General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User HighlandFin
(newbie) Tue 07-Jun-11 16:46:45
Print Post

Usage monitor

[link to this post]

Hi
Watching UTube videos and downloading from the site does not show on the tbb usage meter. Any help??
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Jun-11 17:13:55
Print Post

Re: Usage monitor

[re: HighlandFin] [link to this post]

YouTube usage is showing up, what do you have selected under Types of Traffic in tbbmeter's menu.

Also if the web browser was open prior to installing tbbmeter, it will not have seen the TCP socket creation, and not be able to track the usage.

If differentiating between LAN and WAN traffic is not important, this can be avoided with Disable TCP/UDP Monitoring

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ffox
(member) Wed 08-Jun-11 10:35:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yesterday I changed isps to get FTTC and now have a monthly usage limit. The ttbbmeter usage (all internet traffic) yesterday was 669MB whereas the isp's was 771 MB. (Tbbmeter was including traffic before the switch-over.) I didn't know which to believe so I switched the router Traffic Meter on.

Today's usage so far: tbbmeter is showing usage of 38.25 MB, the isp is showing 309 MB and the router 310 MB.

Edit: There is one other PC on the network (same router). Perhaps its internet traffic is not included?

Plusnet Value Fibre, Netgear WNR 1000, St Ives Cambs

Edited by ffox (Wed 08-Jun-11 10:44:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Jun-11 10:41:07
Print Post

[re: ffox] [link to this post]

Is tbbmeter running on EVERYTHING that is connected to the router?

Have you tried switching to the Disable TCP/UDP monitoring mode? In case there is something odd going on with the LAN/WAN splitting.

If you download a 20MB file via the tbbmeter tool itself, does the usage figures increase by 20MB?
When doing a speedtest or downloading a file, does the green area reflect your actual download speed?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ffox
(member) Wed 08-Jun-11 10:56:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The usage figures increase by the amount I download via the tbbmeter tool and the green area matches the speed. I've disabled TCP/UDP monitoring and will report again later.

Plusnet Value Fibre, Netgear WNR 1000, St Ives Cambs
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 08-Jun-11 12:29:07
Print Post

[re: ffox] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ffox:
Edit: There is one other PC on the network (same router). Perhaps its internet traffic is not included?
tbbMeter measures the traffic through the PC's network connection, not the router. So as MrSaffron says, it needs to be installed on all of them. You also need to tell it to exclude the LAN traffic.

The figures from each are uploaded every so often to the tbbMeter website where you can see the totals, though with only two adding them up yourself is easier.

It will not detect anything used by games consoles.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to