General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dw2011
(newbie) Thu 20-Jan-11 23:42:18
Print Post

Meter stats and online stats discrepency

[link to this post]

Hello,
I recently started using tbbmeter due to MAJOR USAGE ISSUES with my ISP. I though that if I had my own detailed stats I would have an idea as to why my ISP (thinks) my usage was astronomical.
However, after running it for a few days, I noticed that the daily stats on the meter were not the same as the online stats (after registering with the site). I have two computers in the household and both have tbbmeter installed and they're both registered on my tbb website statistics page.
For example, today i watched a BBC iplayer show which according to my laptop was about 400Mb, online it only registered 113Mb...?
This is no good to me if it doesn't record the usage properly!?
Any ideas/ explanations...
Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Jan-11 23:52:45
Print Post

Re: Meter stats and online stats discrepency

[re: dw2011] [link to this post]

We only upload the usage stats roughly every 24 hours - if we uploaded them all the time then it would increase your usage - a self defeating task

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dw2011
(newbie) Fri 21-Jan-11 16:01:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for replying to my query. However, this still doesn't solve the problem.
I exported each computers monthly stats and added them together on a spreadsheet so I could compare it to the online version.
I have a link to my tbbmeter stats online and my spreadsheet version (screengrabs). As you will see there is a difference...

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/deiniolwill...
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/deiniolwill...

For example: the first recorded day is the 17thJan - online shows 74.2 Total, tbbmeter shows 40.9MB.
The following two days are almost identical exept for a few MB discrepancy.
However on the 20thJan - online shows 132.5MB total, tbbmeter shows 460.5MB total. On that day my partner and i watched the iplayer(as mentioned in previous post) but it doesn't seem to show online. I understand from your reply that it only updates every now and then so there will be a discrepancy for a while but it should have updated by now? How often and when does it update online?
Sorry if this seem a bit long winded, but I just want to be sure so that I can take the fight up with BT!
Cheers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Jan-11 17:22:10
Print Post

As a general rule trust the data from each machine, it is possible there is an oddity with the uploading, though at last test (some months ago) it was accurate.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 21-Jan-11 17:24:14
Print Post

I think Networx will give you the functionality you want.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User dw2011
(newbie) Sat 22-Jan-11 11:44:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.
I think Iíll go with the stats on my computers as the online ones are a bit too unreliable in regards to my ISP usage (my computer stats match up fairly accurately with my ISP usage).
Thanks for your help though!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Jan-11 11:49:53
Print Post

Will try and look into it.

I have a special version of the meter that can create fake results, and is used for testing the website.

Later in 2011 I will be looking at a way to allow tbbmeter to talk to other tbbmeter apps on a LAN.

Print Thread

Jump to