General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User T1Cybernetic
(regular) Sun 02-Jan-11 15:26:14
Print Post

Default Browser Options.

[link to this post]

Sorry to be a pain, This seems a little trivial but is there an option to select which browser tbbMeter opens?

When I click the thingbroadband banner on tbbMeter It opens up Internet Explorer (Which I haven't used for donkeys years) I am using Google Chrome wink If it helps.

Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend. (Bruce Lee)
Standard User ispcrco
(newbie) Mon 20-May-13 13:34:00
Print Post

Re: Default Browser Options.

[re: T1Cybernetic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by T1Cybernetic:
Sorry to be a pain, This seems a little trivial but is there an option to select which browser tbbMeter opens?

When I click the thingbroadband banner on tbbMeter It opens up Internet Explorer (Which I haven't used for donkeys years) I am using Google Chrome wink If it helps.

Having exactly the same problem here.
Was working OK until Windows decided to update to IE10. Immediately after the update both IE and Chrome said that they were the default browser (clicking on a file on my HD loaded Chrome however). So I installed Firefox, made that the default, checked that both Chrome and IE no longer thought they were the default and tried again to speed test, still IE. Rebooted and set Chrome to default, still IE.
Do I need to completely uninstall IE completely to stop it from loading?

Running Win 7 (64 bit).

Standard User ispcrco
(newbie) Mon 20-May-13 14:01:10
Print Post

[re: ispcrco] [link to this post]

Found that uninstalling IE (completely) from the system, stopped speed test loading at all, so ran CCleaner which found some IE registry entries outstanding:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\XEV.GenericApp\shell\open\ddeexec\application]
@="IExplore"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\XEV.OriginalApp\shell\open\ddeexec\application]
@="IExplore"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xslfile\shell\Open\ddeexec\application]
@="IExplore"

Which (from a Developers point of view) could be being used when using DDE to communicate with IE. Just a thought. smile

Cleaned the registry,restarted, uninstalled and reinstalled tbbmeter and now it is all OK (without IE on the machine).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ispcrco
(newbie) Fri 07-Jun-13 11:49:51
Print Post

After a while of not using tbbmeter, I've re-installed it and first time in it ran OK. (The only browsers on this PC are Chrome and Firefox, with Chrome being the default. IE has been removed from the PC).
After a reboot, fails to find http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html also when using the link in the 'About tbbmeter' display (to http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html). This doesn't work either.

Might there be a link with CCleaner? I know this was upsetting Microsoft Security essentials before a default option was removed in CCleaner?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Jun-13 16:00:06
Print Post

Sounds very like the some software may be be blocking aspects of the app

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ispcrco
(newbie) Fri 07-Jun-13 19:08:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Sounds very like the some software may be be blocking aspects of the app

There might be a problem if tbbMeter relies on cookies as they get cleared at each start-up.

If it does require cookies, why doesn't the lack of a cookie drop it back to it's default state (where it worked with whatever is the default browser), rather that just doing nothing?

TCPView shows no internet access is being attempted from the exe.

Short of turning on Visual Studio debugger and working through assembler listings, with no hope of ever getting it fixed, I think I'll have to go back and uninstall it as it's currently useless.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Jun-13 21:13:30
Print Post

Applications do not use cookies.

You said that too of the URL's do not work, but as they work on other setups and the test ones when launched from the application it suggestions one of

1. Something is blocking the app
2. Shell is not able to launch a default browser

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk

Edited by MrSaffron (Fri 07-Jun-13 21:15:10)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to