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

I did not sign up for TalkTalk TV. I don't even know what it is. I certainly don't have any idea what a TV Boost would be.

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Wed 16-Jan-19 18:08:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by richi:
I did not sign up for TalkTalk TV. I don't even know what it is. I certainly don't have any idea what a TV Boost would be.

This is the exact same as taking out a mobile phone contract with 1 carrier and getting a flashy phone as part of the deal.
Then you switch to another mobile operator and they say "ah, but you have an xxx mobile handset so we're charging you more.

Using a Youview box is SFA to do with Talktalk. It's Freeview TV with catch up players.

As you say this would be a PR disaster if they were to charge for using a Youview box without subscribing to any extended features or paying for a lite tv package that simply gives you a free box with no additional channels.
However they cannot just randomly start charging customers who have a Youview box.

Pretty sure that's illegal,not just a PR disaster.

Could you please attach a copy of the letter you were sent.... removing any personal details.

I've just emailed their press contact for a statement.

edit:
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/4-ch...

Edited by j0hn83 (Wed 16-Jan-19 18:09:18)

(committed) Wed 16-Jan-19 18:09:06
Print Post

I do not have any boosts enabled so assume there will be no charge.

https://i.postimg.cc/qMJNc2mz/tttv.jpg
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Wed 16-Jan-19 18:23:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:
I do not have any boosts enabled so assume there will be no charge.

https://i.postimg.cc/qMJNc2mz/tttv.jpg

Seems you are assuming wrong.

They are indeed introducing a £4 "TV access fee" simply for having the ability to add boosts and internet channels, even if you don't subscribe to these.

You need to opt out.

Absolutely shocking!

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/bd-p...
(committed) Wed 16-Jan-19 19:00:53
Print Post

Seems you are assuming wrong.

Seems you are right, very underhand i will be contacting them by online chat and opting out as the customer below has done so i also have a copy of transcript saved.

Confusion over £4 increase

I got the email, and thought I wasn’t meant to have any increase in cost for the duration on my contract, turns out this only applies to broadband cost not tv part, thought this was a bit sneaky so contacted customer services. Then found out I could opt out but keep my current tv package. 80 channels, PVR, on demand players. So turns out all good for me but I think it’s a bit underhand charging extra for services that don’t apply to me and putting the onus on me to opt out. And I think saying in the email you are free to opt out of TalkTalk TV at any time suggests you’re going to lose all your tv which isn’t the case. This will no doubt lead to people just sucking up the £4 increase. If anyone cares to disagree I have my customer service chat transcipt.
Standard User richi
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 19:08:03
Print Post

very underhand
Understatement of the century!

Standard User burble
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 19:09:13
Print Post

I have expressed my views of the latest CEO before on this forum, come back Dido, all is forgiven.
(committed) Wed 16-Jan-19 19:10:36
Print Post

It gets worse they are charging you for something you may use in the future they are getting desperate.

Re: £4 TV access fee - Please opt me out

Hi

I can have the Fee removed for you. This actually encompasses all TalkTalk TV Services, with the option of flexible TV Boosts, in addition to TalkTalk on demand content and on the go access via the website and Mobile App. So the Fee does cover quite a few additional TV services.

If you do want the Fee not applied to you in February, I can process this for you, just need to confirm some security details first via a PM.

Thanks

Karl.
Standard User burble
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 20:27:13
Print Post

I've not had any contact from TalkTalk, and I've checked my account and at present it seems I will not be charged, but who knows if they will eventually add it to my account.
(committed) Wed 16-Jan-19 20:37:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by burble:
I've not had any contact from TalkTalk, and I've checked my account and at present it seems I will not be charged, but who knows if they will eventually add it to my account.

Having read several threads in the TT community forum i would say we are all going to be hit with this stealth charge if we do not opt out.

Standard User burble
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 21:36:51
Print Post

Well I decided to go on the forums and add my name to those wanting an opt out, but it seems since I last logged on (a long time ago) there have been some changes and it will no longer accept my 7 digit password, instead it requests a 8 digit password!
Standard User burble
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 22:05:16
Print Post

With this being the third price increase in the 9 months since I resigned to TalkTalk, I vote that Tristia Harrison the latest TalkTalk CEO should get the 'Michael O'Leary award'
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Wed 16-Jan-19 23:52:28
Print Post

Turns out Talktalk don't even care if you still have your YouView box.

If at ANY time during the entire time you've been a Talktalk customer you have taken up their offer of a free YouView box, they have you labelled as a TV customer.
That's even if you have changed package 3 or 4 times and your account has made no mention of TV for years.

Like I said they can't detect you're using a YouView box if you aren't using any of the paid for services. They don't care, you can pay the £4 a month anyway.

When customers email/call/chat and attempt to cancel they are told

With the £4 monthly charge, you’ll continue to receive access to over 80 channels, to On Demand players and the ability to add and remove extra channels when you want to.

um... you what?

I added the bold. That's all the £4 is for.

They do not mention that customers can "opt out" or remove the TV part of their package.
They imply various features on the YouView box will cease to operate which is just plain wrong.
Standard User richi
(member) Thu 17-Jan-19 09:18:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
If at ANY time during the entire time you've been a Talktalk customer you have taken up their offer of a free YouView box, they have you labelled as a TV customer.
However, that doesn't describe me. I migrated to TTR in December (from Plusnet). I have never before been a customer of TTR on this or any other line.

I was once a Pulse8 customer (uses the TalkTalk Business wholesale product). My only possible connection with TalkTalk TV is the awful YV box I bought on eBay years ago.

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Thu 17-Jan-19 10:38:54
Print Post

Is it a Talktalk Huawei YouView box?

Argh! No freaking are they doing this!
Standard User iefbr14
(learned) Thu 17-Jan-19 11:02:32
Print Post

Well another little twist that can be found in the TT Community Forum.

At present if your YouView box is faulty TalkTalk will replace it for free. Going forward they will only replace a faulty unit if you are paying the "access fee".

If you opt out of paying the "access fee" as a lot of people are doing and your box develops a fault then tough.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Thu 17-Jan-19 11:09:53
Print Post

[re: iefbr14] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iefbr14:
Well another little twist that can be found in the TT Community Forum.

At present if your YouView box is faulty TalkTalk will replace it for free. Going forward they will only replace a faulty unit if you are paying the "access fee".

If you opt out of paying the "access fee" as a lot of people are doing and your box develops a fault then tough.

That's not a twist though... They were doing it as a gesture of goodwill.

They have a 12 month warranty on the box that they must replace regardless of the £4 being paid or not.

If they box fails after 12 months they have no obligation..Their T&C's already say any box replaced after 12 months remains the property of Talktalk.
Standard User richi
(member) Thu 17-Jan-19 11:23:29
Print Post

Is it a Talktalk Huawei YouView box?
Mine is, yes. One of the original, ultra-slow boxes. Bought from a private eBay seller 4+ years ago.

Standard User burble
(member) Thu 17-Jan-19 11:31:06
Print Post

Well after 42mins online I've finally managed to make sure I'm opted out of TV services and have made sure I have copy of transcript, this is a story worthy of being on front page to Thinkbroadband.
p.s. I see it's made the front page.
p.p.s Well one thing made me smile, the emailed copy of transcript which was sent from TalkTalk to my TalkTalk webmail went into the spam folder.

Edited by burble (Thu 17-Jan-19 11:41:06)

Standard User iefbr14
(learned) Thu 17-Jan-19 11:46:41
Print Post

OK.

But at what point does "custom and practise" take precedence over T's and C's.

Anyway - I have arranged for no additional charge on my account for the duration of my current contract (another 6 months). They do seem to drop the charge without much objection.

At the moment I am paying £6 per month for the entertainment boost. Theoretically I could be paying £16 for the same programs in a couple of months - don't think that is going to happen.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Thu 17-Jan-19 11:50:31
Print Post

Do you expect them to replace it for free forever?

I think the £4 charge is deplorable, but the box has a 12 month warranty and I'm not aware of a single company that will replace your box after you have left the TV package after the boxes 12 month warranty.

That part of it is perfectly legitimate.

Charging new customers who have never had TV, simply because they own their own YouView box, is not okay.

I await a comment from YouView, who Talktalk part own.
Standard User iefbr14
(learned) Thu 17-Jan-19 11:56:41
Print Post

Do you expect them to replace it for free forever?

I think the answer to that was YES. Note - past tense.

I was under the impression that the TV service was just one part of my overall broadband package charge.

I never asked for it - the Youview box was just sent when I joined TalkTalk (some years ago). So, IMO, they are trying to charge me for something they gave me for "free" - an unsolicited gift ?

Edited by iefbr14 (Thu 17-Jan-19 12:04:37)

Standard User richi
(member) Thu 17-Jan-19 13:54:19
Print Post

OMG it gets worse. Now TTR can't make up their mind whether you need to pay the £4 charge to get "TV Boosts" or not:
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/Coul...

(committed) Thu 17-Jan-19 17:07:39
Print Post

10 minutes on TT live chat and i have opted out, no request to send the box back and my box will work as it did before i opted out, this is not going to do their already tarnished reputation any favours.

https://i.postimg.cc/zD4h87pc/TTTTTTTT.jpg
Standard User ironman12345
(member) Thu 17-Jan-19 17:29:01
Print Post

10 minutes on TT live chat and i have opted out, no request to send the box back and my box will work as it did before i opted out, this is not going to do their already tarnished reputation any favours.

TT must be really in trouble to resort to what sounds like blackmail to me.
(committed) Thu 17-Jan-19 17:36:26
Print Post

[re: ironman12345] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ironman12345:

TT must be really in trouble to resort to what sounds like blackmail to me.

They recently stopped their mobile phone service allowing customers to migrate to other providers with no penalty for remaining months on their contracts, it does seem they are struggling to stay one of the lowest price providers with zero usage limits.

I have read today the £4 fee will allow customers to get a free replacement box should theirs break which if they are using it to access TT services regularly may not seem a bad deal.
Standard User burble
(member) Thu 17-Jan-19 18:24:41
Print Post

They must have given up trying to persuade people to keep it, as I posted earlier, took me 42mins.
(committed) Thu 17-Jan-19 18:35:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by burble:

They must have given up trying to persuade people to keep it, as I posted earlier, took me 42mins.

A massive own goal, i wonder if they will now have second thoughts and pull this stealth charge.

(member) Thu 17-Jan-19 18:52:32
Print Post

I agree it is fine that they are going to repair or replace the box free of charge , but if they stopped customers migrating for free then the £4 seems too high.?
Standard User richi
(member) Fri 18-Jan-19 11:11:08
Print Post

FAQ / summary

Below is the best summary I can muster, based on a collection of responses from TT reps, both on- and off-the-record. The bits I've marked in bold are the aspects I feel are unreasonable behaviour by TalkTalk (and arguably illegal):

If you've connected a YouView box to your home network since November 2018, you've silently been deemed to be a "customer" of TalkTalk TV. This fact does not appear in the website Account pages—instead, it says you can "Add TV." This service used to be free, but will cost GBP4/month from February 2019.

If you don't want to be charged, you must opt out. You can do that via chat, the TT forum, and presumably traditional phone/letter.

If you opt out, then you retain access to:
- DVB-T/-T2 ("Freeview"). You can record, watch, pause and rewind live TV.
- Non-TalkTalk player apps on the YouView box, e.g., BBC iPlayer, All 4, Netflix.
- Renting or owning movies via the TalkTalk TV Store.

Opting out removes your access, post-February 4th, to:
- TalkTalk Player (i.e., watching On Demand content from a TV Boost channel in More TV).
- Watching existing TV Boost content.
- Adding TV Boosts

I'm not a TalkTalk spokesman. No warranty expressed nor implied; E&OE. Please let me know if you see any errors or omissions. I'll try to keep this list updated as new info comes to light.

Edited by richi (Fri 18-Jan-19 13:46:53)

Standard User richi
(member) Fri 18-Jan-19 11:14:11
Print Post

Re: FAQ / summary

Change log:
Jan 18 11:13 am - clarified what "TalkTalk Player" is
Jan 18 12:09 pm - note confusion about existing TV Boosts
Jan 18 01:23 pm - fixed error regarding TV Boosts

Edited by richi (Fri 18-Jan-19 13:24:06)

Standard User iefbr14
(learned) Fri 18-Jan-19 11:54:12
Print Post

"If you opt out, then you retain access to:

- Existing TV Boosts (on the YouView box only)."

Are you sure about that ? The information on the TT forums seems to indicate that opting out loses access to TV boosts.

I don't recall that statement being made on the TT forums.
Standard User richi
(member) Fri 18-Jan-19 12:08:24
Print Post

Are you sure about that ? The information on the TT forums seems to indicate that opting out loses access to TV boosts.
Great question; thanks. I have conflicting information, so I've asked for confirmation.

Standard User richi
(member) Fri 18-Jan-19 13:26:54
Print Post

Karl has clarified. Thanks again for spotting that.

If I'd paid for TV Boost I'd be pretty cheesed off about now!

Standard User richi
(member) Fri 18-Jan-19 13:44:10
Print Post

I can have the Fee removed for you.
Karl.
OCE_Karl would like it known that he meant he can opt you out from the fee, before it comes in in February.

I get the impression that internal communication of this change within TTR has been poor, so we should expect some inconsistent terminology.

(committed) Fri 18-Jan-19 15:24:01
Print Post

Karl has clarified. Thanks again for spotting that.

If I'd paid for TV Boost I'd be pretty cheesed off about now!

The person at TalkTalk towers who came up with this one and all that allowed it to happen haven't done the company any favours they already have a bad reputation this will just add to it and that's coming from a happy customer of more than 10 years, they really should have thought it through.
Standard User richi
(member) Fri 18-Jan-19 15:37:59
Print Post

Yeah. I bet the chain of cock-up went something like this:

Manager: Comcast wants more money next year for the Sky channels. We can't justify putting up the Boost prices, but we could charge an extra flat fee, just like everyone else does.

Marketroid: Cool, let's charge all the customers of the TalkTalk TV product £4/month. And we'll re-arrange the other prices so it's fair.

Developer: Awesome, I'll code up some business logic that does that. Let's see, how do I tell if an account is a "TV" customer? Oh, I know, check the logs to see if their box has checked in to download ISP-specific branding over the past 60 days, then populate the database column from that Boolean. Simples.

CS and OCE teams: [Nothing, because they weren't invited to the meetings]

(committed) Fri 18-Jan-19 18:49:36
Print Post

I bet the OCE's are seething - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/bd-p...

Standard User iefbr14
(learned) Sat 19-Jan-19 11:21:54
Print Post

And of course what they have also "accidentally" done is put a barrier in place for customers who opt out now but may want to add a short term "boost" in the future. And if you cancel that after just one month, do you then have to opt out of TTTV again ? Potentially more lost future income.

In the old days if you wanted a boost channel you simply added it through your "My Account". Now if you have opted out of TTTV you have to contact TalkTalk and get them to add the "TV access feature" to your account before you can then add the boost.

No problem if you can get an OCE to do that via the forums, but the forums are not real time and the OCEs don't work evenings and weekends, so you could be reliant on the overseas help desks - given the evidence of this topic - would they even understand what it was you were trying to do.

So what was a simple 1 step procedure will now become 2 steps with potential dubious TT human intervention.

So adding a boost "on impulse" - good luck with that.

EDIT - Chippy_Tea_ - typically active users of the TT community forums represent around 1% of TT's installed base - so the number of people opting out could be significantly larger that just those seen on the forums.

Edited by iefbr14 (Sat 19-Jan-19 11:29:39)

Standard User richi
(member) Sat 19-Jan-19 11:47:34
Print Post

typically active users of the TT community forums represent around 1% of TT's installed base.
I'm willing to bet the majority of users who get charged £4 next month won't be expecting it.

Those that notice it on their bills will outnumber the few asking to opt out right now! It's going to get ugly, unless TTR do a U-turn.

(committed) Sat 19-Jan-19 12:49:45
Print Post

No problem if you can get an OCE to do that via the forums, but the forums are not real time and the OCEs don't work evenings and weekends, so you could be reliant on the overseas help desks - given the evidence of this topic - would they even understand what it was you were trying to do.

If you need something doing use online chat the language barrier doesn't get in the way which is a big plus when you have a Cumbrian accent. laugh
Standard User iefbr14
(learned) Sat 19-Jan-19 17:32:48
Print Post

Chippy_Tea_

Is online chat 24x7 ?

Language isn't necessarily the problem.

You need the person on the other end of the "conversation" to understand what is going on and what it is you are requesting.

The help desks seem to have been very badly trained on the introduction of this charge, hence a lot of the current confusion.

Edited by iefbr14 (Sat 19-Jan-19 17:33:34)

Standard User richi
(member) Sat 19-Jan-19 18:08:03
Print Post

Not even the complaints escalation team in the so-called "CEO office" are giving out the right information. I've spoken to two of them now and they're contradicting each other.

(committed) Sat 19-Jan-19 20:06:41
Print Post

Chippy_Tea_

Is online chat 24x7 ?

Language isn't necessarily the problem.

You need the person on the other end of the "conversation" to understand what is going on and what it is you are requesting.

The help desks seem to have been very badly trained on the introduction of this charge, hence a lot of the current confusion.

I have used online chat a couple of times since it was introduced and have always been happy with the person i have been chatting to, when i spoke to them this time there was no argument and they didn't try to convince me i was making a mistake though they did point out what i would lose if i opted out (which for me is nothing) as has been discussed above.

Our live chat team
Our chat experts are available between 8am and 10pm, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and on hand to help you with everything such as questions about your bill or service, changing your package or to help you resolve any technical problems with your service. You can start a chat by selecting the chat now button at the bottom of the page.
(committed) Sat 19-Jan-19 20:10:08
Print Post

Not even the complaints escalation team in the so-called "CEO office" are giving out the right information. I've spoken to two of them now and they're contradicting each other.

Use live chat and take screen shots of the relevant parts of the conversation if you are worried about the answers, it took me less than 10 minutes including going through the security checks (name, address, part password etc) much better and quicker than phone support.

Standard User richi
(member) Tue 22-Jan-19 13:43:47
Print Post

The plot thickens: At least one OCE is "clarifying" that this charge will be levied on all TTR customers, whether or not they have a YouView box! See message M259726.

(committed) Tue 22-Jan-19 14:04:39
Print Post

The plot thickens: At least one OCE is "clarifying" that this charge will be levied on all TTR customers, whether or not they have a YouView box! See message M259726.

Sounds like they haven't a clue whats going on i will be surprised if they charge customers who haven't got a box surely its illegal.
Standard User richi
(member) Tue 22-Jan-19 14:20:31
Print Post

That's my assumption too, but Arne was directly asked about it, and this was his clarification response. He's been working in CS for TTR since 2004, according to his profile, so he should know what he's talking about.

(member) Tue 22-Jan-19 18:22:43
Print Post

If TT charges the customers that do not have a box they could be defending why , because it is not a legal action.
But why would TT take such a risk.?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jan-19 20:47:29
Print Post

[re: ironman12345] [link to this post]

Believe the forum moderator has misunderstood some of the comms going round...

"TalkTalk would like to inform you that on the
27th January TalkTalk will be changing
their TV subscription costs. From this date
TalkTalk will be applying a £4 fee to all
connected TV for new & existing customers.
Therefore to confirm it will be the
current broadband price point + £4 charge +
£7 TV Select or £12 Entertainment for
all customers except Loyalty. "

Is what we've been told and will be updating TV package pricing in listings to reflect this on 27th - assuming the change goes ahead

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User richi
(member) Wed 23-Jan-19 12:24:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
assuming the change goes ahead
LOL wink

Standard User richi
(member) Wed 23-Jan-19 12:30:05
Print Post

Hilariously, there's at least one volunteer mod on the official forum who is deleting posts that express criticism of the execution of the new plan.

Sorry, did I say deleting? I meant moving to the moderation queue. (To be clear: I don't mean a TalkTalk employee. The OCEs are generally doing an amazing job under what must be awful circumstances.)

Standard User richi
(member) Tue 29-Jan-19 17:00:21
Print Post

More platitudes received from the so-called "CEO Office" yesterday. It's interesting to see the way the boilerplate responses are evolving. One of the more recent additions is the claim that we were all given "30 days notice" (as if that makes the sneaky communication any better).

However, I was only given 19 days' notice: Letter dated Jan 15, arrived Jan 16, charge begins Feb 4.

(member) Tue 29-Jan-19 20:43:17
Print Post

One thing that TT seem to have forgotten , is that a lot of clients [customers] will leave them and a lot will not even join.?
Standard User bs0d
(experienced) Wed 30-Jan-19 10:04:53
Print Post

TalkTalk actually say now all of their packages come with TV now even if you dont have a tvbox.

So they're applying this £4 charge to everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Standard User richi
(member) Wed 30-Jan-19 12:36:59
Print Post

[re: bs0d] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bs0d:
TalkTalk actually say now all of their packages come with TV now even if you dont have a tvbox.

So they're applying this £4 charge to everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!
The best information we have is that the £4 charge is only applied if you have connected a YouView box to your home network in the past 60 days (it doesn't need to be a TalkTalk-branded box though). This info originally came via the PR department, and has since been confirmed by two CEO-complaint reps, plus at least one OCE.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Jan-19 14:33:08
Print Post

[re: bs0d] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bs0d:

Where do they say that? I see no evidence of that on that TalkTalk sales website.

Oliver.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Wed 30-Jan-19 17:11:57
Print Post

Just for interest I inquired about BB/calls package on the TT website, wondering if the £4 charge is mentioned to new customers. Compulsory 'question' second screen into the site:
Yes, it's my line and I'd like to switch it to TalkTalk

Who in their right mind would agree to this even before they could get a quote? I closed the window PDQ
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Jan-19 17:44:45
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

I followed the new order process and got to this screen in the end: https://imgur.com/a/vGRRltm

No obligation to add £4 for TV, although it was an optional extra offered.

Oliver.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Jan-19 17:51:25
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
Just for interest I inquired about BB/calls package on the TT website, wondering if the £4 charge is mentioned to new customers. Compulsory 'question' second screen into the site:
Yes, it's my line and I'd like to switch it to TalkTalk

Who in their right mind would agree to this even before they could get a quote? I closed the window PDQ

Or you can get a quote on the TT website without entering your tel number, ie postcode/address only. This is the result for my address, its clear TT do not levy the £4 charge for new broadband only customers:

https://i.postimg.cc/1z9dRv4M/TalkTalk.jpg

Edit: Beaten to it by Oliver341 smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 30-Jan-19 17:57:31)

Standard User richi
(member) Mon 04-Feb-19 12:51:21
Print Post

Well the latest development is "interesting"...

Some people are now being told they were sent the £4 letter by mistake, and the £4 will not apply to them. I've not seen a clear statement to the effect that the "mistake" was identifying people simply by having a YouView box connected over the past 60 days, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what TT means.

Standard User richi
(member) Mon 11-Feb-19 14:43:58
Print Post

Some people are now being told they were sent the £4 letter by mistake, and the £4 will not apply to them.
…and at least one is now complaining that they were charged £4 after all!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to