General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mun
(newbie) Wed 08-Sep-10 05:26:54
Print Post

BSOD's with 0.9.6.5 (pssdklbf.sys)

[link to this post]

Received 3 BSOD's with tbbMeter over the past 6 hours. Andrew - I've emailed the minidumps over.

Strangely, I had been on 0.9.6.5 since 31/08 but all of a sudden had numerous BSOD's. Nothing special going on / installed recently.

Currently reverted back to 0.9.5.3 and deleted the packet sniffer drivers. Willing to reinstall latest version for testing if needed.

My configuration:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Avast 5.0.594
Comodo Firewall 4.1.150349.920
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Wed 08-Sep-10 08:20:34
Print Post

Re: BSOD's with 0.9.6.5 (pssdklbf.sys)

[re: Mun] [link to this post]

I wonder if this is anything to do with it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Sep-10 09:47:52
Print Post

In theory you should be able to run 0.9.6.6 in old school mode by selecting disable TCP/UDP settings.

As for BSOD, use exact same version on a Win 7 64bit, but not that combo of firewall and AV, suspect there is some interaction. We've already had to code a handler for Kaspersky which was doubling the traffic figures.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator john
(founder) Wed 08-Sep-10 15:16:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No, that was just migrating everything from one server to another.

john

John Hunt
Co-Founder,
thinkbroadband.com
john@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Wed 08-Sep-10 17:18:43
Print Post

[re: john] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john:
No, that was just migrating everything from one server to another.
Heh! smile

With 44 years in the business, I hear you tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User swirus
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Sep-10 13:16:46
Print Post

I have had a number of these BSODs lately, including one just now with 9.0.6.7. I'm a bit worried about the overall effect they're having on my system - one made it unbootable - some kind of chkdsk loop I think - requiring a running Windows Repair from the installation disk. The most recent knocked my RAID array out of sync - it's currently rebuilding. So I've removed TBBMeter.

In roundabout a year on this system Reliability and Performance Monitor reports no Windows failures before 03/09/2010.

Is there a standard form for reporting the details of a set of crashes like this? I looked in the FAQ but couldn't anything apart from the request to mail team@. What details to send?

I am on Win Vista 64, using an Asus P6T Deluxe and one of the built-in ethernet ports. I do have Kaspersky Internet Security installed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--
Swirus...
Buy this car to drive to work. Drive to work to pay for this car.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Sep-10 11:48:41
Print Post

[re: swirus] [link to this post]

The problem here is that the crashes are in a library I don't have source code control of.

It looks like there may be certain combinations of os/hardware where its not bullet proof, and returned to the more reliable all data measuring system is what you want.

By disabling TCP/UDP monitoring you will stop using the pssdk.dll library, but not get any wan/lan traffic.

One cause for some blue screens appeared to be the library over runing its TCP buffer, this was increased in size for version 0.9.6.7 but assuming you were doing just average web browsing, rather than 100's of downloads/uploads the buffer is already 100's times bigger than it need be.

Kaspersky is interesting too, in that it appears to buffer and double the amount of data we see, I installed it as a trial. Other firewall products don't have this issue.

Standard User swirus
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Sep-10 11:36:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OK thanks Andrew, I'll give it a try with TCP/UDP monitoring off.

--
Swirus...
Buy this car to drive to work. Drive to work to pay for this car.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Sep-10 11:16:23
Print Post

Seen it now

Ok managed to break it on one of my PC's will create a beta with a lot of logging and see what is causing it.

Looks like it is linked to the number of download/upload threads on the machine, i.e. the TCP or UDP tables may be filling up, and the DLL doing this bit does not handle it gracefully.

Standard User lukeylad118
(newbie) Sun 25-Sep-11 23:33:59
Print Post

BSOD: Please Reply

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just experienced a BSOD from what appears to be the same thing. Disabled the program just as a precaution. Could one of the staff please post in this thread or PM me when an update fixing this issue has been released. I use this on every computer in my household to monitor everyone's downloads, and have never had a problem up until literally 5 minutes ago.

The computer that BSOD has never before today.

Thanks
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to