It appears that sometimes upgrades work and other times they do not. To this end I've tweaked the tbbmeterchecker.exe process which handles the upgrade.
When Version 0.9.8.2 is released it will automatically download this updated exe (250KB) in the meantime if people have had an upgrade that has failed then I suggest the following procedure:
1. Navigate to the tbbmeter folder using windows explorer
2. Check that you are missing the tbbmeter.exe file
3. Verify that the tbbmeter.new.exe file exists
4. Rename tbbmeter.new.exe to tbbmeter.exe and the application should run, if it does skip to step 8
5. If in step (2) tbbmeter.exe exists, and tbbmeter.new.exe exists then
6. Rename tbbmeter.exe to something else and rename tbbmeter.new.exe to tbbmeter.exe
7. tbbmeter should run
8. To avoid this problem in the future download a new tbbmeterchecker.exe
9 Download from http://tbbmeter.thinkbroadband.com/open/tbbmeterchec...
10. Rename you existing tbbmeterchecker.exe to tbbmeterchecker.old
11. Extract tbbmeterchecker.exe from the zip file and put it in the same folder as tbbmeter.exe
12. Thats it.