General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mw89730
(newbie) Tue 23-Aug-11 10:32:13
Print Post

persist.binxxx.bak files

[link to this post]

Hi - what are the persist.binxxx.bak files? Looking at the modification times I guess they are log files that contain meter data for 30 minutes.

When exactly do they get deleted? After 24 hours since the first file was written to? Or when tbbMeter starts on a new day? Does the data from the persist.binxxx.bak files get written to the daily files (Mon.bin etc)? When does this happen?

All in all, Id' like to understand when which files are written. Reason for asking is that the backup program that runs on my laptop (work machine) seems to try and backup files even after they have been deleted. Really annoying as it takes many minutes before it moves to the next file and with so many persist files it adds up to a considerable amount of time. The obvious solution would be to tell the backup to ignore the tbbMeter files but our company doesn't allow us to do this.

Cheers
Michael

Edited by mw89730 (Tue 23-Aug-11 10:32:48)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Aug-11 12:55:59
Print Post

Re: persist.binxxx.bak files

[re: mw89730] [link to this post]

Day.bin are a copy of persist.bin for that day (may hold two months or more of usage data)

The .binxxx.bak are simply copies created each time persist.bin is updated, i.e. every 30 minutes. From memory I think we only store ten of these, the oldest being deleted.

A backup program should check the the file still exists if it is building a file list and iterating this at a later point.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mw89730
(newbie) Tue 23-Aug-11 16:32:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew - could you switch off creating those saved snapshots of persist.bin? And could I delete them without impact on the tbbMeter?

I seem to be getting 20-24 of these files every day.

Cheers
Michael

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Aug-11 17:34:46
Print Post

You can delete them if you wish, no switch in the config that I can recall.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 23-Aug-11 18:13:46
Print Post

You could create a small batchfile to delete them on startup.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data
Standard User mw89730
(newbie) Tue 23-Aug-11 21:29:06
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Thanks for responses. I will create a startup script to clear those files.

Cheers
Michael
  Print Thread

Jump to