General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User scarne
(newbie) Wed 10-Aug-11 18:02:38
Print Post

tbbMeter giving daft readings

[link to this post]

I use tbbMeter on three PCs. Recently (after an upgrade to 0.9.8.5) the software started giving me nonsense readings (see below) on one of the PCs, a netbook running XP Home.

The readings on that PC are all way too low. For example, I downloaded a file which I know to be 10MB, but tbbMeter said that less than 100kb had been downloaded.

Any suggestions how to fix this?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Aug-11 19:54:50
Print Post

Re: tbbMeter giving daft readings

[re: scarne] [link to this post]

tbbmeter has a variety of modes, which mode was it running in, i.e. TCP/UDP or one of the other modes.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User scarne
(newbie) Wed 10-Aug-11 20:42:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's set to "All internet traffic (TCP/UDP)".

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Aug-11 10:29:17
Print Post

Try the disable TCP/UDP mode, which uses the old (about a year old method).

Sometimes due to the way the AV systems work we miss traffic that was started before tbbmeter was running, generally all OK after the next reboot

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User scarne
(newbie) Thu 11-Aug-11 11:26:25
Print Post

Yes, the disable mode has worked. Thank you for that.

This mode does mean that it captures transfers between my PCs, which I had wanted to avoid. Is there any way to get the "Internet traffic" mode to work? Do you have a hypothesis as to what might be preventing it from functioning properly? After all, it works on my other PCs.

Regards

Simon
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Aug-11 11:57:15
Print Post

That mode should work, only time I've seen it have problems is when using some combinations of security packages, i.e. it is possible your AV software was blocking the packet sniffing as we were not a trusted program.

The old method is less intrusive and will generally work no matter what firewall/av is in use.

Standard User scarne
(newbie) Thu 11-Aug-11 15:51:39
Print Post

Thanks again for your continuing help.

I have checked my security software (ZoneAlarm Extreme Security). I have changed the "trust" level for tbbmeter to Super (from Ask) which now matches the trust level on my other PC, for which tbbmetter works, but it's still not allowing me to measure internet-only traffic.

Can you think of anything else I might try. It's quite important to me to monitor internet traffic, but not the traffic which flows via my local network of PCs.

Any help would be much appreciated
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Aug-11 16:21:00
Print Post

Try switching to Internet and local traffic, it is possible the traffic is being mis-identified as local....

If that mode shows lots of data when accessing the internet, under test tools select Download 5MB file and record TCP Data log.

This should record a packet sniff of what traffic the meter did see.

Standard User scarne
(newbie) Thu 11-Aug-11 16:29:06
Print Post

Tried "Internet and local traffic (TCP/UDP)" and it doesn't record traffic coming through the internet (or, rather, just tiny fractions of the amount I am downloading - I downloaded 10MB and it shows 24 kb).

In other words, it's back to square one.
  Print Thread

Jump to